Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Dobbs Bowler

S

Samsa

My "new" Dobbs bowler arrived in the mail today. I took a gamble on this one - the picture on eBay made it look horrible. Turns out all it needed was a good brushing. At any rate, I think I did well for $25.

This is what it looked like before:
Bowlerbefore.jpg

And after:
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

It was shipped in an envelope, of all things, and the crown was bashed in. If it were a fedora that would not have been a concern, but as bowlers are meant to be a stiff hat, I'm not sure if I should consider having it reblocked. It seems to have held the original shape for the most part; however, there is what looks like a slight indentation on the sides of the crown (see the last picture).

If any of the resident bowler experts has any advice re: reblocking it, it would be much appreciated!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
All in all a very nice looking bowler. You may want to look into having it re-blocked and stiffined again. Taht way the top won't keep collapsing with any handling. Just a though. Good job on that bowler.

Cheers!

Dan

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Very nice looking bowler, I commend your restore job.

I can't believe someone sent it to you in an envelope though...clearly some are allergic to thinking. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally