Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage hair products

USS Marshall

New in Town
What kind of vintage hair products do you use on your vintage hairstyle?I like southern rose hair oil,wildroot,and brylcreem,but I also like a variety of others.

USS Marshall

New in Town
Brylcreem is what I us most of the time I love the smell.I like the way southern rose smells to. Sometimes I use a pomade like Murray's super light when I want to really form it or slick it down.

I use a whole variety, but when I want my hair to look its best, it's Tres Flores. Good, heavy hold, plenty of shine, and works great, if you're a hat wearer.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My hair started turning gray when I was 26. I use VO5 for gray hair. It has a little blue in it and does away with the yellowish tinge gray hair often has. I have been complimented on my hair by barbers and hair dressers and I don't think they were angling for a tip.

I shampoo every other day then rub in a dab of VO5 no bigger than a match head. This is enough for good grooming without making my hair greasy.

Used to use Vitalis, Brylcreem, and other products but like the VO5 best.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't use hair-products as often as I used to. But when I do, I have a tin of Murray's Pomade on my counter. Made since the 1920s. It has a really sweet, candy-like smell that I like. It's like...toffee.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I use Dax Wave & Groom, which is a stiff, waxy pomade. I'm still using a tin I bought over a year ago, due to being conservative in it's use, but some days I may go for a more slicked back look, getting a couple or more thicker scoops and spreading around the hair. By the time it runs out, I'm not sure if I'm going to try something different yet, that will require thought. I used to use Brylcreem, and most of the time I was using too much, depleting it faster than I cared to pay for another tube that month. How long is one tube (a regular tube, not sure what the size was) meant to last, if you follow their "little dab" advice?

Talbot

One Too Many
Brylcreem-2_zpsab0ae352.jpg

USS Marshall

New in Town
My hair started turning gray when I was 26. I use VO5 for gray hair. It has a little blue in it and does away with the yellowish tinge gray hair often has. I have been complimented on my hair by barbers and hair dressers and I don't think they were angling for a tip.

I shampoo every other day then rub in a dab of VO5 no bigger than a match head. This is enough for good grooming without making my hair greasy.

Used to use Vitalis, Brylcreem, and other products but like the VO5 best.

That shimmer lights shampoo works great for Gary hair its purple and its made to take out brassiness from highlighted hair but it works good on Gary hair.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I had a decent amount of hair I used various substances.
In the 1970s mens hair lacquer was the in thing on the British Teddy Boy scene, the thing was a can of 'Cossack' was about 50p when ladies 'Silverkrin' was half that for the same size aerosol.
Slick back styles were popular also, Brylcreem of course was popular, remember the 'Brylcreem Bounce' advert? My favourite was a product called Vitalis, a clear light yellowish colour.
A bit later and a bit less hair I started using Black & White, very thick and almost pulled my hair out combing it through. About this time I remembered a thing my mum used on my hair as a boy, Brilliantine. It was again a thick lavender smelling pomade, I got my first tin from a Jamaican friend who told me it was still used a lot on 'black' hairstyles over there(early 1980s). I then found some in a local Chemists, made by Yardley in Basildon Essex. So not so far or a long wait to get some from the Caribbean. Still got an unused pot someplace but dont use it now.
Now the quiffy bit starts halfway to the back of my head, maybe hair products are more hair friendly I dont know, I use a water soluble wax aimed at the teenage market who go for that messed up look.
Just a look at the hair products for sale these days, Mud, Glue, Fibre, Putty, Gum, Slime! I think I could add a couple more descriptions there.
Johnny T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe