Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The English Patient-

El Jefe

New in Town
Boy, am I glad I found this place.
BellyTank I know exactly what you're talking about!
I spent about 3 years a while ago ob-sessed with that whole 1920-1950 colonial and post-colonial sub- and equatorial khaki/canvas/brown leather vibe...not just in clothing, but general design and style ethics as well...EP was a rich source for that, and check out any of the old advertising materials for Pan Am airlines (All about the flying boats!!!)...
Of course, actually living in Asia helps to float the vibe.
A pretty cool source for some of this type of gear was the deeply missed Willis & Geiger catalogue...one of their last catalogues (print only! no website! orders by fax or mail only) actually even had that fantastic old painting of the Pan Am China Clipper landing in Hong Kong harbour.
W&G absolutely had the Ghurka-waist utility pants, and lots of other similar suberbly made garments.
And now they're gone, what a shame.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Greetings El Jefe-

I've seen W&G, Lands End and Orvis, etc. and never really thought too much of their gear and the styling. Nowadays good gear can be had from Military Reenactor suppliers if you can't get the genuine vintage article. 'Old Town Clothing' in the UK- the link in the post #21 above- make some really nice vintage style menswear- limited range though but I really like their styling.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Still like to find these

Just like 'em. Not the buckley ones.

tep06.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
They look very much like the Australian WW2 variant of the British/Commonwealth tropical trousers. Extended waist-bearer with brace buttons. See the small field dressing pocket? Not sure if these trou' were correct for the year.
Many variations were to be had- RAF, RN and of course, Souk-tailored for Officers, in-country.

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Excellent trousers, Magnoli. I really like the back. Leaving off the the small back pleats and adding two flapped pockets was an great idea.

A couple of questions, though. The pocket on the right front was meant for the First Field Dressing (emergency bandage) that each soldier was required to carry, and I've never been able to find another use for the thing. To really "de-militarize" them, can I have it deleted?

Also, can it be made in a lighter weight of cotton, say 6 or 8 oz? Even the 10 oz twill sounds too heavy for me to get much use in the climates where I live and travel.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Put your cell phone in it, Baggers!

Incidently, for some reason I can't see Magnoli's site here at work. I'm sure it's soemthing to do with gov't paranoia. Could someone post the pics for me? I'm anxious to see these!

Thanks!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:

Incidently, for some reason I can't see Magnoli's site here at work. I'm sure it's soemthing to do with gov't paranoia. Could someone post the pics for me? I'm anxious to see these!

Thanks!

PM sent with pictures.

Personally, I was thinking of a notebook in that pocket.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:

I've tried that. Yeah, it'll work, but I hate the bulge it creates. Besides, I just barely tolerate the thing anyway. I either put it in my Mk VII where it's totally out of sight, or when I wear a belt I keep it in the monogrammed leather holster I got from Col. Littleton.

A notebook, Doc? Again, it might work for that, but might it also get in the way when seated or wearing a seat belt? Again, the Mk VII works just fine for me. In fact, it seems to be the perfect answer to hiding all the little anachronisms of modern life that ruin a good vintage adventure look (cell phone, bottled water, MP3 player, whatever).

Mojave Jack said:

Thanks!

FEDGOV paranoid? Nah, surely you jest. lol You've probably already gotten the pics from Doc, but they're the same ones Magnoli posted on page 2 of the thread.

Cheers!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love those pants just because they are so very close to what was seen on screen. I also like the look of braces with military pants. I am definitely going to get a pair of these; it's only a matter of when.

As an aside, I must say that I am very happy that we have so much character-specific information on gear here at The Fedora Lounge. I discover new clothes ideas from what I see in movies and it's nice to share that with all of you with your similar passions. I hope this section becomes a repository of how to create the look of "The English Patient," if you will, Allan Quartermain, and "The Guy from the Mummy" whose name escapes me. And anyone else we come up with in the near future. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]PM sent with pictures.

Personally, I was thinking of a notebook in that pocket.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Doc! Unfortunately none of Magnoli's photos show up for me in the threads, either, since they are linked to his server. Not that I spend all of miy time here at work on the FL... *cough, cough*

Those are great pants! I agree with you, Hem. I like the specific references. Not that I want to dress like Rick O'Connel all the time. Well, actually I wish I could wear my field boots all the time, but anyway, the costumers spend a lot of time developing that look. Since I have very little sense of originality, I depend on them to put things together that work.

I agree on the modern accoutrements, too. I, too, wear my cell phone in a leather belt holster, though I can feel Heminway cringe from here! lol If the stupid cell phone companies would stop putting the buttons on the outside of the phone, I could carry it in a pocket, and not accidently take 40 pictures, or crank up the volume, or put it into driving mode all the time.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Thanks, Doc! Unfortunately none of Magnoli's photos show up for me in the threads, either, since they are linked to his server. Not that I spend all of miy time here at work on the FL... *cough, cough*

Those are great pants! I agree with you, Hem. I like the specific references. Not that I want to dress like Rick O'Connel all the time. Well, actually I wish I could wear my field boots all the time, but anyway, the costumers spend a lot of time developing that look. Since I have very little sense of originality, I depend on them to put things together that work.

I agree on the modern accoutrements, too. I, too, wear my cell phone in a leather belt holster, though I can feel Heminway cringe from here! lol If the stupid cell phone companies would stop putting the buttons on the outside of the phone, I could carry it in a pocket, and not accidently take 40 pictures, or crank up the volume, or put it into driving mode all the time.

You're quite welcome Jack, I had a feeling that the pics wouldn't have shown up from Magnoli's server.

You've just listed most of the reasons I bought a clamshell phone, too.

Feraud

Bartender
The Magnoli English Patient pants are really nice!

Hemingway Jones said:
As an aside, I must say that I am very happy that we have so much character-specific information on gear here at The Fedora Lounge. I discover new clothes ideas from what I see in movies and it's nice to share that with all of you with your similar passions. I hope this section becomes a repository of how to create the look of "The English Patient," if you will, Allan Quartermain, and "The Guy from the Mummy" whose name escapes me. And anyone else we come up with in the near future. :)
Great point Hemingway J-. I appreciate the sense of camaraderie we display when someone comes up with a request for a "look". A member mentions a scene in a movie and suddenly we have screen caps, retail information, custom sources, etc.
You all make Vintage a lot of fun! :cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
The Magnoli English Patient pants are really nice!

Great point Hemingway J-. I appreciate the sense of camaraderie we display when someone comes up with a request for a "look". A member mentions a scene in a movie and suddenly we have screen caps, retail information, custom sources, etc.
You all make Vintage a lot of fun! :cheers1:
I agree! And what a tremendous reference resource if we have virtually sourced every piece of clothing and gear for all the interesting characters of cinema and have it here at The Fedora Lounge!

Now, if someone would only copy Bogie's overcoat from "Casablanca" EXACTLY... Is there anyone we know capable of doing that?

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Now, if someone would only copy Bogie's overcoat from "Casablanca" EXACTLY... Is there anyone we know capable of doing that?
The tan trenchcoat? I have a fair representation of it.
I have come to fully understand when someone on the Lounge says exactly, they mean exactly! :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Just a quick compliment then I'm out of here.

So I know I can't hide this, and I'm prepared for the flack (but not here ladies - let's open another thread if necessary and leave the gents be), but.....

I've been around for a while now, and it seems to me that you gents are very much more into the very specific detail. I'm very impressed. I mean down to the bulge the wallet makes!!. In awe of the detail... Sorry to intrude... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally