Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where the bowler lives on.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
The Antiques Roadshow(UK) had the stately home where they were invented for the estate gamekeepers by an aristocrat called Cook. They caught the attention of the big end of town and the rest is history.

You sure the name wasn't Coke? If I remember right it was the Earl of Coke who comissioned the first from brothers who were third generation hatters.

Doh!

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Bowlers also live on in the Magritte exhibition that's traveling around the U.S.

Museum docents at the exhibition wear bowler hats.

I caught the show at LACMA -- the bowlers everywhere were a very nice touch.

Topper

Vendor
Baron Kurtz said:
still haven't worked out how to use their umbrellas, i see.

bk

Actually they are maintaining correct dress. For such functions Guards Regiments wear, "Proper order of Dress" which is City Dark Suit, Black Bowler, "Furled" Umbrella (most likely a Brigg by the looks of the photo for HRHs).

The Umbrella is furled at all times, even when raining.

Pip-Pip

Topper

Vendor
Marc Chevalier said:
Spinach! :eusa_doh:

Spinach ?? :( Confused - Over here a gentleman uses an umbrella for hailing a Cabbie, when it starts raining, so it never needs to be unfurled :D

Topper

Vendor
  • Coke = William Coke II, later the Earl of Leicester: commissioned the hat
  • Locks = Hatter who designed it
  • Bowler = Famaily of Felters/ Hat manufacture on south of river, who made it
  • Derby = Edward Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), founded "The Derby" race, The Bowler became common wear at the Derby, overseas Americans who visited the Derby, associated it the Hat with the Race.. in later years (1880ies) it is also reputed that the 15th Earl of Derby visited the Americas wearing the Style and the name "Derby" stuck.

1850 Locks called it a "coke" as he was a first client, though the south side makers called at a "bowler" after the makers. Both names are accurate, bowler is I believe now more industry standard.

Topper said:
  • Coke = William Coke II, later the Earl of Leicester: commissioned the hat
  • Locks = Hatter who designed it
  • Bowler = Famaily of Felters/ Hat manufacture on south of river, who made it
  • Derby = Edward Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), founded "The Derby" race, The Bowler became common wear at the Derby, overseas Americans who visited the Derby, associated it the Hat with the Race.. in later years (1880ies) it is also reputed that the 15th Earl of Derby visited the Americas wearing the Style and the name "Derby" stuck.

1850 Locks called it a "coke" as he was a first client, though the south side makers called at a "bowler" after the makers. Both names are accurate, bowler is I believe now more industry standard.

That's it. It was the Earl of Leicester. You defintitely know your bowler history. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Micawber

A-List Customer
cookie said:
The Antiques Roadshow(UK) had the stately home where they were invented for the estate gamekeepers by an aristocrat called Cook. They caught the attention of the big end of town and the rest is history.

That will be Holkham Hall not too far from me and where I will be attending the country fair in July. The 'keepers under Headkeeper Simon Lester still wear Coke hats.

Bowlers are often worn by stewards and officials at agricultural shows and participants in equestrian events too. For example:

DSCF0042.jpg

IMGA0156.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lives on here, as well. In there, from left to right, are a Disney, a Porter Clo., a Knox, a Perfection, and a Stetson. Of them, only the Stetson and the Disney are in good shape, and of those two, the Disney is the one which fits. Derbies are a tricky thing to buy. Condition is dicey to gague on ebay with them, and they really have to have the right oval shape.
IMG_3426.jpg

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Here in Dallas too!

I wore my vintage Stetson derby (fits wonderfully, is now my favorite hat) to work and around D/FW today.

Also, the Lagomarsino derby I won on ebay - my 20-year-old son wanted a derby too - arrived today. I have to say it is a very nice hat, well worth the money I paid. I must caution though, both the Lagomarsino Homburg and the derby required 7 5/8 instead of our usual 7 1/2. Some combination of running a little small and being too stiff to easily adjust for a LO head. But the 7 1/2 - 61 cm is going to be fine.

Both I hope will be family treasures, and well and often worn.

Is it just me, or is there something about wearing a derby that makes you feel happy, sort of jaunty?

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust