Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Newton Boys

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did a search in this forum and didn't find anything recent....

"The Newton Boys" was on yesterday. I'd seen it before a few years back but never noticed the clothes and hats.

Stetson got a "thank you" in the credits even.

1920's rural Texas robbery gang. Towns and farms, sophisticates and rubes. Open Roads, panamas and peaked lapels. Old and modern weapons and old and modern lawmen. Peaked lapels and some odd facial hair.

And all of it based on a true story.

To my untrained eye it wasn't a bad story or particularly poorly acted and was a mostly fun jaunt into crime.

Anyway, if anyone hasn't seen it, they seemed to do the clothes up right and the actors don't scream "modern" with their accents or speech. Julianna Margulies is as radiant as always and wears the look well.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, it's worth a rental.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hadn't seen this one my self. Someday though. Did a search for images, and the costuming seems fairly well done.

1255883380.jpg

newton2.jpg

newton_boys_001.jpg

newt111.jpg

newt110.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I saw it when it came out, but haven't seen it since. I don't remember loving it, though I liked D'Onofrio and Julianna Margulies. Matthew McConaughy and Skeet Ulrich not so much.

Baggers

Practically Family
My big movie break...

I'm actually in this film -- if you look hard enough. I played one of the mail clerks hustled off the mail car during the nightime train robbery sequence towards the end of the film. Look for the guy in a grey(?) suit and shoes and a panama hat with the brim turned down.

I was only an extra, but there were just twelve of us plus an aquaintance of mine who had the role of the head clerk (a day player with a couple of lines) working with the principals (McConaughey, Hawke, D'Onofrio, Ulrich, and Yoakam). I spent three nights in the countryside north of Austin watching professionals do their jobs, and it was quite a learning experience. I also came away with a very high regard for Matthew McConaughey's work ethic. He was a team player and a hard worker.

Cheers!

Daisy Buchanan

Yahoo Baggers. I'll definitely watch for you the next time I see this film.

I actually really enjoyed this movie. It's fun to watch, and the characters are portrayed well. I really like the costuming, the ladies outfits were perfect. Well, at least that's what I thought.
I have noticed a lot of films from this era or about the era have been on the premium channels lately. Wonder if it has anything to do with the big productions, like Hollywoodland and Black Dhalia, that have been released recently.
Forgot to mention, I'm a big D'Onofrio fan. I really like him on Criminal Intent. So, my opinion of this movie could be biased based on this. I thought Julianna Marguiles was radiant, really pulled off the look well.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Why Baggers, we hardly knew yee. Bravo.

Thanks. Yes, that was my one shot so far in a "big" Hollywood production, aside from the two seasons I spent on Walker Texas Ranger playing one of the regular background Rangers for a couple of seasons back around the time The Newton Boys was made. Now I mainly do english dubs of Japanese Anime. Look for my latest project, Basilisk, premiering on the Independent Film Channel Oct. 6th (shameless plug ;) ). Beyond that and other voice stuff, I get parts in small independent productions made locally as well as the occasional stage play.

Newton Boys was an interesting experience for everybody. We were having a rather wild Spring that year weather wise, and the production company had to dodge several major thunderstorms during the shoot as well as a tornado or two, one of which damaged a couple of the train cars they'd hauled in from outside the state if I recall. Luckily, the two vintage Cadillacs used in that sequence were nowhere near at the time. I believe they also had to hide in a bank vault while another twister passed nearby while they were filming one of the bank robberies. Unfortunately, that one just about wiped out a small town in the vicinity, killing several people if memory serves.

Watching the film, it was fun to see Texas standing in for other locales such as Chicago. The biggest reach being the streets of downtown San Antonio doubling for Toronto Ontario.

Ah, those were good times. Now if the Texas Legislature would just get its act together on filming incentives, maybe we could get back some of the business that we've been losing the last few years to Louisiana and New Mexico!:rage:

Cheers!

Daisy Buchanan

Baggers said:
Thanks. Yes, that was my one shot so far in a "big" Hollywood production, aside from the two seasons I spent on Walker Texas Ranger playing one of the regular background Rangers for a couple of seasons back around the time The Newton Boys was made. Now I mainly do english dubs of Japanese Anime. Look for my latest project, Basilisk, premiering on the Independent Film Channel Oct. 6th (shameless plug ;) ). Beyond that and other voice stuff, I get parts in small independent productions made locally as well as the occasional stage play.

Newton Boys was an interesting experience for everybody. We were having a rather wild Spring that year weather wise, and the production company had to dodge several major thunderstorms during the shoot as well as a tornado or two, one of which damaged a couple of the train cars they'd hauled in from outside the state if I recall. Luckily, the two vintage Cadillacs used in that sequence were nowhere near at the time. I believe they also had to hide in a bank vault while another twister passed nearby while they were filming one of the bank robberies. Unfortunately, that one just about wiped out a small town in the vicinity, killing several people if memory serves.

Watching the film, it was fun to see Texas standing in for other locales such as Chicago. The biggest reach being the streets of downtown San Antonio doubling for Toronto Ontario.

Ah, those were good times. Now if the Texas Legislature would just get its act together on filming incentives, maybe we could get back some of the business that we've been losing the last few years to Louisiana and New Mexico!:rage:

Cheers!
Hey, that is very cool to know. It's always been an interest of mine to hear about the things that go on behind the scenes. I'm not a star struck type of gal, I like some actors, don't care for others. But, I like to find out how they handle certain situations that unexpectedly arrive during filming. Oh, bloopers are always fun too.
I had't any idea you were an actor. We should write a vintagey movie, and cast you in the leading male role:)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Ooh! Cute x 4! I love the train robbery scene and the real life clip at the end... one of those 'bad guys' you love...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally