Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is why Stetson Stinks

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
For all you who saw my NOS Playboys, you know what Stetson USED to be capable of making. But look what they did to the Playboy hat. Honestly, if my dogs face was as ugly as this hat, I'd shave it's butt and teach it to walk backwards.

This is the Playboy 2, could they have ruined it anymore than this? I don't think so.

uglyplayboy.jpg

fedoralover

Kinda reminds me of Ford's Mustang IIs of the 1970s. Remember the ad slogan? "Score a Mustang Two, boredom zero." Oh yeah, they had lots of style. All bad style, true enough, but lots of it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
For all you who saw my NOS Playboys, you know what Stetson USED to be capable of making. But look what they did to the Playboy hat. Honestly, if my dogs face was as ugly as this hat, I'd shave it's butt and teach it to walk backwards.

This is the Playboy 2, could they have ruined it anymore than this? I don't think so.

uglyplayboy.jpg

fedoralover
They'll probably sell lots of them...[huh]

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dear Lord! Do you know how many Muppet pelts you need to make a hat like that? They must have killed off the entire cast of the Sesame Street to make that monster. Wearing dead Muppets is just wrong. Beavers – Yes, Rabbits – yes, heck even using a little badger to help later up your shaving foam is fine but exploiting Muppets like that is just wrong. Wrong I tell you WRONG. Wait till the Jim Henson society for the equal rights of puppets/Muppets and pantomime finds out about this. There is going to be protests in the streets. Grover is going to make the call from far and near, Gonzo the Great is going to lead the million Muppet march. Oh the humanity..................
Johnny

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Well, since that hat has been put to rest, perhaps it would be fair to note that every vendor makes mistakes - that just was a particularly egregious one by a vendor that should have known MUCH better!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm guessing that's a 60s or 70s Stetson. Probably far
superior to today's hats in that it probably has a
decent sweatband and a fair amount of beaver
in the felt, if misused beaver. To be fair,
you can't hold Stetson responsible for the
style excesses of the 70s. People may well have
wanted hats that looked like that. It was probably
a better quality hat than the tweed or suede hats
you could get in those days...

Probably far superior in quality to this:
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/hatstore/prods/s4010-bl.html

or this:
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/PROD/stet/0183c

But that does seem to be when they started pissing it all away.

[vendor chosen in order of appearance with an ugly hat on Google]

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
Honestly, if my dogs face was as ugly as this hat, I'd shave it's butt and teach it to walk backwards.

fedoralover

From the looks of that hat they did shave some dogs butt and made a hat out of it. Sort of, "Hey, I like your dogs butt, can I wear it as a hat? Splendid!":eek:

I swear some peoples kids.:rolleyes: That vendor who came up with that steaming pile should be pimp slapped.

Cheers!

Dan

FedoraGent

One Too Many
It's no doubt that the younger generation will go ahead and take a look at this and think it's 'off da hook'. Of course, they'll buy it. Of course it will take off and every hip hop loving bastage will enjoy it. Guarenteed. OMG, I sound like my father...I'm going to bed...

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
UH -I dont know what to say

Chia Hat? Anyone remember double knit bell bottom paisley pants with long pointy collared shirts? Must be someone somewhere who is looking to go vintage 70's! Alf, gotta love it!!:eusa_clap

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Today Dobbs (aka Stetson) has the Steve Harvey Collections. I think that playboy comes from the Huggy Bear collection i.e. Starsky and Hutch. I think it would sell again perhaps to those who have returned to the video counter to rent such a movie.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
THE CADDYS IN THE SHOP...

and the girls are still in Germany...but i still got the hat.

Not to be used as a pillow...oh how i hate hair balls.

MK said:
If you wear that hat, you probably drive a purple Cadillac and have a stable of hoooes.

Or wishes he did.

In fairness (if that's the right word) to the person who once wore that hat, I'd wager that there are photos of just about all of us, taken 30 or so years ago, that we wish would get lost forever. And then, there has to be SOMEBODY who can pull off that look, even today, without looking silly. That person ain't me, but ...
I found myself in your fair burg Friday night, MK. The dewy-eyed bride and I buzzed down there for dinner with some old friends. Parked at the curb near the place we had dinner was a '67 (I think) top-down Cadillac. It wasn't purple, but it was definitely a head-turner, in that gloriously gaudy way of Cadillacs of that vintage. I asked the keeper of a wine bar on that block, a place our friends frequent with some regularity, if she knew who owned the old Caddy. Yes, she said, it belongs to a guy I could probably find in a bar across the street. He'd be wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt and knocking back whiskey and beer. Her tone indicated that she didn't approve of him, his style, or his choice of libation, which I took as a mild dig at me, seeing how I indicated an interest in his car.
Pardon me for going a bit off topic here, but it kinda relates, I think. What's that song lyric? Something like, "Wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same?"

hatflick1

Practically Family
Shhh! (Next April Fool's Day somebody send this hat to Art and ask him to duplicate it. Only in lime green.)

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
FedoraGent said:
It's no doubt that the younger generation will go ahead and take a look at this and think it's 'off da hook'. Of course, they'll buy it. Of course it will take off and every hip hop loving bastage will enjoy it. Guarenteed. QUOTE]

God I hope NOT !!!! :eek: I hate ball caps but even they would be preferable to that parody of a hat !!lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally