Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Phantom (1996)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fun movie, anyone else like it? It was on TV here a couple of months back, and then I saw it on DVD for ten bucks so I bought it. Very light and enjoyable, seems in the vein of The Shadow to me, another 1930s action hero piece I really like.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Yes, we've mentioned this before

Great clothes, great look, Billy Zane plays him just right.
A friend saw my copy on my video. He said, "Ugh, you like that movie?" I replied in the affirmative. "What about that laser battle rip off from Big Trouble in Little China?", he retorted. I realized that I had forgotten that scene. Blanked it out actually. I really don't like that scene but I love the rest so much it evens out.;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I thought I was the only who liked that movie. It seem to capture the comic perfectly and the humor was sly. "No smoking in the Skull Cave."

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Watch the first hour with the sound off

Kind of boring, the pirate cove thing and the laserbeam skulls were just embarassing, but it looked good up to that point. Especially Catherine Zeta Jones as the mildly evil Valkyrie kind of character. Hummana hummana.

valkyrie.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A line that I always think of is when Shrevy (I mean Al the cab man) says "You're kidding, right?" and Kit says with a slight smile, half over his shoulder "I don't kid.". Zane's delivery is excellent.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's rather fun in a campy way. Some nice action, cliffhangers & visuals for the eyecandy. Easy entertainment of the serial hero films ilk. So, I'd say that I enjoy it when I watch it, just like The Shadow.

Cheers!

Dan

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would; especially since I was an avid fan of the comic strip as a kid. (still have all of those strips clipped out from the early 1980s!)

He who walks, baby!

I always thought that Billy Zane would've made a good "Hannibal Heyes" if they ever remade Alias Smith & Jones into a movie (though I hope they won't, given the recent remakes of cherished TV classics).

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
hehe i remember going and seeing both of them in the theater when i was a kid...when my dad asked me what movie i had seen he was shocked, remembering them from when he was a kid. i do have both in me dvd collection, and normally they are played as a double feature :p

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
While I did like both The Shadow and The Phantom - I didn't think they were as good as The Rocketeer (even after the Disneyfied Steven's original work).

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
While I did like both The Shadow and The Phantom - I didn't think they were as good as The Rocketeer (even after the Disneyfied Steven's original work).

I still prefer The Phantom, as I read the strips on a daily basis as a kid. I've even got a replica bronze skull ring around here somewhere. Got in trouble for hitting my brother hard on the arm to see if it really left a skull impression. All it left was a massive bruise. My dad left a matching massive bruise on my rump soon thereafter. :D

But let me tell ya ... The Rocketeer did have that "Jennifer Connelly in a sweater" thing going on. Halleluyah!

Richard

dr greg

One Too Many
and...

LocktownDog said:
IBut let me tell ya ... The Rocketeer did have that "Jennifer Connelly in a sweater" thing going on. Halleluyah!

Richard
Mulholland Falls had the Jennifer Connolly 'thing' happening in a bit more detail, as I recall, took my mind clean off the hats in that section.
As for the Phantom, the comic was the best of them all in my childhood world, and I remember being disappointed that the film didn't play it straight.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm just watching this movie for the first time in years and I have to say, it's really not bad at all. You've got to appreciate that it was done as a period piece. If it were made today, you know it would be updated.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I'm just watching this movie for the first time in years and I have to say, it's really not bad at all. You've got to appreciate that it was done as a period piece. If it were made today, you know it would be updated.

I agree. I love the movie and realize that it is a period piece not to be taken too seriously, just like The Shadow as mentioned by another lounger. The scenery and costumes are excellent and it has a real Golden Era feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust