Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watering new hat

Hondo

One Too Many
Okay I read the threads regarding wetting or watering new hat,
My question is how do you properly water a hat?
I'm a bit scared to wet a nearly $200 hat, soak it in bucket,
wet it in shower and let dry? Again its a scary thought what
if it leaves a water stain? [huh] I have a Federation
Akubra, fairly new, fits nice but still stiff, should I leave it alone?
I also have a lancaster crusher cap still try to get it to look the
50 missions look, I don't mind soaking it,
but not the leather band, its still not right,
but I'm in no hurry to damage it :)
Lets hear how you guys watered your new hat,
any problems? Thanks!

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
I have a Sydney, I just sprayed it with a water bottle to bash it. No stains, no troubles. I hear the Sydney is an unusually soft felt, so maybe that's why I didn't have to soak it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Whether you dunk or spritz, I'd recommend cold water. My experience has shown this is less likely to damage felt or leather. I actually destroyed one by using hot water, but that was a long time ago... :)

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I don't have much experience in this area, but I would recommend that if you do spray/soak it, let it dry naturally instead of using heat. I learned the hard way when trying to resize a too-big Jaxon Bogart. I sprayed it until it was soaked, and then set it on a lampshade, 'cause I was impatient and couldn't wait. Let's just say that I've seen less taper on the even worst '80s hats!

As for the cap... if you're really committed and you're looking for that fifty-mission crush, you could try this method I found in an article here:

One wartime service journal prescribed six steps for speeding the process: Remove metal stiffener; soak cap overnight, in sea water if available; stuff with folded towel and wrap with string; leave cap in direct sunlight until only slightly damp; remove string and stuffing and wear until dry; for added character, sprinkle with light engine oil and run over with Jeep.

lol

-Tofu

Stoney

Practically Family
Hondo,
If you just want to loosen the felt up, no need to get it wet at all. Just work the felt with your hands and it will loosen up. Since the felt has a memory of the last shape it had, when wet (it was blocked and bashed) it will spring back to the original shape.

If you get that Akubra soaking wet, you will need a block to dry it on or is will most likely develop a severe taper real quick.

Also check out Adventuresupply.com for a video showing how to soften up a fedora.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I've found Akubras to be rather stubborn when dry-bashed; they always pop back into what they were before.

When I bought my Federation at The Hattery, they shaped it for me with a steamer, but after I wore it in the rain one day I decided to see if I could improve it. I simply walked out of the rain and into the bathroom, and proceeded to shape it with it on my head until I had it right. When I wanted to change the bash, I used steam from a tea kettle, and that worked too. However, after I changed it again, using the kettle, I began to notice significant taper.:eek:

I shaped my Fedora using the kettle as well, and it seemed to need a lot more steam than the Federation, but it hasn't tapered like the Federation did. Of course I haven't steamed it as many times.

I suspect that the heat is more to blame for tapering than the moisture. If I had it to do over, I think I'd just hold the hat under the shower for a few seconds and go from there.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find most of my Akubra's are stiff with a "factory look" untill the first rain storm. Never had a problem with tapering though (9 Akubra's later). But I always let it dry sitting on its crown or on a hat stand.
Johnny

NonEntity

Suspended
One of the most salient benefits of ambling in the rain to wet your hat for re-shaping is that rainwater has few impurities, with the exception of highly air-polluted areas of the globe.

If you cannot wait for a walk in the rain or just have an inherent aversion to it, then buy some distilled water and use that to wet your hat. Whether you use it straight form the bottle or in some sort of steamer, distilled water is free of impurities which can leave a residue in the felt.

Wet the hat so that it is thoroughly damp but not soaked to the point of having to be squeezed out, then let it dry naturally, which could take a few days in humid climates. It's the rush to dry with blow dryers, lamps, heaters and the like that creates most of the over-shrinkage and over-taper problems, not the type or amount of water.

Being as much a car guy as hat guy, I warn folks to always use distilled water when mixing with coolant/antifreeze in your vehicle's radiator. The blockages caused by the accumultated buildup of contaminants in non-distilled water is the primary reason for radiator failure. Put a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water in your car's radiator when new and you will never have a need to flush or change coolant.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cold water in a spritz bottle. Soak the hat, shape it, let it dry on a stand or on its crown. I don't think I would want to take any steam to it though. But that's just me.
Johnny

Rider

Familiar Face
I don't know if it's necessary, but I always use distilled water. I put in the crease I want and spray it down with distilled water out of a spray bottle that has never been used to dispense any other kind of liquid. Once wet, I do final shaping before setting it aside to dry naturally.

I had great results putting a crease in a Fderation in this manner.

Feraud

Bartender
Just to add some food for thought. A hat store I visit in NYC uses a steam machine to crease (or re-crease) hats. This machine is not a fancy new gadget but very old. Were hatters in the old days doing it wrong?
I do not think steam from a kettle will damage a hat. This is how I did my Akubra.
My personal favorite way to crease is to wear the hat in the rain. Crease to shape and let dry. Presto! A perfect fedora.

Feraud

Bartender
indycop said:
Feraud do you have any pics of the steam machine? It would be neat to see one for those of us that have never seen such, like me!:rolleyes:
I think I have a picture around someplace. My photo account needs a good editing! I will try to update this thread with a photo if I can find one.

Spellflower

Practically Family
The Hattery uses a big steam machine too. I'd guess that these things were the preferred tool for stores to shape hats for customers back in the day because the customer wouldn't want to be handed back a wet hat. Steam adds just enough moisture to get the job done, then dries quickly. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best method.

Do we have any well-heeled members with an interest in research? If so, perhaps they could order a couple dozen Federations and test different methods of blocking, then report back on degree of taper. Until then, I'll stay away from steam, as it seems to have caused taper for me, and it is unnecessary.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
The Hattery uses a big steam machine too. I'd guess that these things were the preferred tool for stores to shape hats for customers back in the day because the customer wouldn't want to be handed back a wet hat. Steam adds just enough moisture to get the job done, then dries quickly. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best method.

Spellflower, That's a brilliant observation!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Of course, you realize there are ultra-orthodox agents, around here, who will consider that "subversive heresy." :D

Feraud

Bartender
Spellflower said:

Do we have any well-heeled members with an interest in research? If so, perhaps they could order a couple dozen Federations and test different methods of blocking, then report back on degree of taper. Until then, I'll stay away from steam, as it seems to have caused taper for me, and it is unnecessary.
Good point. To clarify, this caveat about steam would be strictly in regards to the discussion of some modern felts right? I have read many accounts of people using steam on their new hats with no ill effects.

Vintage felt has a well earned reputation of being superior to modern and can probably(nothing is absolute in life) be excluded.

A test is in order!

Stoney

Practically Family
I use a teakettle on mine, vinatge and new, with no problems . Of course you can't hold the whole hat in there for 5 minutes either. [huh] It takes only a small amount of steam to do the job.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Actually, all my vintage hats can be shaped quite easily without any moisture at all. That being the case, I see no reason to bother with steam or water- I just go for it, and it tends to hold. Specifically, I'm talking about my Resistol Ten, my Stetson Whippet, and my Dobbs Twenty.

The vintage felt on these hats is absolutely superior to Akubra's modern felts, but that's to be expected, since the vintage hats have at least some beaver, and the Akubras are pure hare. My Akubras will pop back into their original shape pretty quick I don't use moisture.

In the case of the Federation, I used a lot of steam on a lot of occasions, trying to get it just right, and I think that's what caused the taper. Then again, it's been in a lot of rain storms, so that could be it too. If it's the latter, well, so be it, I'm not going to worry about getting a hat like that wet. If it's the former, well, just to be on the safe side, I don't use steam anymore.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't have a tea kettle, and is thinking about just holding the hat over a pan of boiling water, DO NOT ALLOW STEAM TO PERMEATE THE HAT FROM THE INSIDE!!! The steam will soak into the felt, alright, but it will also shrink the sweat band! I found this out when shaping the Wildcatter RBH sold me. Fortunately, it was a half size too big, so it wasn't a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe