Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's reputation of Guerra 1855 hats?

Kevlar

New in Town
One of the hats that inherited from my Dad carries this label. Inside the hat are the words Cashmere-Fell -- they are written on the lining and the sweatband. There also is a gold etching of a golden goat. And the words, Made in Italy. I did find their website and they seem to have mid-tier prices for their hats.

Very soft and light hat -- a fedora.

Anyone own one of these hats or know their reputation?

They don't make their own felt or all their own hats. They make a nice hat for a modern production hat. Most on here will not like them because of the blocking. When I visited TONAK back in 2011 I saw some Guerra hats. There a very small operation. Besdor might chime in.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
Although the OP is about 8 months, I will chime in for those who find this thread in the future. My modern Guerra is among the top 3 hats I own and compares nicely to the 50's Borsalino and a 60's Biltmore Rosellini hats that I have. I found that their are a touch small for their rated size, so factor that in when you order one.

Kevlar

New in Town
Thanks! I like it and would keep it if I did not already have enough (inherited) black fedoras -- a Rafaelli that was made in Milan, and a Borsalino Film.

Have been trying to sell it on my Etsy site -- Dad and Daughter Hats. We're not big and rich, just small and niche.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Guerra 1855 is one of the last Italian producers who have good success abroad (Germany and France in particular) The production quality is average and for some models theu are high-quality. I think it's one of the few manufacturers who still have a good quality for the European market. Blocking may not be very popular in the US market, but remain in some cases (see their catalog) excellent.
For Steve and his research on producers of felt; which are in Europe manufacturers of felt for hats really active at a good level? To my knowledge the Fepsa in Portugal and Tonak in the Czech Republic and some minor Italian and German manufacturers. Borsalino? Cappellificio Cervo (Barbisio)? Tesi and Panizza? It is hard to know where all this high class felts producers are now.
Soon I will put online two Guerra 1855 hats of my collection.

Daniele, As far as I know there aren't any commercial hat fur felt producers left in Germany or Austria. The only commercial hat fur felt producers I know of in Europe are FESPA (Portugal), TONAK (Czech Republic), PolkaP (Poland), ŠEŠIR (Slovenia), Borsalino (Italy), Cervo / Barbisio (Italy). My friend in Germany confirmed that Cervo / Barbisio are still making their own fur felt but he didn't think Cappellificio Falcus / Panizza is making their own fur felt. There is company in Romania with German / Austrian roots named S.C. Lux Periam, S.A. I am not sure if they make fur felt. I think there might be another company in Slovenia. Also Spain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe