Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The man with 100 hats...

jeff

One of the Regulars
... but one remarkably consistent expression ;)

And well, maybe not 100 hats. But WAY more than I. Can you tell I'm jealous?

I don't know why this idea popped into my head, but once it did I knew it had to be done.

So with no further adieu, heeeeere's Douglas!

Douglas.gif

(it might take a bit to load, it's a 350k file)

jeff

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Only a 100? Hmmmm....

You know, I am *DYING* to see his hat room. And he *must* have a room devoted, if not a warehouse ;)

Making the animated gif was quite fun - I had to scale, rotate and align all the images - I based it all on getting both eyes in the same spot in each frame. Which was a challange at times in that in about 1/2 the pictures one eye isn't visible :p

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Really cool indeed. It almost looks like only the hats are changing.

By the way, what kind of hat do you have there in your avatar Jeff? Is it some Indy variation?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jeff said:
Making the animated gif was quite fun - I had to scale, rotate and align all the images - I based it all on getting both eyes in the same spot in each frame. Which was a challange at times in that in about 1/2 the pictures one eye isn't visible :p

YOU nailed it! Whatta HOOT! (& whatta collection!!!, don't worry Jeff, we've all coveted Douglas' hat collection at one time or another! :eek: ) Now can ya' make one morph into the next? If it were me, I'd use it as an avatar. As long as it didn't induce epileptic seizures!

S

Samsa

Haha, that's awesome. I'm surprised no one has thought of that until now.

jeff

One of the Regulars
retrofashion said:
Really cool indeed. It almost looks like only the hats are changing.

By the way, what kind of hat do you have there in your avatar Jeff? Is it some Indy variation?

Indeed, that's a charcoal Adventurebilt. I've played with the bash quite a bit over the 2 1/2 years I've had it...

adventurebilt-c2.jpg

adventurebilt-c1.jpg

surely

A-List Customer
jeff said:
... but one remarkably consistent expression ;)
I don't know why this idea popped into my head, but once it did I knew it had to be done.
Now Jeff, just what were you smokin? ...:p
Its nice to see a master's work.

jeff

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Now can ya' make one morph into the next?

Morphing is quite a bit more labor intensive - you have to designate a couple dozen points on the source and destination image for the software to know what should morph to where. Doing that for 60+ hats would take me days - at least with the morphing software I have.

But... I'll do one just for you :)

http://www.swingteam.com/jeff/douglas-morph.mov

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
x2

jeff said:
Morphing is quite a bit more labor intensive - you have to designate a couple dozen points on the source and destination image for the software to know what should morph to where. Doing that for 60+ hats would take me days - at least with the morphing software I have.

But... I'll do one just for you :)

http://www.swingteam.com/jeff/douglas-morph.mov
Yes, you nailed it for sure Jeff....excellent job. How long did it take you? I really dig stuff like this. :eusa_clap

....btw, the morph came good too.

jeff

One of the Regulars
bolthead said:
Yes, you nailed it for sure Jeff....excellent job. How long did it take you? I really dig stuff like this. :eusa_clap

....btw, the morph came good too.

Not to long, perhaps an hour to an hour and a half. And that was while helping my son on occasion with a lego project :). I did them all at full resolution, so I have that saved away. I only shrunk it down as much as I did because I didn't think people would want to load a 5 meg gif in their browser ;).

The morph took about about 15 minutes - but then I only did a really quick and dirty job, as you can see by the sides of the destination picture caving in. More alignment points would have helped keep things synced. A really decent job would probably take me 45 minutes. Someonewith newer software I'm sure could do it better and faster - I'm using some freeware that's almost 10 years old.

metropd

One Too Many
What seems to go a bit unoticed is not only does douglas have an incredible hat collection and the ease to pull every single one off, but an incredible wardrobe too. Jacket, suits, vests, ties, just impeccable.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust