Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tie tack purpose?

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
I'll acknowledge that I'm addicted to tie tacks. While I don't profess to know the exact historical purpose, here's what I use them for: to keep my darn tie from blowing all over the place! :mad: Besides, I think they look nice.

My primary tie tack broke (a gold "B" for my last name) a while back and I'm lost without it.

Steve

Zig2k143

Practically Family
PastimeSteve said:
While I don't profess to know the exact historical purpose, here's what I use them for: to keep my darn tie from blowing all over the place!

Steve

I think that is what they are used for.

Dagwood

Practically Family
An article from Slate dated May 29, 2007 notes, in part, "A tie clip, also known as a tie bar, tie slide, or tie clasp, clips horizontally across a man's tie and holds it to his shirt, stabilizing it while also assuring that the skinny part will not emerge from behind the wide part. Tie-wearing has been popular since the late 17th century (when the scarflike "cravat" was in vogue), but it was not until about 1850 that the four-in-hand tie, or typical long tie of today, became prevalent. By 1870, men were using tie pins or tie sticks to affix the tie directly to the shirt. But these required puncture-action and thus damaged anything made of silk, as many ties were by 1920 or so. Tie clips rose to prominence in the 1920s, when pioneering tailor Jesse Langsdorf developed a procedure for cutting ties that discouraged wrinkles and, more important, allowed the tie to fall straight down and more or less stay there, as ties are expected to do today. The simultaneous advent of silk ties and predictable tie behavior helped the gentler tie clip outpace its pokey cousin."

Wikipedia notes: "A similar neckwear-controlling device is the tie pin (also stickpin, tie tack, or tie tac), a pin that tacks the tie directly to the shirt or to a chain, which slips through the buttonhole of the shirt. It is also much more subtle as it is much smaller than a tie clip or tie bar. However, the pin on a tie tack will inevitably damage the tie because the pin must pierce the tie."

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Tourniquet, garrotte, all around binding device. :)

:eek:fftopic: Or a whip for swinging from tree branches. Of course, judging by some avatars (especially one) here, ties can also be used by women to pull a guy in a certain direction. ;)

Back on topic, I've never liked tie bars for some reason. They feel too bulky to me, but I understand why some prefer them over the tacks. I had a fancy sales guy at Men's Warehouse (I really don't like that place) try everything possible to sell me on a $80 tie bar, telling me my tie tack was too primitive for today's age. :mad:

Steve

Feraud

Bartender
I like a tie bar over a tac because I do not want to poke a hole in the tie.
Here is a nice cufflink/tie tac set I picked up in California.
Picture5683.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
I use both, depending on my mood, and match it with whatever fountain pen I am using that day. I have several vintage bars and tacs.

I let it slip on another board that I wear a tie bar, and have recieved grief ever since. It doesn't stop me, though!

Feraud

Bartender
Ah, I see.
I am not fond of some of the modern slide tie bars. There is not enough pressure to hold the slide in place. I lost a beautiful sterling silver and amber bar given to me as a gift due to a lack of pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe