Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat goes with an A-2?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Hi guys and gals. I'm buying a Goodwear A-2 reproduction and need a hat to go with it. I'm not attending any military shows, I actually want a civilian hat to wear with it everyday (this will become my everyday attire). I looked at a newsboy but it looked a little too flamboyant for the jacket. What did the average A-2 wearing civilian put on his head? Any suggestions are appreciated. Here's a link to the jacket:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwwerber39_images1.html

Thank you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If you want to, or dont mind looking like Indiana Jones, an Akubra Fed IV, in either brown or fawn would be a good match. Otherwise, I would tell you to look for something that you feel looks good on you. Something in an earth tone would be my preference.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
If I were going to put one my own hats with it, I'd choose my Stetson Whippet in tawny color.

whippet2.jpg

DougC

Practically Family
Do yiou want to go dressy-ish or casual? Casual, I think you could use a tan colored hat--vintage Open Road or Stratoliner, maybe? Dressier--brown or darker gray Whippet. Nice jacket!

MCrider

A-List Customer
If you go with the wider brim hat in brown or maybe even a lighter tan color, you run the serious risk of the Indiana Jones stereotype. Personally when I wear an A2, I wear something in a light or mid grey color, usually with a 2 inch brim. Never heard a comment or snicker that way. But of course it depends on if you can pull off the shorter brim. Either way though, I'd stick to greys.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I second the stetson Whippet. If you dont want a modern production hat you can always get the same thing only better from custom hat maker.
Johnny

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, guys, for those very helpful replies. I think the Stratoliner in grey is my favorite so far. Thanks, MCrider. The Stratoliner will go with suits too.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This is my Whippet with my black Wested from a few years back. Not an A-2 but as close as it gets for representational purposes. Just to give you an idea for a casual look.
DanDisney-1.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, Daniel. That picture is worth 1000 hats.

D

Deleted member 16736

What's wrong with caps?

Well, at least it's grey

:D

My grandfather was born in 1908 and wore them his whole life. I don't ever recall him wearing a hat. Hats are nice too, but for me a cap is more practical. Besides, if I wear a cap, the jacket will get noticed. If I wear a hat, the hat will get noticed first.

D

Deleted member 16736

What's the gray hat in your profile picture? I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael