Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragedy with a fortunate ending...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
So, last night my wife and I were invited to my boss' wedding. Great stuff. I wore my silverbelly Borsalino beaver.
At the table I had it under the chair (beautiful carpert floor). Towards the end, when they told us to go to another salon to enjoy a digestif, I put my hat brim down on my chair and tucked the chair under the table. minutes later, while I'm hanging out at the table with the drinks, my wife comes literally with tears in her eyes. She had my hat in her hands. The waiter, in a split second, had spilled coffee all over it.:eek: :rage: :eek: :eek:

I tell my wife, to make her feel better, "honey don't worry, it is just a hat" and, while boiling and freaking out inside, walked as phlegmatic as I could posibly walk towards the bathroom. I wanted to scream and punch the damn waiter.:rage:

The crown and the side of the brim and the bow were hit the worst. I took paper towels and, with warm water, washed it leaving it soaking wet. I did this until I couldn't smell the coffee any longer.When donde, decided to not even look at the thing until the next day.

This morning ,fellow loungers--and please join me in my rejoice, my hat miraculously was spotless. I felt gooood.[angel]:D

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap Very Happy to hear that you were able to fix it. #1 problem for hat wearers these days -- no hat check and no hat hooks. We need someone to invent a portable hat hook. Something that can quickly clamp on the top of your chair and hold your hat! Anyone mechanical in here?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
marvelgoose said:
:eusa_clap Very Happy to hear that you were able to fix it. #1 problem for hat wearers these days -- no hat check and no hat hooks. We need someone to invent a portable hat hook. Something that can quickly clamp on the top of your chair and hold your hat! Anyone mechanical in here?

Thank you! and that invention would be AWESOME!
We should start a campaign to bring hat checks back!

billysmom

One Too Many
Hat Hook?

marvelgoose said:

I use a purse hook at restaurants and in meetings, but I just tried it on a hat and it's too short to accommodate a wide brim. The concept should work, just need a much longer shaft and perhaps a larger hook?

Sue

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
marvelgoose said:

Would this hook hold the hat up just under the seat? Thats something I would use. I may just experiment with some wire to see what I can come up with.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I applaud your control and cheer your saved hat.

My favorite place to head for breakfast has a older coat tree which I have only ever seen used by the few who wear a hat.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone! Let's keep thinking about a hat hook solution. I like the sky one but under the chair would be better.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Happy things worked out for you.....

My solution ...... not for everyone.... If I cannot carry my hat with me I do not wear it. People are unaware of the cost involved and the care I exercise with my hats.

I always find a safe place to store my lid. Even taking such precautions mishaps will occur and that is why managers are available. Next time consider a discreet discussion in order to make a report just in case the services of Orlando are needed. ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
So, last night my wife and I were invited to my boss' wedding. Great stuff. I wore my silverbelly Borsalino beaver.
At the table I had it under the chair (beautiful carpert floor). Towards the end, when they told us to go to another salon to enjoy a digestif, I put my hat brim down on my chair and tucked the chair under the table. minutes later, while I'm hanging out at the table with the drinks, my wife comes literally with tears in her eyes. She had my hat in her hands. The waiter, in a split second, had spilled coffee all over it.:eek: :rage: :eek: :eek:

I tell my wife, to make her feel better, "honey don't worry, it is just a hat" and, while boiling and freaking out inside, walked as phlegmatic as I could posibly walk towards the bathroom. I wanted to scream and punch the damn waiter.:rage:

The crown and the side of the brim and the bow were hit the worst. I took paper towels and, with warm water, washed it leaving it soaking wet. I did this until I couldn't smell the coffee any longer.When donde, decided to not even look at the thing until the next day.

This morning ,fellow loungers--and please join me in my rejoice, my hat miraculously was spotless. I felt gooood.[angel]:D

Now you won't have to "wake up and smell the cafe"... hermanito..lol :eek:

duggap

Banned
Glad it turned out ok for you. I have nightmares about that very thing. I usually use a spare chair for my hat and then tuck it under the table but I still feel uneasy about it and on one occassion I even asked a waiter to be more careful. [huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Glad things worked out, Aureliano.

Unfortunately, the choice I make most of the time is to leave my hat in the car when I head into a restaurant. On occasions in the past, I have placed my hat on vacant seats at a table -- but, even then, I am nervous, since there is always a chance of having something spilled on it, particularly when ice water or ice tea is being re-filled constantly and the waiter is reaching right over the the hat's chair to do it! While it does feel awkward walking hatless into the joint, I'd rather have the piece of mind.

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
Glad it turned out ok for you. I have nightmares about that very thing. I usually use a spare chair for my hat and then tuck it under the table but I still feel uneasy about it and on one occassion I even asked a waiter to be more careful. [huh]

CB, I actually thought about billing my boss if the hat would've needed Orlando's services. I know also that she (the boss) would have paid.
Duggap, I was infuriated (serenity now...remember, from Seinfeld?) because I had tucked the darn chair under the table and still it happened.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
CB, I actually thought about billing my boss if the hat would've needed Orlando's services. I know also that she (the boss) would have paid.
Duggap, I was infuriated (serenity now...remember, from Seinfeld?) because I had tucked the darn chair under the table and still it happened.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill your b-b-boss on her wedding day lol lol lol lol lol lol

I meant the caterers or restaurant..............ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:eek: :eek:lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe