Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To the Tea Drinkers

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont know if its the US or all over, but I thought Id share this tale with you.
Ive gots me a sore throat. So, I go to the grocery store to pick up some chamomile and honey.

I get to the tea isle, and its flooded with all these strange concoctions of mood reflecting, infused zingers, fruit inspired, and green enhanced teas! Thats all they were; some 'enhanced' with vitamins, mined with other teas (in the same bag, so that justifies the price increase of 100%), in snazzy packages and unpronounceable names.

I literally laughed out loud after looking for 5 minutes for a flippin box of chamomile.

Then I found it, in the back, two boxes left, surrounded amongst the new 'in' teas, only and calling to me. I got them both and never looked back.

Do any of you other tea drinkers see this where you are? Is tea ruined now? I hope not. Tea aint cola, dont put ginseng in it. Wait, oh never mind.

LD

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I kind of like it. How else could I have made my husband a cup of PMS tea and get to see the look on his face when I told him what it was. :D That was years ago. Those blends & varieties have been around a long time in the health food stores at least.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Yep, it's crazy! I stopped buying bag tea, because I think it always tastes dusty.

When I lived in Germany, I knew of a very nice shop in town that sold whole leaf teas from big cannisters on the shelves. You could get anything you wanted, even a custom blend if you liked. And the overwhelming majority of the tea was pure and unadulterated, although there were some aromatised and enhanced teas.

I hope a similar place exists in Portland, because I'm down to the last of my stock.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, I have loose tea as well, and ran out of my chammie. :eusa_doh: I was in a bind. Plus when youre sick, you tend not to travel for the best, but for what will do.

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Feng Li,

i would suggest heading over to: Alberta Co-op on NE Alberta and 15th (my favorite place to shop); People's Co-op on SE 21st(?) north of Powell; or Limbo on SE 39th south of Holgate. Mountain Rose Herbs is a good online resource, based out of Eugene.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a big tea drinker; I have been for many years. I probably have about 40-75 varieties in my kitchen right now from all over the world: China (White Tea, Monkey Tea, First Flush limited run, White Peony, Monk Tea, Jasmin - at least two varieties), Japan (brown rice, green organic, Iran (Best Tea - Earl Grey and Ceylon; Amber Tea - Darjeeeling, Earl Grey and Ceylon with probably some Bergamot); Hawaiian, French (Kusmi - Earl Grey and Orange; Mariage - Marco Polo **A favorite with chocolate undertones**, Russian (Smoked Tea), African, Indian, Kenyan, English and many others (I'll post more on request).

I really like trying new teas and blended teas aren't all expensive. The large bag of Best Tea from Iran which I believe is actually Persian tea was only $8.95. I think it's 8 ounces worth.

Lady Day, would you like a sampler?

Vintage Betty

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I had a similar problem the other day when I went looking for cold medication. I stood there for the longest time trying to figure out what kind of medicine to buy??? Is it the flu or a cold?? Yes I have a sore throat but no cough....but that doesn't mean I might not be coughing in a few days?? Do I want liquid or a pill?? Do I have a fever??? Why do we really need so many choices????

Now tea is much easier for me...I'm a sucker for the cool graphics on the outside of the box lol

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie said:
I mostly drink teas from either Adagio teas online...or a local place called the Vintage Tea Leaf.

Both have really lovely stuff.

In terms of -plain- tea...of the teabag variety, I drink PG tips from the UK.

What variety of tea do you drink?

VB

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Everything from fruity herbal stuff...to Russian Caravan tea...mmmm smokey.

Only kind I am not super fond of is everyone else's favorite, Earl Grey. the Vintage Tea Leaf has one called Purple Princess, which is Earl Grey with added lavender and I like that, as it lessens the Bergamot.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage Betty said:
I'm a big tea drinker; I have been for many years. I probably have about 40-75 varieties in my kitchen right now from all over the world: China (White Tea, Monkey Tea, First Flush limited run, White Peony, Monk Tea, Jasmin - at least two varieties), Japan (brown rice, green organic, Iran (Best Tea - Earl Grey and Ceylon; Amber Tea - Darjeeeling, Earl Grey and Ceylon with probably some Bergamot); Hawaiian, French (Kusmi - Earl Grey and Orange; Mariage - Marco Polo **A favorite with chocolate undertones**, Russian (Smoked Tea), African, Indian, Kenyan, English and many others (I'll post more on request).

I really like trying new teas and blended teas aren't all expensive. The large bag of Best Tea from Iran which I believe is actually Persian tea was only $8.95. I think it's 8 ounces worth.

Lady Day, would you like a sampler?

Vintage Betty

Dare you spoil me VB!?
I think I shall take that chance!!!

You are a sweetie!

LD

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie said:
Everything from fruity herbal stuff...to Russian Caravan tea...mmmm smokey.

Only kind I am not super fond of is everyone else's favorite, Earl Grey. the Vintage Tea Leaf has one called Purple Princess, which is Earl Grey with added lavender and I like that, as it lessens the Bergamot.

Bergamot seems to be to personal taste; I know people who love and hate it. (The person who hates it is English). But I can understand; it's very "perfumy" for a tea.

Never tried Purple Princess, is that a regional tea? I'm running into a varietal blend which is African Red + some fruit and flower blend + earl grey = packaged with a label of your choice = a local tea. I picked it up at two seperate locations in the US, and they are nearly similar, slightly different blends. I like the one from the Witches House in Maine the best.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've definitely noticed this trend LD--in tea and everything else. Sometimes you just want something plain and unmessedaroundwith (a new word I just created).

I hope you feel better soon dear! Now that you've found it, drink lots of tea!

Vintage Betty

Lady Day said:
Dare you spoil me VB!?
I think I shall take that chance!!!

You are a sweetie!

LD

Yes I do. Who better to spoil than a Bartender? So...the question remains...do you LIKE blended teas? Any tea you don't like?

VB

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage Betty said:
So...the question remains...do you LIKE blended teas? Any tea you don't like?

VB

My favorite tea is Earl Grey. I even wanted to get the oil and prepare my own. I love black teas, and the clean robust taste of white teas. Not an herbal tea kinda girl.

Green on occasion.

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Never tried Purple Princess, is that a regional tea? I'm running into a varietal blend which is African Red + some fruit and flower blend + earl grey = packaged with a label of your choice = a local tea. I picked it up at two seperate locations in the US, and they are nearly similar, slightly different blends. I like the one from the Witches House in Maine the best.

Its a blend done in house at a Tea Parlor in Long Beach...they do ship however...and I could also get you some if you wanted to try it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe