Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage traveling kit

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
That is an incredible kit! And J.A.G. could always be Judge Advocate General's Corps. ;)
I really need one of these!
I thought about that myself.

You should be able to find several on eBay. I came across several with different colors and styles of the various holders. The main things I was looking for was some sort of case to put the razor in, as opposed to just a loop for it and the chrome or stainless finish. Good luck in the search for one.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had thought of that too. I only looked seriously at the ones that stated that it appeared to be never used and had good pictures to back it up.
Mine was never used. Not a single scrap of soap, hair or skin. Completely clean. Everything was nestled snuggly in their respective places, never moved for over 50 years. I'm surmising that it was prpbably received as a birthday gift to maybe replace their old hand me down they wre using at one point, but the receiver thought it too nice to mess up and was probably happy with what they wre using. So, it went into the closet and then up into the attic where it stayed until recently. Just a guess though. But it is evident that it was never used. Go figure.

Now Hemingway you can go forth with a clean mind and purchase.;)

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
Oh Dear, I hadn't thought of that. You had to ruin it for me, didn't you Scott!:eusa_doh: ;)

My dear man, I thought that of all people, you would have thought of this possibility...

DanielJones use of the word "skin" is really scaring me off.
Anyway. I think we have insight into why they go so cheaply! Possible exfoliated guy funk.

It makes the one you scored, DanielJones, so much the better. Great find!

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Willi: That one looks almost exactly like the one I passed up. It was going for $9.99. Very nice find there.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

It was £0.99, at the time $1.87, the shipping from the UK was a little up there, £12.00, about $22.00. Probably a little high for shipping, but it was what I was looking for so what the heck.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Anyone run into The Funk? Hairs, dander, soap scum, etc.? These look neat but... The possibility for The Funk seems high.

I have thought about that. The auction had some pretty good photos and everything looked clean. When I received it, it looked like nothing had been used. I had a bristle shaving brush in it that looks to have never been in water, much less had any shaving soap or cream on it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's the key, then. Look for good photos and ask questions up front.

It's not just an "ick" thing. One of our members contracted some kind of skin infection from vintage items purchased via Ebay. Anytime you are coming into contact with the personal items from another person, there's the risk of something unpleasant being introduced into your own body. Caution, and good sterilization and laundering practices, are a good idea.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
DanielJones use of the word "skin" is really scaring me off.
Anyway. I think we have insight into why they go so cheaply! Possible exfoliated guy funk.

It makes the one you scored, DanielJones, so much the better. Great find!

Sorry to give you the heebee geebees Scotrace.;) I think most of the ones that I saw were unused like the one I got. I just took a chance and got fortunate. Of course I'm sure that 'naptha' may clean the "funk" out of any item out there. I suppose that is the risk we take in buying vintage items on OFAS. I usually ask a bunch of questions on items that were used and find out a little back history if they know it before I bid. I got lucky in that it only had a faint cigarette smell to it.

Cheers!

Dan

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Resurrecting an old thread on a topic that I find of interest.

I've been meaning to post photos of this Czech men's traveling toilet kit for sometime. I got it a few years ago and it was never used: price tag still on it, soap etc still in their original paper, etc.

I get tempted to sell it since I don't use it but then I look through it and say, "damn that's neat" and I then I decided to keep it.

408637082.jpg

408637083.jpg

408637085.jpg

408637078.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
That's nice Chasseur I'd keep that one too...a quick clean may remove some of the marks on the watered 'silk' ....generally Shangas you get two tubes-usually chrome sometimes bakelite, one for shave stick ( like Arko) one for the shaving brush, and nearly always a hair brush either chrome backed or in ebony, occasionally you'll a longer and thinner chrome tube or box for a toothbrush, occasionaly a small Bakelite tube for a stiptik pencil sometimes you get two of these - usually made by Souplex, you may get a square chrome plated and velvet lined box for a razor or one with a lift off or hinged lid in Bakelite which would usually be smaller unless it was for an 'Everyready' or similar razor....you may also get a soap shaped chrome (occasionally bakelite) soap tin and again occasionally a cologne bottle.
If you can try to get a leather cased set and even better if the interior is in vinyl rather than the flocked type....they can be addictive I know have around 11 sets in various states of completion and have never paid more than £10...I often buy them for parts and it can be a cheap way to get a 'rare' razor cheaply!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I always thought these things were cute, but I never understood what all the things do/are for.

Ah very simple mon ami!

408637085.jpg

From left to right:
Hair brush, badger brush for shaving cream (take down version), after shave/cologne bottle, shaving lather stick, clothes brush, toothbrush holder, and on bottom a soap container.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally