Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whippet real good! With photos...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, it looks like I wone this one, A Stetson Whippet. Hard to tell the age though, and it will definately need a cleaning & reblocking along with the sweat band either being re-attached or replaced. It's hard to tell from the photos though. Also, I hedged my bets and hoped that his measurement of the inside cercumference was correct.:rolleyes:
Anyway I just thought I'd share this with you and see if the experts here would possably be able to date this item by the liner logo.
Here she be.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stetson-Whippet-size-6-7-8-from-Harris-Dallas_W0QQitemZ290011168361QQihZ019QQcategoryZ52369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There wasn't any bites on it all week until this morning. I think most folks saw the title with the 6 7/8 and passed it by without ever looking inside. I'm happy I did. Like I said, I hope that his 23" assessment is correct. If it doesn't fit I guess I can either pass it on to my stepson or one of the Loungers with a diminutive knoggin. We'll see what happens.
So Art, what kind of magic do you think you could preform on this venerable old lid?;) I'm guessing the brim binding will need replacing as well, maybe. I'll be able to make a better assessment once I get my mitts on it. But, I am quite sure that with a month and a half in Arts care this will be one stellar sun shade.:)

Cheers!

Dan

"Ideal for decoration or costumes," the seller says.
Harrumph to that, I say, as one who would wear a costume only on Halloween, if even then, but who would gladly wear that hat.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure it will need a reblock, but it looks like it
will need the sweat stitched back in.

The liner looks very 40s to me- that cellulite/oiled silk or
whatever it was they used before plastic.

Nice hat. Here's hoping the measurement is right-
brave of you. I suppose you didn't ask the seller
to look under the sweat for the reorder tag?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Gang!

Sorry Tony, I had set my bidding max at my high end. I was away that morning and couldn't sit & monitor it.[huh]

You're prpbably right about it not needing a re-block Feltfan, but I'm quite sure it's due for a good cleaning. It's kind of hard to tell in the photos with the sweatband so I will have to wait & see if it will need a re-stitching or repalcement. Yes, I too hope that the bet pays off and it fits well. I didn't ask the seller, I just jumped in with both feet. We'll see though.
So being a 40's hat It would probably go well with this Ad then.

16057301_o.jpg

I've seen plenty of this ad on e-bay, so I may pick one up for the collection to go with the hat.

There was another Whippet on e-bay that they called the Bing Crosby hat,
http://cgi.ebay.com/the-BING-CROSBY-hat-vintg-40s-STETSON-WHIPPET-fedora_W0QQitemZ280010205935QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.
Did anyone on the Longe get this one and keep it secret? This one I almost had. Oh well.:) Hope it went to a Lounger. Thanks again guys for the kind comments, I can't wait to get the little package on my doorstep soon. It's like waiting for those x-ray glasses you ordered out of the back of a comic book.;)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well it arived today! Wow, that was some lightning fast shipping.
It's about as dingey as I thought it would be and will need a good cleaning, stretch and re-block to fit well and look swell again. The sweat band will need a replacing since it is on the verge of disintegrating. But other than that the hat is in pretty good shape. Has the odor of sitting around in either an attic or a garage with the yellow tinge of aged baked dust.
On the sweatband the Royal Stetson is stamped in a copper color instead of the usual gold on one side, and the store, "A. Harris & Co., Dallas Texas" is in gold on the other side. There are two stickers under the sweat band on the hat. The Red one reads "Do not give this number when reordering - see other sticker" with a number below "8 40". The Orange sticker reads "To reorder mention number" with the number below "360141". Not sure if the number on the red sticker is the date or not.
On the underside of the Stetson logo on the sweatband there are two numbers. The first is the reorder number stensiled, "360141", then below it is a hand written number "15585". Not sure what that one is.
Needless to say this hat has seen better days, but it does have potential. I will be in contact with Art soon to see what magic he can perform.
Here are a few photos of the new arival.

IM000827.jpg

IM000829.jpg

IM000855.jpg

IM000854.jpg

IM000848.jpg

IM000847.jpg

IM000850.jpg

IM000844.jpg

Sorry about the crummy photos. The camera doesn't seem to do well with closeups. Not good for Demille.
Thanks in advance for any help in dating the age of this lid.

Cheers!

Dan

astaire

One of the Regulars
i just love it

I don't know about anyone else, but i love it when i get a hat that has seen better days. The possibilities seem almost endless (good and bad though). but i guess that's part of what makes this interest of ours more fun.

It's also awesome when you can find the ad that matches the hat. I had luck with one of my favorite hats, following James Powers' footstep. I have a knox fifteen that matches an ad from an old magazine and it adds a bit of history to the hat. I will try to post in a new thread later today if possible.

Congrats on your whippet DanielJones...like i said, i just love it!:eusa_clap

BTW, that bow is unusually nice for a stetson. hmm......

squid

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Sorry about the crummy photos. The camera doesn't seem to do well with closeups. Not good for Demille.
Thanks in advance for any help in dating the age of this lid.

Photobucket is blocked by the firewall at work so I can't see the photos until I get home. I have had luck standing back and zooming in for pictures of my hats. They are less blurry and the flash doesn't wash out. I can't see your pictures so I don't know if that is why they didn't turn out well.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Astaire: Thank you very much. I'll admit the photos do it justice. I person it's not as pretty. But, it does have potential for being a great looking hat, we just have to clean away the years of baked on dust & sweat sot see what awaits underneath. Little things like the stickers inside and the tiny moth nibble under the brim add character.;)

Baron: The sizing seems to be a shrunken 7 1/8 by the way it fits. Like I had said I think it had been stored in either an attic or a garage that got fairly hot. Since the sweat band is crumbling before my eyes and needs replacing anyway, I'll have Art give it a good stretch to get the sizing back in order.

Squid: As far as the photos go, I tried backing away and using the zoom. Made things worse.:( Oh well, a new camera is on the horizon anyway.;)

One thing I would love to learn about this lid is the age. I'm thinking maybe early 40's judging by the copper color of the Stetson logo on the sweat band, but that's just a guess.
Another guess is the red sticker with the "8 40" on it. I'm guessing that it is either a date or the inspectors number.[huh]

Anyway, thank you for the kind comments, I'm quite sure this will be a gem soon.

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

DJ, that hat looks like it will clean up reall well. You definitely have a winner.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well folks, it went off to Art today. Yeah! I swear the sweatband and the stitching was disintegrated even further today when I put it in the box to ship off. Funky.[huh]
I wonder what it will look like by the time Art gets it? I'm sure it will come back a 1000 times better though.:)

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

No doubt. I am waiting till after my vacation to send out my hats to Art.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here it be!

Back from Art's masterful hands. It turned out fantastic and very comfortable. I'd have to say I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! The ribbon & brim binding are a perfect match for the hat.

IG035.jpg

IG039.jpg

Thanks again Art, it turned our fabulous!

Cheers!

Dan

Tony in Tarzana

Yep, I need to box up about a half-dozen of mine and ship 'em off to Art. Some need cleaning and blocking, some need the sweatbands re-stitched like my Adam topper, my Lock fedora and my weird Royal Stetson Open Road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally