Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Fur or not to Fur *invest, that is*

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
So, I found a GORGEOUS black 1930s fur collar/cuff coat for a mere $45 in a vintage shop 'round here. It fits, it's amazing....but I'm concerned about the cleaning costs....anyone know how much a wool/fur coat would cost to clean? I'm a poor poor poor grad student and don't want to buy a lemon in disguise...but it's SO GORGEOUS!!! If I buy, there WILL be photos of this gem....

MissHuff

A-List Customer
At first look at the title I thought this was going to be a debate of whether or not wearing fur is okay. I have mixed feelings on the issue because I have seen some lovely furs in my day and adore them but the other half of me feels bad for the animal. So I try to lean toward the idea that if I get something old then it's not too bad. It already happened years and years ago and the coat or what have you would just go to waste. I don't know I'm not trying to stir anything up.

Along the lines of the cleaning costs. I have looked into this myself because I have come across some fabulous fur items at the Salvation Army but worried about the cleaning and storing it and such. After asking around I got a general consensus of about 50-75 dollars for a cleaning. I don't know what the details of the cleaning are or what prices would be for different styles and furs.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know where you are, but I know in Boston I had a full length seal coat professionally cleaned for $100. The price might be lower if you live outside of the city.
However, I have a few fur coats. They are incredibly durable and rarely need to be cleaned. This might just be because I don't wear them all that often. But my Mom has a few minks, and with proper storage they last a very long time. My seal coat is from the early 1900's, and I only had it cleaned because it was stored in my parents cedar closet, and was quite smelly.

If you love the coat, go for it, it really is a great price. I'd suggest you contact your local furrier or furl cleaner to find out what the cost of cleaning the coat would be. I understand that you might want to get it cleaned immediately, being that it's vintage. But, if it is in great shape it might be worth the investment. If cleaned properly, as well as stored properly, you should get many years of use out of it before you have to clean it again. Also, and I'm sure you already know this but it can't hurt to say it, never wear fur in the rain/snow. Almost nothing smells worse than wet fur coat. It's like wet old dog:eek: Of course, fur's are meant for the cold, and animals live outdoors and survive in the cold all the time. But, a nice fur coat although it may keep you warm, should stay out of contact with water.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Post a picture if you end up buying it, it sounds lovely and once again, you really can't beat the price, even if you do have to invest some money into having it professionally cleaned:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to intrude ladies.

But I see vintage fur in my travels all the time. In particular, I see tons of these stole things,...uh, I think that's what they are anyway. The best way I can describe them is that they are generally 3 or 4 uhhm,...weasels sewn together. Or rather, members of the weasel family. All with the heads and feet still attached. Mostly brown minks, but sometimes a few larger black martens strung together,...even an occasional chain of ermines. I'm wondering if these things are worth buying for their investment value, if nothing else? [huh]

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
But I see vintage fur in my travels all the time. In particular, I see tons of these stole things,...uh, I think that's what they are anyway. The best way I can describe them is that they are generally 3 or 4 uhhm,...weasels sewn together. Or rather, members of the weasel family. All with the heads and feet still attached. Mostly brown minks, but sometimes a few larger black martens strung together,...even an occasional chain of ermines. I'm wondering if these things are worth buying for their investment value, if nothing else? [huh]

I don't know about investment value, but they sure are a great conversation starter...I like to make the little buggers talk! And make their little feet dance. Yeah, I'm strange, and I own a few of those stoles, and I do wear them on occasion. And before anyone gets mad at me, I don't think they should kill any new animals for fur. But I do love and appreciate the old ones that I can't save anyway. From an eBay point of view, to resell them you have to be very careful that you do not sell an endangered species. You really have to know what you are doing with fur. I have a gorgeous leopard cuff and collar set that is real, and I'm kind of stuck with it, as I cannot sell it legally. But it was free, and I had to save it from the garbage....
Sorry to ramble here. I have a real leopard jacket, a sheared beaver coat and what I think might be fox, and I love wearing them. But it's true-you DON'T want to get them wet. They reek!!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Oh man I have been wanting one of these for literaly years now! I found one when I first moved to the coast about a year ago while at a thrift store with my mom and it was $10.00 (it had four heads mind you) I could not justify buying it because I did not even have a job yet and had just moved into town. Last fall I was at a garage sale and a lady spotted one and asked how much to the lady tending the sale and she said $1.00...grrrrr if I only I had been there a few moments earlier!!!! The lady was buying it for her theatre to outfit the playhouse wardrobe. Then, when I went to the Portland antique show I saw a bunch of them and talked to one of the vendors about them and they said they usually charge about $10.00 per head in the vintage and antique stores. I am still hoping that a really "good deal" will come my way again.

Brooksie

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
we get in TONS of vintage fur coats and stoles at the thriftstore i work at. most end up going for under $30. i haven't seen any of the ones with heads yet, but brooksie, what's your cap? i can keep an eye out for you if you like.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
Oh man I have been wanting one of these for literaly years now! I found one when I first moved to the coast about a year ago while at a thrift store with my mom and it was $10.00 (it had four heads mind you) I could not justify buying it because I did not even have a job yet and had just moved into town. Last fall I was at a garage sale and a lady spotted one and asked how much to the lady tending the sale and she said $1.00...grrrrr if I only I had been there a few moments earlier!!!! The lady was buying it for her theatre to outfit the playhouse wardrobe. Then, when I went to the Portland antique show I saw a bunch of them and talked to one of the vendors about them and they said they usually charge about $10.00 per head in the vintage and antique stores. I am still hoping that a really "good deal" will come my way again.

Brooksie
That settles it then! :) Weasels really are a good investment. If I happen upon any more,(and I'm certain I will) I will buy them if the price is right. I will give the ladies in the lounge here first dibs on any finds.
I fully agree though, that the whole fur issue as regards endangered species is completely valid. That is, I would never trade in any endangered animal's hide. That to me is thoroughly heinous and unconscionable. :mad:
Nor do I support the wholesale skinning of currently abundant fur bearing critters, seeing as I am one myself. lol
Varmints are one thing, and if an animal has to be killed for food, then why not make use of the skin for leather jackets or fur covered whatsits? Most especially if it happened long ago.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It's true she does! Here's proof:

21676163_l.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Well, I don't know a whole lot. I've read a little on it lately though.

The skin should be supple. If it's stiff, it may be on it's last legs. Also, if it sheds, it is on it's last legs, don't buy it.

Remember what Daisy quoted was for a full length coat. If you really want an idea of what cleaning it will cost you for what you have in mind, try calling a furrier in your area. You can look them up in the yellow pages.

If I remember right, they should be cleaned and glazed once a year...

Good luck!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Again, I know this topic wasn't about the ethics of fur, but I just wanted to say I share the opinion of vintage fur is kind of OK, modern fur not so much. OK the animals were raised solely to be killed, but they wouldn't be alive 60 year after the fact anyway. I wish that my family knew what had happened to my granny's beautiful fur coats from the 40s. However, I would be most uncomfortable wearing them, and the looks that I just know I would get from people. Or if someone were to throw something at me and ruin it! I couldn't take that chance.

I quite like the faux fur lines that Coquette Faux Furriers do, but I'm not sure if the little fake fox heads are too silly or not!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few things with fur trim, and never have had them cleaned. I wouldn't worry about it! The fur doesn't seem to attract dirt, or me spilling things on it.

Sunny

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
Well, I don't know a whole lot. I've read a little on it lately though.

The skin should be supple. If it's stiff, it may be on it's last legs. Also, if it sheds, it is on it's last legs, don't buy it.

That's definitely what I've heard. Apparently it's impossible to recondition a fur once the skin dries, and when it starts shedding, it's never going to stop. This came up in a mid-Victorian costuming discussion - keep in mind that original furs from that period are a good 80 years older than the vintage ones! lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have two of these fur stoles, they are so much fun-great conversation starters that's for sure! I figure if I am reenacting the 1920s or the 1930s, I am wearing what they wore back then. Now, would I go out and buy a modern fur coat, probably not. Of course I live in Texas too! Here's a couple pictures of mine. I got both on ebay for under $20 each, can't remember the exact price. They are usually more in the antique stores.

wrap.jpg

ftwevent4.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Wow, Thanks so much! That was when we went to a dance with Atomic Glee and his girlfriend in Ft Worth- I posted a new Dallas event in the "events" section so all you dallas and ft worth loungers check it out!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
It's true she does! Here's proof:

21676163_l.jpg

What a great picture!

When I was a little girl, a friend of my mother's game me a couple of those stoles to play with. Man, I loved that thing! Used to sleep with it even. I was too young to have a pet, so I think that stole sorta took the place of one for me. Hee hee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe