Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: criminal hats

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Let's see 'em, from the most obscure grifters to the best known crooks.

"Backwards Willie"
Criminal001.jpg

Criminal002.jpg

"Thin Richard"
Criminal003.jpg

Criminal004.jpg

"Lawrence the Tipper"
Criminal005.jpg

Criminal006.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
suitedcboy said:
I have not seen the wanted posters like the first ones on in this thread. I guess it was assumed that a man would wear a hat so a mug shot made with hat donned was SOP.
Way COOL!

Hello,

I can't attest for US practice, but here in Spain a mugshot sequence is, at present times, composed of 5 photos: right profile, frontal, 3/4 left profile, left profile, and 3/4 frontal body. Of these, in two of them (3/4 profile and body) the individual must wear any complements he uses is known to use habitually, like prescription glasses or any headgear, in the interest of including identifiable features. Of course in past times headgear would be much more prevalent.

Surely this is still carried out now, in similar form, by law enforcement forces in the US as it is in Europe.

I'm sure this was the intention too in the featured photos. It could be, in addition, that officers had at hand spare hats for this purpose at the time, because wearing hats would be the usual thing.

Regards!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
All "accessories" including your shoestrings are collected as soon as you enter so not much chance of a hat being in a shot today at least in my locale.

Torpedo

One Too Many
indycop said:
All "accessories" including your shoestrings are collected as soon as you enter so not much chance of a hat being in a shot today at least in my locale.

Hi,

Here it is done so too, but those accesories relevant to witness identification purposes are produced from the custody lockers, and the individual required to wear them, for the photographic session.

Regards!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
1923, Brooklyn, brothers Barlow and Joseph Diamond attempt to rob their parents store. Result: 2 guards killed, Barlow, Joseph and 2 other get the chair in Sing Sing in May of 1924. But Barlow was a spiffy dude!
Wantedpostersmll.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe