Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on your bookshelf?

GateXC

One of the Regulars
In the couple weeks I've been hanging out at the Lounge, I see a lot of reference to films and the such, but little to none about good, old fashioned books. So I figured I'd start this thread about what classic books are we reading/have read/collect/etc.

Myself, I'm a big bibliophile so I'm usually reading at least two books concurrently.

Right now I'm making my way through the Complete Annotated Sherlock Holmes (in 3 volumes). This is a fantasic set of books for anyone interested in Holmes. The first two volumes are the short stories with the final volume being the four novels (Sign of the Four, Hound of the Baskervilles, etc). The annotations throughout reference everything from explaining the different types of carriages Holmes and Watson get into, notable figures from the period, idiosyncrasies, etc. All of which make for a very rich reading experience. They're also illustrated with the original drawings from the Strand Magazines in which they appeared.

I'm also poring through volumes of P.G. Wodehouse. I've got about 15 or so right now, another 80 to go. Fantastic, hilarious stuff about Wooster, Jeeves, Lord Ickenham, Blandings Castle, etc. All from the man whom Evelyn Waugh called the greatest English writer of the first half the 20th Century.

Other favorites on my shelves: Evelyn Waugh (of course), Patrick O'Brian (all 20 books) and Alan Furst (whose writing is amongst the best for a novelist about WWII).

Jay

Practically Family
I just finished Chandlers "The Lady in the Lake." A great read and because of a great author, of course. I'm now moving on to his collections of short stories. It's roughly 3 and a half inches of good detective stories.

My bookshelf is pretty well stocked - from queer theory to the pulp noir that the Baroness collects. Favourites are Graham Greene and, of course, Mr. W. Shakespeare. Christopher Marlowe ain't too bad, neither.

I just finished Sinclair Lewis's "It can't happen here" and just started "Setting the Pearl", a book about the annexation of Austria in 1938. I also have "Bleak House" on the go - that's a long term one. I've loved all the Dickens i read in the past, i just can't seem to get into this one. The wife tells me it gets better later in the book - I'm currently at about page 300 and it's still pretty slow going. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

For when i need a short story i have Poe, Twain and "Sketches by Boz" on the bedside table.

And of course, many books on male fashion history that i require to keep myself abreast of what i need to know to post successfully here.

bk

p.s. I'm another Holmes fan. Seems there's a lot of us around here ...

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And Dust too!

Almost evey book I can find on Hats, Aviation, Shooting, and of course, the Great Books, Plato, Aristotle, Shakespere, Mellville, St. Thomas Aquinas, many technical books, some David McCullough (Truman, Adams)...you know. anything.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I have weird taste in books.

The complete set of Imponderables. (Why do clocks turn clockwise, Do Fish Drink Water, etc.)

Both Darwin Awards Books

On Death and Dying (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross), At the Hour Of Death, When Parents Die, Here and the Hereafter (Ruth Montgomery)

Chariots of The Gods, Gods From Outer Space and Pathways To The Gods (Erich Von Daniken)

The Origin of Species (Charles Darwin)

The Unexplained (Occult)

The Book of Questions (Ethical Dilemmas)

Big Secrets, Bigger Secrets

Star Signs (Linda Goodman), The Hidden Zodiac

Saved By The Light, Where The Ghosts Are, Journeys Out of The Body, Astral Projection for Beginners

3 Atkins Diet books

2 Home Brewing Books

Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Broca's Brain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Fantastic Voyage, The Andromeda Strain, E.T., Alien, Raider's of The Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, License Renewed, Role of Honor, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Verne), Splinter of the Mind's Eye, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, 1984 (Orwell)

Everthing by Stephen King - mostly hardcover

Everything By Dave Barry - mostly soft cover

Everyting by Dean Koontz

5 Books on Hiking in New England

Biographies on the Kinks, Eddie Van Halen, Brian Wilson, Beach Boys,

Most books by Robin Cook

Everything by John Saul

A lot of Time/Life series do-it-yourself books

Many refernce books

The Stories and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe

A Chilton's Guide for every vehicle in my driveway.

The Holy Bible

8 Volumes of Mysteries of the Unknown

150 Original Spider-Man Comics

Most of Calvin and Hobbes

Most of The Far Side

Both Howard Stern Books

All 3 George Carlin books (Brain Droppings, Naplalm and Silly Putty, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?)

A nice hardbound copy of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

A ton of miscellaneous stuff...

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Right now:

The Last Valley (Dien Bien Phu)
Setting the East Ablaze (on Secret service in Bolshevik Asia) Peter Hopkirk.

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Annotated Sherlock Holmes (all three)
The Sherlockian Encyclopedia
The Art of War
The Prince
The Republic
Random Graphic Novels
The World's Greatest:
Small Arms
Rifles
Pistols
Artiliery
Machine Guns
Random WWI and WWII books
Random Biographies
All the James Bond novels by Ian Fleming
Sedors and other Prayer books for services
The Book of Everyday things
The Big Book of Secrets
Uncle John's Bathroom Readers
A few books on Gentlemenly Stuff
A bunch of Eyewitness Books
Far Side
Calvin and Hobbs
Garfield
Peanuts
...and many more...
P.S. I am in the middle of about ten books, no joke, that does not even include class work. I just can't finish one since they are kinda boring after a while like The Prince.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Well, I have three bookshelves and somehow it seems I always need more room.:p

I'm sure you all know I am a huge SW fan, so on one is my entire collection of SW Books(everything from Art books and TPBs to novels and reference guides).

The other two consist of classic, serious books(like Complete Shakespeare, Poe, Conan Doyle etc), what I call "light reading"(Ian Fleming, Chandler, Tolkein, the Sharpe Books, etc), and of various set-ups of my different interests(eg I have a small Golden Era display, a small Indy Display, etc).

I've been tempted to get that set of Holmes books to replace my copy, just need to work up the cash.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
Well, I have three bookshelves and somehow it seems I always need more room.:p

I'm sure you all know I am a huge SW fan, so on one is my entire collection of SW Books(everything from Art books and TPBs to novels and reference guides).

The other two consist of classic, serious books(like Complete Shakespeare, Poe, Conan Doyle etc), what I call "light reading"(Ian Fleming, Chandler, Tolkein, the Sharpe Books, etc), and of various set-ups of my different interests(eg I have a small Golden Era display, a small Indy Display, etc).

I've been tempted to get that set of Holmes books to replace my copy, just need to work up the cash.

True they are expensive, and use Amazon or Barnes and Nobles they both always have sales on those types of books. I have a small display of my toy soliders, a large shot glass collection, tones of antiques, and a globle and a few scultors of stuff as well.

Feraud

Bartender
I finished Hatless Jack by Neil Steinberg. Required reading for Fedora Loungers. ;) I am now reading The Poet and the Murderer by Simon Worrall. It is about historical forgery and murder. My bookshelves (2) are chock full of stuff I find interesting. History, military, mechanical, firearms, biographies, collecting, auction catalogs, clothes, film, etc. Whatever strikes my fancy gets added to the reading list.

My wife and I are both readers and our son has picked up on 'the habit'. Much to our pleasure.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
GateXC said:
In the couple weeks I've been hanging out at the Lounge, I see a lot of reference to films and the such, but little to none about good, old fashioned books. So I figured I'd start this thread about what classic books are we reading/have read/collect/etc.

Myself, I'm a big bibliophile so I'm usually reading at least two books concurrently.

Right now I'm making my way through the Complete Annotated Sherlock Holmes (in 3 volumes). This is a fantasic set of books for anyone interested in Holmes. The first two volumes are the short stories with the final volume being the four novels (Sign of the Four, Hound of the Baskervilles, etc). The annotations throughout reference everything from explaining the different types of carriages Holmes and Watson get into, notable figures from the period, idiosyncrasies, etc. All of which make for a very rich reading experience. They're also illustrated with the original drawings from the Strand Magazines in which they appeared.

Oh my gosh! I must have that series! I LOVE Sherlock Holmes!

locobuster

New in Town
Black Sheep One : The Life of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington - Bruce Gamble (highly recommended)
The Black Sheep - Bruce Gamble
The Concise Book of Axis Aircraft of World War II - David Mondey
JG 26, Top Guns of the Luftwaffe - Donald Caldwell (highly recommended)
Medal of Honor: Profiles of America's Military Heroes from the Civil War to the Present - Allen Mikaelian
The Great American Pin-Up - by Charles G. Martignette, Louis K. Meisel
and I've also been re-reading Jack Ilfrey's Happy Jack's Go Buggy for the hundreth time;)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
My house overflows with books. Every room downstairs is pretty well lined with them, even the hallway. I read all the time, but mostly non-fiction, particularly history. At the moment I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m reading ?¢‚Ǩ?ìPublic Enemies?¢‚Ǩ? by Bryan Burroughs, a new (and excellent) account of the 1930s Midwestern motor bandits (Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson etc) and Antonio Tellez's ?¢‚Ǩ?ìSabater?¢‚Ǩ?ì about the famous Spanish Anarchist guerrilla and folk hero, gunned down by Franco?¢‚ǨÀús police in 1960?¢‚Ǩ¬¶it is in many ways a very similar story to that of Dillinger and Co.

I rarely read fiction but when I do I tend to return to certain old favourites of whom I never tire.

And yes, they include Sherlock Holmes! I also recommend Conan Doyle?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Brigadier Gerard stories if you haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t read them. ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶Doyle had his lighter side too!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m also a big fan of the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìRaffles?¢‚Ǩ? stories by Doyle?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s cousin E.W Hornung.

For a lighter read - PG Woodhouse and Damon Runyan! Different continents, covering opposite ends of the social scale, but a very similar kind of wit. Also George Macdonald Frazer, especially the Flashman chronicles.

For a darker read: MR James, master of the Victorian ghost story, Jack London , Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, George Orwell.

Harry Lime

Suspended
A little of everything

I've read a lot of stuff you guys like. Love Furst and many others you guys like. Right now I'm reading a biography of Elia Kazan, just finished Public Enemies, Cast of Shadows and the a couple of Bukowski books. Recently read a biography of Bird and one on Billie Holliday.

Harry Lime

Well here is what up for me bookwise:

Right now I am perusing several Las Vegas guide books, a frommers and an "Unofficial" and my favorite guide book ACCESS Las Vegas. The Access series tend to be a great book for exploring a city or a specific area. If there is an ACCESS book for your city or a city you plan to visit, pick it up, it can be very helpful and is a good read. I am waiting for a new release for ACCESS Las Vegas because of the tremendous amount of change since the last publication. And whenever I am reading about Vegas, I tend to read bits and pieces of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" which is a great book, extremely funny in a dark way. I also have reread parts of " 24/7" and "Lady Las Vegas".

Also on my reading table is "The Book of Concord" which is what is called the Lutheran Confessions. It is an explanation of the aspects of how the differences between the prevailing Christian outlook of Roman Catholisim and the outlook of Luther and those that were part of the Reformation of the 1600's were arrived at and why. Along with a Concordia Study Bible that is NIV for easier reading. New International Version. I am also going thru Luther's Small Catechism in small chunks.

I am going to start a book on Home Theater systems. I have finished recently a book from 5th grade called "The Mad Scientist's Club" a boys adventure book.

Using Paul Erano's Fountain Pen Book along with other pen books for reseach and identification regularly. In the evenings before sleep I like to look at a variety of mail order catalogs from Pen shops, Cabela's and others. Also been perusing recepies from a cook book "Lydia Cooks Italian".

Recently I read thru most of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels. By far the best is "Moonraker", if you have never read Bond that is a very good one.

I'd like to pick up some of the Perry Mason novels at some point.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Yes, I, too am one of those with literally hundreds of books. All shapes and sizes, hardcover and paperback, fiction, non-fiction, technical, etc., etc. I've started building a database on my computer of all my books by title and author, but it will a long while before it's completed. And on top of that, I have my handy library card for when I want to read something that I don't have in my personal collection. I always have several going at any one time, depending on what I feel like reading at the moment. My current active list consists of:

Sahara Man by Jeremy Keenan

Soldier Sahibs: The Daring Adventurers Who Tamed India's Northwest Frontier by Charles Allen

Sandstorm by James Rollins

The Morning of the Magicians by Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley by Lawrence Sutin

Five Complete Travis McGee Novels by John D. MacDonald

Three Men Seeking Monsters by Nick Redfern

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe