Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Forty arrived today!

Razzman

One Too Many
This is the Dobbs Forty which arrived today. It's a great hat. Very pliable, but a bit heavy at 5 oz. It has an overwelt. Is the famed Cavanagh edge? It's quite clean. It doesn't appear to have been used much.
The color is camel brown with a black ribbon. The interior sweatband is 2".
The brim is 2 5/8". The color is closest to this first photo. The rest of the pics, the color is all over the place almost looks gray. What do you think?

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Top knotch topper

But of course that's the "Dobbs Edge", or at least
that's what Dobbs called the Cavanagh Edge in the
Dobbs hat I have with that edge... ;)

Love the detail on fine hats like that. Check out the
tooling at the top of the sweatband.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
It looks great on you, Razzman! I have a Dobbs Twenty which is made of the densest felt of any I own, but is still as soft as a bunny's butt. I can't begin to imagine how nice a Forty must be! ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Good one, Razzman!

I'm no expert, but I saw in a current auction for a Dobbs hat this description:

The inside of the hat is stamped VVL Twenty on one side, DRB on the other (possible initials), and a stamp saying GUILD EDGE.

So I guess they called it the Guild Edge. Whatever you call it, it's sweet!

Enjoy!
Tom

Razzman

One Too Many
Thanks gentlemen! This hat is quite dense. It actually weighs 140 grams. The complete hat. It was probably 120 grams or so to start, before the liner, and sweatband etc. It's is quite heavy. I guess that would be considered a winter weight felt?? It is put together very well, superb workmanship. It will probably get packed away for the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally