Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What have I started here??

icot

New in Town
So I was in Tractor Supply one day w/ my son (7 and a huge Indiana Jones fan) who just HAD to have a Stetson. Wow. NO WAY was I going to spend $50 on a hat...I knew I could just get one on e-bay! So here I am now with two stetsons (1st was too small, but he still wears it!), Scout spot remover,sponges, brushes (cleaning up the second that still has spots)..spent WELL over $100 and I don't even wear them :^). Very fun addiction though!

icot

New in Town
It's a Jr. cowboy, too small (he looks Amish if you ask me!). The second I'm trying to clean up is a Stetson gun club.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge.

Glad to see 'em getting started young nowadays. Keep up the good work.

Socrets

Familiar Face
Welcome

You have no idea how addictive hats can be. Next thing you know you'll be wearing a hat pretty much everywhere and anywhere. Anyway, welcome to the lounge!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wow. You are one VERY VERY VERY GOOD EXCELLENT SUPERIOR FINE WONDERFUL MOTHER! I hope the little lad appreciates you!
(BTW, I'm just reading a great book abour Bacon's Rebellion in Vuhjinyuh in 1676. What a story! What history the Old Dominion has!)

icot

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

I took a pic. of the youngster that he wanted me to post here, but I can't figure out how to post just a pic (I don't have a website to upload it to). It is a bit funny (because the hat is too small!). As to getting the Gun show hat up to snuff, I saw a post (I'm sure it was here) with a link to how to put on a new band, but where is a good source for ribbon (that won't bleed all over the hat)? I'm not to the point that I want to go dyeing it myself yet.

As to living in VA, it is great for history. We live about 1/2 an hour from Appomattox, my parents are about 15 min. from Mt. Vernon. We went to Mt. Vernon 2 weeks ago (the youngster and I) and he got a Union soldier hat there. Uh oh, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Yes, this is starting to not bode well for the checkbook... considering he's 7 and we're all ready starting this hat addiction.

Oh, RBH, he LOVES the pic of you w/ the Cross of Coronado I believe? VERY Indy-esque!

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Yep. It's only just begun.

I started out trying to replace an old fedora I had worn for decades until it wound up messed up beyond repair. Like you, I saw what was available here and there new, none of which I liked as they were western, and all of which I felt were overpriced for what they were.

I mean, the felt was stiff as a board, not soft like the old hat was. Part of that is modern hat making, and part of that is wool vs. fur for the felt. Not that I knew this starting out, mind you, but it didn't take long to find out, either!

So, off to eBay. Won a few in my size, that for various reasons were mostly *not* my size. I rapidly learned how to pad the oversizes ones down and stretch the undersized ones up. Spent a couple hundred bucks to boot.

So, and here's where it all leads to, I'm currently having hats custom made. One is a panama, one is a replica of the one I had for so long, and one is a fedora variant of a Stetson Open Road. I decided that I was going to spend that much money, at least, to get what I wanted in the way of 'good' hats on eBay before I wound up with what I had in mind. So, why not short circuit the whole process and go to a hatter and just get what I wanted?

Oh, this does not mean I am over and done with eBay. No. I now have this concept that I need *three series* of hats: Working, Everyday, and Good. The hats I already have from eBay fit the 'working' category. The ones on order will fit the 'good' category. I'm still working on the 'everyday' category on eBay.

Now, I say to myself that once I fill all the slots in my concept, I'll be done with all this. Right. I know better than that! :p

And, now, you know as well! :eek:

And to think, for a couple decades, all I had was *one* hat! lol

Enjoy all this. You might as well enjoy it as hate it! :D

Later!

Stan

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
icot said:

We went to Mt. Vernon 2 weeks ago (the youngster and I) and he got a Union soldier hat there. Uh oh, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Yes, this is starting to not bode well for the checkbook... considering he's 7 and we're all ready starting this hat addiction.

Oh, RBH, he LOVES the pic of you w/ the Cross of Coronado I believe? VERY Indy-esque!
Hey, are you bragging or complaining??? ;)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
but I can't figure out how to post just a pic (I don't have a website to upload it to).

Go to "Photobucket" you can host your pics there, then post the links to them here.

RBH

Bartender
icot said:

THANKS!!! :D

Yep its the Cross Of Coronado.
:eusa_clap And tell that young fellow he is on the right track wearing a hat!!! :eusa_clap
He looks great by the way!

icot

New in Town
Thanks for the photo bucket tip!

Here are two of "our" lids:
Piratewyatt.jpg

wy2.jpg

Also, I guess I was bragging about living in VA. :eek: Growing up a military brat, this is just where I've ended up and stayed...it's a great state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust