Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the heck does "soiled" mean?

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
I have seen some hats that have a "soiling" issue on the crown or on the liner but what does that mean? Does anyone have a picture of this so called soil? Is it dark? Do you put it in the ground?

Sorry if this has been touched on before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

bingolittle

New in Town
GoneSolo said:
I have seen some hats that have a "soiling" issue on the crown or on the liner but what does that mean? Does anyone have a picture of this so called soil? Is it dark? Do you put it in the ground?

Sorry if this has been touched on before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.
sweat stains through the band onto the hat itself...think pa joad!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
GoneSolo said:

AFAIK Soiled is just another word for dirty.

EricH

One of the Regulars
My sons spent their infancy soiling diapers. This is not to say that diaper soiling is anything like that in an old hat. On the other hand, a few of the hats I've encountered did look like "soil". :rolleyes:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

"Soiled" tends to be used in the context of really dirty and usually with grease or sweat stains that are not coming out. This has been my experience, but most of you know how I am with that sort of thing. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's the risk

"Soiled" in Ebay seller speak, could mean anything from a bit of finger smudge on the pinch to a browned and badly yellowed liner or blackened sweat band.

When I see "soiled" in a description, I usually see "found it in a dumpster," or "Cousin Floyd died in it. We found him eight days later..."

Pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe