Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What will, or did you get married in?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
SOmeday I will get married. I used to think I would go old school and wear my best suit (Vnitage that is) which is what most guys used to do. But now I have a cream belted back thirties double breasted, which used to be kind of a tradition in the Philipines and probably other hot climates. I think that is what I will wear. What I will not wear is a chep rented tuxedo. If I marry a rich enough woman to have a formal sit down dinner, i might consider a real dinner suit. Or if I marry a rich european or into diplomatic circles (yeah, right) I guess I will have to wear a morning suit. Most people seem to go in for the odd unique uniform of the grey or black cheap tuxedo that has little to do with formal attire or anything else.

I do kind of dig the fifties and sixties tradition of the white dinner jacket. You see it alot with those crew cut, bkg black glasses and probably off to viet nam before too long.

So, what did or will you wear, guys?

farnham54

A-List Customer
If the lady will have it, I'll be wearing Board shorts and a T-shirt--the guests will sit in patio chairs with the built in coolers under the seat (obviously full of alkey-hol). Music provided by a guitar and a singer, thats it. Very low key, only my closest friends.

I'm sure I've just made a few members vomit--my goal is clear though--as relaxed an environment as is possible. People get stressed enough over weddings without all the extra stuff. Given that the odds of finding a lady that is OK with that are slim to none (though I may be on the "slim" streek now, she's fantastic!) I like to keep on dreamin'.

Cheers
Craig

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
When I got married, I was not the sartorial magnate that I am now ;) My ex-wife and I agreed that I would wear a simple hemp-looking outfit, band collar shirt, pajama type pants, sandals (we were married on an island in August), etc. She had a red dress made for herself (wasn't all that great). Were I ever to tie the knot again, I would put on real clothes...and might even wear a tux (a cutaway), though I think my best-fitting custom suit and shirt (and one of my crazy cool vintage ties) would do just fine. The trouble for me would be: wear the hat up to the altar and have a best-man hold it? Take off the hat before entering the proceedings? Keep the hat on (I reckon not...I would take that as an insult were I the woman)?

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Full Highland attire, of course! Kilt, evening plaid, etc. The wedding was complete with piper, dancers, etc.

We *still* get people telling us it was one of the most fun weddings they've ever attended.

griffer

Practically Family
I wore a classic tux that I own.

narrow notch lapel, with a lay down tux shirt, no frills.

black braces, cummerbund, and real black bow tie.

My wife had a beautiful white dress...

The ceremony was in a french quarter courtyard at night on halloween.

62LisaErikBW.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
Mrs W and I were married at the Graceland Chapel of Love, Las Vegas. Even Elvis was in attendance!

I wanted to get married in a gold suit, but Mrs W said she agreed to the Vegas Elvis thing, but for me to wear a gold suit was a no no.

So I wore a gold shirt, a black 3 piece suit and a tie with Elvis on.

As for Mrs W, all I remember is she looked beauitful.

Harry

Godfrey Park

Wow!

griffer said:
I wore a classic tux that I own.

narrow notch lapel, with a lay down tux shirt, no frills.

black braces, cummerbund, and real black bow tie.

the thong was a whole different story...

My wife had a beautiful white dress...

The ceremony was in a french quarter courtyard at night on halloween.

62LisaErikBW.jpg

You two look fabulous, Griffer!

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
I have to ask Griffer, which courtyard in the French Quarter?

My wife and I got married in the courtyard of the Chateua Sonesta in New Orleasn on New Year's Eve 2003. I wore my personal tuxedo, and she had a beautiful white gown. After our reception, we walked through the Quarter. Most people asked us if we were for real, and then wanted to have their picture made with us. Owners of bars offered us free champagne to come intop their places, because we were drawing such a crowd. It took us the better part of 2 hours to walk the 8 (very short) blocks to the river to see the fireworks. Oh, following the old New Olreans tradition, my wife had enough money pinned to her wedding gown to pay for it twice over. Her girlfriends had to keep removing money in order to make room for people to pin more money to her dress.

undertaker

Practically Family
Archie Goodwin said:
Oh, following the old New Olreans tradition, my wife had enough money pinned to her wedding gown to pay for it twice over. Her girlfriends had to keep removing money in order to make room for people to pin more money to her dress.

I wore my own plain tuxedo, white tie, white braces, white waist coat and paptent leather shoes. My wife wore a white lacey dress with a long, full, train, plenty of room for money. If I had known then what I know now we would have gotten married in New Orleans!:eusa_doh: lol lol lol

Regards,
J.S.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
I wore vintage morning dress when I got married last month:

(snip, photos)
I recently have got to thinking about acquiring a cutaway. I know I won't want to wear a bowtie with it, but a regular tie, probably with a vest. I could only hope to approach the stylishness you exude here. Looking really sharp. Well done! :eusa_clap

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
adamgottschalk said:
I recently have got to thinking about acquiring a cutaway. I know I won't want to wear a bowtie with it, but a regular tie, probably with a vest. I could only hope to approach the stylishness you exude here. Looking really sharp. Well done! :eusa_clap

Thanks! If you do get a cutaway/morning coat, you should definitely wear it with a vest, and you should probably stay away from bowties anyway. Morning dress is traditionally only worn with an ascot or a normal four-in-hand tie. I've always thought that ascots looked somewhat goofy, so I went with the four-in-hand.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Love it. You look great. To be honest, I don't know if I could feel right wearing it. I think it is a class thing. I would personally possibly feel it was dressing in a style that I was not part of class wise.

It may sound odd. I have no problem doing it with vintage. I might dress like a gentleman, or a gangster, or a 30s musician, or wear a tuxedo or white tie.

BUt since this is still common dress for people of the upper class in England and somewhat less America, I don't know if I would wear it for myself.

Is that weird? Can anyone else here relate.

It isn't like I am insecure and don't feel as good as the upper class. And god knows, I spent ten years dressing in nothing but vintage, often very costumy (zoot suiter) and a real stand out or even weirdo to some people.

ANyway, nothing about your choice. You look fantastic and I love it on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe