Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage three piece suits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Were three piece suits popular in the 1930s and 1940s? Or did they really only become popular in the 1970s-1980s?

Could someone please give me some examples of Golden Era three piece suits?

Cobden

Practically Family
Three piece was pretty much required in the UK from the 1880s (though waistcoats were always worn before then, I couldn't confidently say that suits - as we know them today - were the most popular form of menswear, being largely regarded in the gentry as country-wear) to the 1930's, and remained the the norm in the UK until the Second World War, but still commonly seen up until the 50s. By the 60s they took a bit of a nosedive in popularity, peaked a tad in the 70s, dived down in the 80s, and have seen a slight resurgence recently. The US was similar, but the discarding of the waistcoat seems to have started earlier.

We've been wearing waistcoats longer than we've been wearing suits, afterall ;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not to be an ass but is that really a question!?

My thoughts exactly.

TPS were almost standard, from the 1800s (probably even before) until the 1950s. They suffered greatly during WWII due to clothing rationing. They had a brief bounceback in the 1970s & 80s, but recently, I'm not aware of any other comebacks.

You have to remember that the TPS existed in an age before widespread central heating. The waistcoat was needed to provide extra warmth. As well as have somewhere for a chap to hang his watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld