Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage in 1949

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
This video shows the centennial celebrations in Marquette, Michigan, in 1949. As part of the festivities people dressed up in the style of 100 years previous, to them 1849. There was also a beard growing competition which my grandpa took part in (I think he's in this, too). The winner of the contest was Maurice Chenoweth, the real victim of what became 'Anatomy of a Murder', which Otto Preminger also filmed in Marquette (I have a lot of family in the background of that, too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8EvMO5ALzv0

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Interesting video, thanks for posting it. This things are always more interesting when there is a family connection.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
This video shows the centennial celebrations in Marquette, Michigan, in 1949. As part of the festivities people dressed up in the style of 100 years previous, to them 1849. There was also a beard growing competition which my grandpa took part in (I think he's in this, too). The winner of the contest was Maurice Chenoweth, the real victim of what became 'Anatomy of a Murder', which Otto Preminger also filmed in Marquette (I have a lot of family in the background of that, too.

In honor of the centennial of the Gold Rush and statehood, California had a similar fad from 1949-1950.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe