Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a wonderful site.

pmjk

New in Town
Hello to All,

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Peter, a Canadian presently self exiled to China. I have been lurking around the site for the past month trying to familiarize myself with the intricacies of fedoras, felt quality, style, terminology and hats in general. I must say the shear volume of information disseminated here is fantastic. Anything one would ever wish to know about fedoras is here, in detailed and photographed splendor.
Some of the hats I have seen here are works of art, not just the vintage treasures people have happened upon, but the hats of the artisans that reside here are magnificent. In particular Mr. Fawcetts creations leave me amazed and envious of those who own them. In this day and age of disposable goods of low to marginal quality, it is amazing to see there are true craftsman with a love and passion for their work. Simply perfect workmanship.
Like many others new to this genre of hats,I am not a hat wearer by nature, I pondered on my first purchase. The more I read, the more I was able to be narrow my choices. Back and forth I went looking at the pros and cons of certain hat makers, brands, quality, price and the reality of being in China and having very limited payment options at my disposal. I had settled on two Fed IV's but could not find a payment method acceptable to the store. Alas I ordered my first two hats, both Christy's Adventurers from Hornets Hats. One in light grey and the other in Sable. Not paying to two separate businesses for shipping was also a consideration. Sarah Hind has been wonderful to deal with. The store was also willing to accept Western Union as that is my only option here. I have read mixed reviews from the bleak to the encouraging regarding these hats. My biggest fear would be that I wake up one morning and find my hats have disintegrated into a pile of molted rabbit hair. I trust this will not be the case. I am aware of the stitching on the ribbon, however local tailors should be able to resolve this. A tailored suit including material is less then $ 100 USD. My hat size is 57 but ordered 58 which is one of the things I gleaned from the F.L.. As I have read U.K. sizes are one size smaller, and I should also allow for shrinkage. They should be arriving within the next two weeks. I can hardly wait. Now to find some scotchguard or equivalent. Try explaining scotchguard to people that don,t speak English and the only Mandarin I know is to order a beer. My next two hats, yes I have already picked them :) will be from David Morgan, The Squatter and also an Adventurer though I like the looks of the Bushman as well.
I wish to thank all of you that have contributed to this site, you made a daunting task interesting and pleasurable. Feel free to pass on any advice to me or to just say hello. Thanks again to all.

Kind regards,Peter

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the site, it is indeed a wonderful place and an amazing group of people if you overlook one issue. None of these enablers will worn you to put your hat buying on hold prior to finding yourself in the doghouse. :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
Welcome to the site, it is indeed a wonderful place and an amazing group of people if you overlook one issue. None of these enablers will worn you to put your hat buying on hold prior to finding yourself in the doghouse. :)

Ain't that the truth, Bart!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust