Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Derbys, all small

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Just about every Vintage Derby I see on e-bay seems to be size 7 or smaller.
What's up with that? Did only small headed men wear Derbys back in the day? lol Bob.

dnjan

One Too Many
I got a couple of 7-1/8th's a few months ago, but I agree you don't see as many larger ones. Are you searching "vintage bowler" as well?

And remember, on EBay, any hat with a brim that goes all the way around is a fedora ...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think that peoples heads were smaller years ago and that hats such as derbies and top hats were worn higher up on a persons head. I've rarely seen a derby over a 7 1/4 or even a top hat. I'm sure that they exist .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've got a bowler that is about a 7 3/8, but I lent it out, and it was returned ruined. The borrower destroyed the sweatband, er, sweating. And replaced it with any old hunk of leather (thick) that he attached with staples.

And that was the one and only time I've lent out a hat.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I broaden my search and actually pulled up a couple in 7 1/8 & 7 1/4 and put a watch on them. No collection is complete without a bowler. Besides that's how you find mislabeled open crowned hats.
Bob.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here's what mine should look like if it ever shows up.:rage:
54b0_1.jpg

5704_1.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just did a search on OFAS under 'bowler hat' and came up with several ranging in size from 7 1/8 to 7 3/8. They all looked in fairly respectable condition & worth bidding on. I had won a Stetson Soverign last year in a 7 3/8 & managed to be the only bidder. I was patient & got lucky on a last minute bid. Granted, a lot of of them are size 7 but every so often you will find a gem in your size. Hopefully you come up with one on your list.

Cheers!

Dan

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a 7 5/8 Mallory (lined) and a 7 1/2 Stetson (unlined and vented)
that both, miraculously, fit my bean wonderfully. Both from OFAS.
I did pay a fair amount for one of them.

Keep looking...

MattJH

One Too Many
I almost won a virtually untouched, unworn Dobbs in 7 5/8 last year but once the price went beyond $100, I bailed out. They're definitely scarce.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally