Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling With your Suit 1952

epr25

Practically Family
My neighbor gave me a Look magazine from 1952. There was an article I thought you guys might dig. I shows step by step instructions on how to pack a suit so you won't have wrinkles. Please see below.

suits2small.jpg
[/IMG]

suits1small.jpg
[/IMG]

Jovan

Suspended
This probably works well even now, though you'd probably have to leave the suit hanging near the shower anyways with the lightweight, wrinkle-prone fabrics of today. Thanks for the pictures!

I love in #8 how he looks like he's just accidentally pulled the pin out of a grenade, or is attempting to transport a squirming baby using just one hand.

"They told me the only way they'd let me live was to produce the perfect pizza base, and look at it!" How the mighty actors of yesteryear have sunk . . .

bk

p.s. that's a pretty cool article.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:
My neighbor gave me a Look magazine from 1952. There was an article I thought you guys might dig. I shows step by step instructions on how to pack a suit so you won't have wrinkles. Please see below.

suits2small.jpg
[/IMG]

suits1small.jpg
[/IMG]

Love the David Niven look-alike!

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
I love in #8 how he looks like he's just accidentally pulled the pin out of a grenade, or is attempting to transport a squirming baby using just one hand.
lol Funny!

Cool article. Thanks for posting it epr25.

epr25

Practically Family
I thought that you guys might dig this. I thought that it was funny. I actually was wondering how many men really packed thier suitcase back then anyway?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I like Clooney, but to me, nobody comes close to David Niven. The man was pure class. I saw him inteviewed by Pierre Berton many years ago. There was a lot to him.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Folding it inside out is probably meant to protect the outside, but doesn't it also make the unwanted creases sharper on the outside?

Jovan

Suspended
I've no experience with suits of that year, but perhaps they weren't so worried since the wool fabrics of the time were thicker and thus more wrinkle resistant.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
epr25 said:
I actually was wondering how many men really packed thier suitcase back then anyway?

Well, besides the obvious statement that SOME must have, which would have necessitated an article, I imagine quite a few traveling business men packed suitcases; whether they were traveling salesmen or presidents of their companies, they all would have had some stop for rest and thereby, packed suitcases. [huh]

Jovan

Suspended
He might have meant having their wives or girlfriends pack it instead, those days being what they were -- men weren't expected to iron their own shirts. I'm glad to say I can do both with no assistance. :p

iammatt

Familiar Face
I travel semi-constantly and never have any problems with wrinkles or losing creases. I would not say that the pictured way of folding is the most effective. My suggestion is as follows:

1. Hold the jacket up by the middle of the collar and pull both shoulders backwards so that they are touching each other.
2. Stick your hand inside one armhole and from there grab the opposite shoulder and pull the coat inside out.
3. Fold it either in half or thirds.

Done.

Wives should still iron your shirts. Among other things, that is what they are for.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
He might have meant having their wives or girlfriends pack it instead, those days being what they were -- men weren't expected to iron their own shirts. I'm glad to say I can do both with no assistance. :p

I was quite aware of that perspective, which is why I responded as I did. I'm sure there were many wives that packed husbands' suitcases.

dostacos

Practically Family
my wife is a firm believer in out of the hot dryer and on the hanger. [permanent press is my friend]

she is gonna love my new Indy shirt wash dry and crumple up into the sock drawer:eek:

My stepmother taught my wife how to pack without wrinkles, [roll not fold, shake out and hang as soon as you check in] and it has worked well. those 22 hour flights to Israel take their toll on your luggage as much as on you own bodies

iammatt

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
:eusa_clap Ah yes. And The Good Wife begins again. :D :p

Well, there is much to be said for a lot on that list. I am not sure that I subscribe in full, but one shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe