Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good German

katiemakeup

Practically Family
moved mine over...

Some info on The Good German http://www.clooneystudio.com/thegoodgerman.html Dec. 15 release date... I love Cate Blanchett. Not much of a WWII buff, but I am sure it will be a good film! I also like how the movie poster is styled like the old classic films. Judging by the rest of the production stills from the site above, It should be called 'The Good George Clooney'~ which I am sure Hemingway Jones will be the first in line to see :)

thegoodgermanposter1gm4.jpg

tgg04389dy2.jpg

thegoodgermanofficial00oz9.jpg

tgg11562mq3.jpg

tgg11453zu2.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I have also updated my post to keep all the information in one thread...

katiemakeup said:

The poster is very inspired by Casablanca but let's not blame George Clooney for that. ;)
poster.jpg

I am reading the book and find the story an average love story. The description of the Allied occupation of Berlin is interesting. I am looking forward to the film and what Clooney & Soderberg do with the material.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
The poster is very inspired by Casablanca but let's not blame George Clooney for that. ;)
poster.jpg

Photos are ok, but would it kill the studios to hire an illustrator every once and a while now days? Just look how much better the illustrations look. What would the Raiders poster look like if they had used photos instead? Not nearly as good, I can guarantee you that. I'm sure this all has something to do with agents and lawyers.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Just saw the trailer for it while waiting for "The Fountain" to start.

I told my date, "I am so there!"

Clooney was looking old and heavy in some scenes. Nice makeup job.

Feraud

Bartender
I had to stop reading the book this film is based on. The book was too long and boring. It felt like a generic love story in a WWII setting. Blah..
The stills look good and I am hoping Clooney & Soderberg have done some serious trimming to the film version.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
It gets my vote.

I for one am most excited to see this film. I dont know if it will top Good Night and Good Luck for me, but it should be good. Two different films, right? Clooney is, undoubtedly, the man.

Also, Happyfilmluvguy, Madison Paige, Miss Neciereee, and might all be going this friday in Hollywood. Anyone else care to join?

Feraud

Bartender
Mr Maltby said:
Two different films, right? Clooney is, undoubtedly, the man.
He certainly is the man. One of the few actors today who moves from comedy to drama to romance rather seamlessly. A well rounded fellow I think.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
First Review

Think back, 1945. The war is over, but is it really? The Setting, Berlin 1945, the time? Afternoon. As the camera moves in, we see a private plane enter the airfield and stop. Three gentlemen exit, the last being Captain Jacob Geismer. He exits, bags in hand to meet with his drive, Tully.

Directed by Steven Soberbourgh and starring George Clooney, Tobey Maguire, and Cate Blanchett, in a film noir tale losely based on Joseph Cannon's novel, "The Good German. I will make this known first. We, as in Mr. Maltby, Ms. Paige, Mr. Tony, and myself entered as the opening credits were rolling. We did not miss a thing. From what it appeared, it was archive footage of 1945 Berlin.

The film starts off introducing George Clooney's character and his driver, played by Tobey Maguire. Capt. Geismer, after battling in Germany only 6 months ago, has returned to Berlin to cover a new story on the peace conference. But trouble is struck when he finds Tobey is seeing his old secretary, played by Cate Blanchett. As the film moves on, we begin to see more and more of the mystery behind murder, scandal, and of course, dishonestly.

First the technical aspects. This particular picture was shot with equipment that was available at the time of 1945. The lighting, the sets, the acting and the style, all created to appear like a 1945 motion picture. In black and white, there is no mistake this film could have been released in 1945, aside from some of the language featured in it. The sets, the costumes, and makeup were spot on. From overexposer, shadowed lighting of the film noir style, to green screen driving, where there is driving footage behind the vehicle to make it appear they are actually moving, this film is great eye candy.

The acting: Some of the acting, I was not a big fan of, but who wants to hear my side of the deal? They were all a great ensemble cast, Cate Blanchett, Ravil Isaynov, Christian Oliver, were all great, and in some parts, George Clooney's acting as Tobey Maguire's didn't really catch my eye as much but did give great screen time no less.

The editing: When you compare an older film, with a new film, one big difference between the two is the pace of the camera. An older movie, the camera will stay in a particular angle much longer, before cutting to the next, as a modern film is much like the pace of a music video. The editing of The Good German, however, is a little bit of both, perfect. From one scene to another, I found every moment important, and that is the basic rule of editing, ever moment should catch your eye, and lead into the next. Many editing tricks of an old film are used. For example, transitions between scenes, flashbacks, and how the scene develops through the camera. There is no moment your eyes should not be watching.

The story: Since I had read that some say this film is only losely based upon the novel, and is almost a parallel version of Casablanca, I think it is worth the effort of seeing, only if to compare, and to enjoy. Towards the end I could see the likeness to it from Casablanca, and thinking about it now, much more than what I had noticed was very much a alternate way of telling the story in Casablanca, from the setups of scenes, the situations and conversation. It wasn't Casablanca, mind you, but perhaps a different perpective on how the story could be told, by switching gears. It's easy and complicated to follow, and only requires you to think.

Over all, as Mr. Maltby put it, I'd give it a B. It is not at all the most astounding picture I had ever seen, but you will remember it, if you find it interesting. It has everything from drama, to action, to suspense, and of course, the beloved touch of notorious noir. Nothing is safe, no corner, no street, no person. The raw world, where nothing is as it seems, and vice versa. Your job is to piece the puzzle together, and create your own conclusion. My advice is GO SEE IT. It is something not worth seeing the first time on a television screen, and I would definitely purchase it.

:)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was certainly well done, albeit with a few gratuitous sex scenes (or maybe just one) that could have been left out. The profanity, as in most movies today, is such that it becomes part of the background noise. I always think it has more impact if used sparingly, like Rhett's "Frankly, my dear..." in Gone With the Wind or McQueen's "B.S." in Bullitt.

But anyway, it was a very interesting story, set in a very interesting time and place, and exploring different attitudes toward the German people immediately after WWII. Some blamed them for the war, and others considered them victims of the Nazis as well. I'm still not sure which side I lean toward.

The B&W cinematography was first rate, and Cate Blanchett turned in another amazing performance, just as skillful as her role in The Aviator although a completely different kind of character. She really puts her whole heart, body and soul into a role.

Stock footage of the time was used during the opening credits and in places throughout the movie to good effect, and I saw a woman in the stock footage at the beginning who reminded my of my mother, who was in Austria at the time and who was 29 in 1945. I never could really get her to "open up" about her experiences during that time, although she did mention Russian soldiers looting their house.

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell." – General William Tecumseh Sherman, from an address to the graduating class of the Michigan Military Academy, June 19, 1879

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
good

The cinematography is incredibly authentic. Its stark B&W. Shadows swallow th scenes up.

Its not really a typical WWII film. Its a film noir / cold war thriller, much like Mullholland Falls.

I really enjoyed it.
Perhaps because it reminds me of The Big Lift starring Montgomery Clift.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0042249/

Also, very interesting to see Tobey Mcguire play a very different type of role.

Oh, the language & sex references didnt really bother me, but it should be noted that the movie is violent. Lots of brutal beatdowns & murders.

I'll be interested to read what some of the ladies think of the costumes.

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the recent reviews.
I did not like the book but am going to see it this week. Here is an example where I hope the film strays from the book!

Amelie

A-List Customer
I don't know what's going on, but I can't find any info on a release date in Montreal... it's just so strange, and I want to see that movie so bad.... :cry:

(there must be some bug or something because this is something very unusual... [huh] )

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Amelie said:
I don't know what's going on, but I can't find any info on a release date in Montreal... it's just so strange, and I want to see that movie so bad.... :cry:

(there must be some bug or something because this is something very unusual... [huh] )

I think what happened is that because of it's autheticity, a lot of people didn't understand it as well had it been a more modern style. Originally it was to have a wide release on December 22nd, but no wide release happened. It is playing in Los Angeles (at 2 theaters to my knowledge), New York, and Toronto since December 15th, though.

How far are you from Toronto?

I am reading the new wide release has been bumped to January 19th, next year.

Amelie

A-List Customer
happyfilmluvguy said:
I think what happened is that because of it's autheticity, a lot of people didn't understand it as well had it been a more modern style. Originally it was to have a wide release on December 22nd, but no wide release happened. It is playing in Los Angeles (at 2 theaters to my knowledge), New York, and Toronto since December 15th, though.

How far are you from Toronto?

I am reading the new wide release has been bumped to January 19th, next year.

about 7 hours ride from toronto... so New York is the same distance [huh]
But it's strange, I am really not used to being far from movie releases, even small ones. Montreal is Canada's second biggest city so... :(

But thanks for the info though! I'll keep an eye on that in january!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally