Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the difference?

Edward

Bartender
Like everyone else on here, I'm sure, I want to (once cash allows) pick up a decent Indy type hat for both 30s/40s style casual adventurer type wear, as well as occasional wear with coordinating suits etc. I'm up for spending the money on something decent, but equally I don't want to spend so much that I'm scared to wear the dern thing....

This one seems to crop up a lot as a recommendation.... any good?

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=59&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

what's the difference between this and the cheaper, standard hat (to exactly the same design) at about half the price? Difference really worth paying for?

Feraud

Bartender
I give the Fed Deluxe a thumbs up. It is a great hat for the money and you can wear it out with no problem. The Fed Deluxe is not a fragile hat.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Absolutely. Fed Deluxe is a great hat, takes a beating and soaking, and still looks good.

To answer your question, the Deluxe is a better grade of felt. As far as I know Akubra uses this felt very sparingly across their hat offerings. I've handled both and the deluxe is a denser, better hat. But the standard Fed is also a very fine hat.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks guys. From what I read here and on the thread that Flieger dug up, it sounds like the biggest difference for me (considering the level of wear) is going to be a colour issue..... I think the standard might be a better buy consdiering price in the equation for me for now, but OTOH, while I'm not gonig to be putting together a screen-accurate Indy outfit or anything, I know how anally retentive I am and if I could have had a better Indy hat for the same or very little extra money.... you know how it goes. Especially now, with the strength of the pound against the dollar... does anyone happen to have any good photos of the both together for colour difference?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
If you want better quality for the same price, talk to Ken over at Camptown Hats.
http://www.camptownhats.com/products.asp
img_prod_1936.jpg

His "1936 Fieldmaster" is a decent Indy hat. He also may still be honoring the discount for Fedora Lounge members as well. I've had one for a while and it wears like iron and still looks fantastic. It has a satin liner with a ventilated sweatband. It may be worth a look for the money. Best bang for the buck so to say.

Cheers!

Dan

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Edward,
I really think that the Fed Deluxe is not worth the extra cash. The finish is notorious for being uneven, and if you are anal-ret about it, you'll be doomed.
The regular Fed is an awesome hat, and I think a better deal overall. I don't have comparison pictures, but the regular has a strange dark brown color with slight green undertones. However, it ages nicely. The Fawn colored one is also nice (next on my list).

If you want to try the Camptown instead, now is a good time. I hear it's one heck of a hat, and he could use the business. Also in that price range is Peter Brothers, another reputable brand. If you want something accurate to the Indy hat, Camptown and Peter brothers are your best bet, and they will shape it for you if you want. If you specifically just want to get close, the regular Fed is it. All good hats in the price range, all worth what you pay. But I still say the Fed Deluxe isn't worth the extra $$$. (Sorry, guys).

Edward

Bartender
Thanks guys - I think I'll look into that Camptown as well. I've been a bit taken aback by what I read about so many hats coming "open crown" - I'm terrified of the idea of ruining a good / expensive hat if I have to do the shaping DIY! :eek:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Edward said:
Thanks guys - I think I'll look into that Camptown as well. I've been a bit taken aback by what I read about so many hats coming "open crown" - I'm terrified of the idea of ruining a good / expensive hat if I have to do the shaping DIY! :eek:

what could you possibly do to it? It's felt, it pops back.
That's like saying you're afraid to fold a shirt because you think you're going to ruin it.;)

Go for it. You can do it!:D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Scares the hell out of me, but hey ho - I's got to learn sometime!

Also, Camptown Hats gives you full instructions so you shouldn't have a problem with the shaping of a new open crowned lid. Then you cand find your own method along the way. If you look at the old films and photos of the 30's, 40's & 50's the shape of their hats are not factory crisp but sort of willy-nilly. So don't be afraid to shape the crown of a hat, they will bounce back if you're not pleased with your first results.
Happy hat shaping Edward!

Cheers!

Dan

JerseyJones

Vendor
DanielJones said:
Also, Camptown Hats gives you full instructions so you shouldn't have a problem with the shaping of a new open crowned lid. Then you cand find your own method along the way. If you look at the old films and photos of the 30's, 40's & 50's the shape of their hats are not factory crisp but sort of willy-nilly. So don't be afraid to shape the crown of a hat, they will bounce back if you're not pleased with your first results.
Happy hat shaping Edward!

Cheers!

Dan

First of all thanks for the kind words for Camptown Hats Dan!

Second, I will gladly shape a hat for you (or anyone else) and in the case of a Fedora Lounge member, Club Obi Wan Member or Fedora Chronicles Member, I will work out a good deal for you on styling.

As has been said on the topic though, if you are gentle and use your hands to dry shape your hat, you can get an idea of what you want before you set it with steam.

I will happily talk with you about that too. PM me for contact information !

Thanks
Ken

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, guys. The whoel idea of shaping a hat is just a very new concept to me - I've only ever encountered pre-shaped hats. I do see what vyou mean though about it being more 'real' - I'd liken ot to the difference between a pre-tied and a real bow tie. One of my current hats (a Fedora type the seller says is called a Boston?) came preshaped, and the front dents are now, due to the way I hold /don / doff it taking on a slightly off centre, not so uniform look, which gives it so much more personality....

I'll be in touch, Ken, once I've eBayed a few bits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust