Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic sizing

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Hi all

Would appreciate some guidance on sizing for USA's A2. I'm planning to buy one of
Their jackets (likely goatskin but let me know your thoughts on weather horshide is better?)
I gave shaul my measurements below and he suggested a 44R which seems quite big to me?
I currently have a Wested A2 size 40 which is too small (not long enough at the waist and arms
and too tight) so was thinking I'm more a 42. See my sizing below:

Thanks a lot!

Height: 73 inches (6.1 feet)
Weight: 85kg
CH: 21 inches
SH: 19 inches
SL: 34 inches
CB: 26 inches
Waist: 34 inches

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
US A's sizing is trim but long.

I had one of their A-2s in a 44R, and its sleeves and body were over an inch longer than my ("large modern sizing") G&B 46Rs! It was smaller in the shoulders, chest, and - the critical measurment for me - gut. (I'm a different shape than you: 5'8" and 200+lbs, 42-44 waist.) I've got a Wested Raiders too, but it's custom-sized so it's hard to figure into the equation.

So I suspect that the 44R would be a good length for you... but you'll be swimming in the waist, which fit me right when I was a 42 waist. The 42R might be better. When I got mine, I went to US A's "factory" - actually an old carriage house adjacent to Shaul's home - and tried them on in person. The 46R I expected to get was much too big, and the 44R was better... though not ideal for my shape, as became more apparent with time.

I had the US A for about eight years: once I'd gained a few pounds, it got too tight at the waist/gut, so I sold it to help fund my Good Wear. For a widebody like me, custom sizing is really necessary.

And I would suggest you go for the goatskin. Mine was the seal horsehide. The hide was very thick, springy, and squeaky. Despite Shaul's assurance that the topcoat would wear down to show a beautiful patina... it never happened. (Though you should note that I got mine 11 years ago, so I don't know how much bearing this has on his current hides.) I would also go for the goatskin because if your experience is like many of us, you'll eventually want to move up to one of the premium makers - so make a smaller investment now. You'll get a much better horsehide A-2 from Aero/Eastman/Kelso/Good Wear/etc. someday...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've a couple or three U.S. Auth's. I suggest you have Shaul send you one for sizing then have him do a custom so you get it right... the first time!

Worf

Interbak

One of the Regulars
In my experience, Shaul estimates on the large side. I sent him my measurements way back when I bought an A-2 from him and he sent me a 46 that I was swimming in. Sent it back for a 44R and it was prefect. For comparison, I'm 5'10", and was about 230 lbs at the time (considerably lighter than that now, happily). USA A-2's tend to be longer than traditional A-2's so you could be OK for length, or you may need to go for a tall size.
Since you're in the UK getting a try on might end up being kind of pricey. See if Shaul will send you measurements of various sizes so you can make a more educated choice.

Brian

armscye

One of the Regulars
My US Authentic Indy in XXL had some of the oddest sizing I've seen, though it worked well for me. The shoulders were very large, the sleeves surprisingly long (on the order of 27 inches), and the waist rather trim. At least in the Indy, they seem to cut for a heroic silhouette-- tall, big shoulders and chest, little waist.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I'm 74 inches, 70 kilos, 32 waist with fairly long arms. I have a US Authentic A2 in 40 - I've found that the arms were a bit long the jacket was entirely to wide. The chest was a bit large, but the waist was much too baggy. I wish I could get the waist taken in, but it's just not worth ruining an OK jacket to seek illusory perfection. I'm a skinny fellow, like most of those original A2 wearers, but it seemed that the jacket was sized for middle aged men with beer guts.
I'd recommend either going a size smaller - 42, or getting a stock jacket to try on then getting a custom job done.
You should totally go with goat skin. My HH is rather stiff and heavy, and I don't think it is really worth the extra money I paid for it. Sure it's nice, but I don't feel like I'd be missing anything if I had opted for goat.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks all, that's very helpful. I've asked Shaul for the measurements
For both sizes and the 42R definitely is the right size, not sure why he
Suggested 44R. Will go with goatskin too - for some reason I've always been
Intrigued by it. I understand a lot of WWII jackets were in goatskin anyways.
Actually, Does anyone happen to know what type of A2s Free French pilots that were
Equipped with US material and outfits used to wear? I have a great uncle
Who flew P47s in a Free French squadron (first from North Africa, then Italy
And then France. Got lots of pictures and he clearly wears an A2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael