Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Vanessa

One Too Many
I thought it might be fun (and good therapy) to post about items you might have lost on ebay or similar sites.

I lost these babies to a price tag of $189.16 on ebay recently.

blackpeep1.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
I was watching those FAB shoes aswell! Unfortunatly they went to high:cry: , as they would have fitted me aswell!!

P.S This thread is a great idea!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm still so sad about this one. By one of my favorite Ebay sellers, I lost if by $1.50. Listed as c.1950, it's from about 1938-39 in reality.
g776.jpg
g7762.jpg

g7763.jpg
g7764.jpg

Naama

Practically Family
Oh my god! Lauren, I can feel your pain!

I'm so stupid I just lost this one:
88_1_b.JPG

It got away for only 24,50!!!! My mistake was that I got to sleep before the auction was over! Too bad! :(

Naama

decodoll

Practically Family
Oh Lauren, I feel for you as well...that is beyond words!

And yes...forgetting about auctions that end up going really cheap is the worst!

Here is one that I recently lost...should have bid more! :( I was trying to be good at that particular moment...

7097%2034.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
I hate when you forget about auctions. . .

I've had that happen, its SO annoying especially when its a items you really wanted and it went for a low price!!:cry:
There were three pairs of shoes on and I went shopping and managed to miss them all!:cry:

Vanessa

One Too Many
I think we need to have some sad violin music playing in the background as we all list our near-misses.

maisie

Practically Family
That's too ironic! But I know how you feel! I really do!

I suppose it is!! But I keep saying to my self do I need more shoes, I have no where to put them know! But then I come back to reality, of course I need more shoes no one can ever have enough!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More than one got away

I know how you are all feeling. I don't have any pictures of all the ones that are getting away from me, but I keep missing out on auctions. I'm pretty new at this, but I've been an e-bayer for many years, and I thought I had a pretty good system down, but I guess I thought wrong! E-bay is my main source for buying vintage, because for some reason Boston doesn't have a great deal of stores for vintage clothing, and I don't sew(I do see lessons in my future!) Lately I have found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning just so I can see if I won auctions. It just seems like I keep losing the auctions for the items that I really want! I feel all of your pain :cry:

maisie

Practically Family
Daisy, I know what you mean,I live in the UK so alot of the US auctions finish in the early hours over here! However I still do manage to get some little bargins so keep your eyes peeled for that speacial item that will complete a outfit!!

Vanessa

One Too Many
But don't you have to set a limit then? I don't know about you - but sometimes when I'm watching an auction of something I really want. . .I tend to overbid in the heat of the moment. . . :rage:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
snipers

I've heard about those services, but don't they give you a monthly limit on your bids. Besides there is something fun about watching the last few minutes of an auction, waiting for that page to pop up that says "you have one this item". I just have to set my cell phone to beep a few minutes before the acution is up, so I can remember to bid!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vanessa said:
But don't you have to set a limit then? I don't know about you - but sometimes when I'm watching an auction of something I really want. . .I tend to overbid in the heat of the moment. . . :rage:

You set the limit in advance. Decide the maximum amount that you'd be willing to pay. Be disciplined. ;)

As for sniper services limiting the monthly amount you can bid: there might be a limit, but it's far higher than I'd ever reach in a month.

maisie

Practically Family
But don't you have to set a limit then? I don't know about you - but sometimes when I'm watching an auction of something I really want. . .I tend to overbid in the heat of the moment. . .

I know what you mean, if its something you really MUST have you just can't help saying.. "oh just another $5, $10, $15, ect":rolleyes: :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
You set the limit in advance. Decide the maximum amount that you'd be willing to pay. Be disciplined. ;)

Disciplined on ebay? I'm sorry, that's just not computing. :D

I lost this one awhile back, but it still irks me. I desperately wanted this pattern, and bid an outrageous price on it and was outbid by a dollar or two. :rage: I sent the winner a very nice message, asking if there was any way I could pay her to copy it, even a bad copy I'd take. But *ahem* she never answered me.

So. Yes. :rage:

decodoll

Practically Family
maisie said:
I know what you mean, if its something you really MUST have you just can't help saying.. "oh just another $5, $10, $15, ect":rolleyes: :)

haha...and that's exactly why I like to snipe! If you bid ahead you give the other person time to go up just another $5, $10, $15, etc and then you end up paying more! Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself on occasion.... :D I still usually watch the end of the auction if it's something I really, really want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld