Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Departed (2006)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I can say is, if you are a Scorcese fan, or just a fan of gritty crime drama, SEE THIS MOVIE!! All the performances are top notch (even Dicaprio is 100% convincing), and at 2.5 hours long, the story keeps you hooked till the last scene!

Rosie

One Too Many
I saw this yesterday despite my small protests and must say it was really good. Being a lover of longer films, I was happy and the fim kept me interested. Go see it.

flat-top

Rosie said:
I saw this yesterday despite my small protests and must say it was really good. Being a lover of longer films, I was happy and the fim kept me interested. Go see it.
What didn't you like Rosie? The only weak part I think was the "love story". That seemed forced, but still added some tense moments.

Rosie

One Too Many
flat-top said:
What didn't you like Rosie? The only weak part I think was the "love story". That seemed forced, but still added some tense moments.

Sorry to not answer sooner. I didn't not like it, sorry if it came across that way. I said protests because I'm not much of a theater person, I like to watch my movies at home where I can talk back to the film, lounge on the couch or bed and watch. Plus, I don't like it when I spend 12 bucks on a film and it isn't good. :mad: So, I tend to wait for things to come on DVD or go see it after I've heard many good things.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I can't wait to see this one. Maybe the Academy will finally give Scorsese his due--I'm still incredulous that he didn't win for Goodfellas (or Raging Bull, or Taxi Driver, or...)

Feraud

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I can't wait to see this one. Maybe the Academy will finally give Scorsese his due--I'm still incredulous that he didn't win for Goodfellas (or Raging Bull, or Taxi Driver, or...)
or The King of Comedy. This film predates our current obsession with celebrity and the lenghts ordinary people go to associate with celebs and 15 minutes of fame. Talk about prescient.

Salv

One Too Many
Feraud said:
or The King of Comedy. This film predates our current obsession with celebrity and the lenghts ordinary people go to associate with celebs and 15 minutes of fame. Talk about prescient.

I watched that again recently and my flesh still creeps at seeing Rupert Pupkin; the character is even more disturbing than Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

Feraud

Bartender
Salv said:
I watched that again recently and my flesh still creeps at seeing Rupert Pupkin; the character is even more disturbing than Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.
I agree, he is really creepy. I think it is his persistence and lack of a grasp of reality that freaks us out!
Btw, remember when Pupkin is doing the interview in the basement? Didn't Kramer from Seinfeld do something similar with a cast off studio setting?

Salv

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I agree, he is really creepy. I think it is his persistence and lack of a grasp of reality that freaks us out!
Btw, remember when Pupkin is doing the interview in the basement? Didn't Kramer from Seinfeld do something similar with a cast off studio setting?

Kramer found the Merv Griffin set in a dumpster and set it up in his apartment - one of my favourite episodes.

Daisy Buchanan

Finally, a film that might not disappoint....

OOhh, I'm glad to hear all of your good thoughts about this film. I'm a Leo fan, ever since "Catch Me If You Can". I enjoyed that film, and thought he did a great job emulating Frank Abignale, Jr. Also, "The Aviator" is one of my favorite films. I think Leo does a very impressive job portraying Howard Hughes. I guess he just does a good job portraying real life characters. I also love Martin Scorcese. Pairing him with Di'Caprio, if the performance is as great as "The Aviator", should lead to an overall well directed film with good performances.
For those of you who have seen this film already, I am interested in your opinions about Marky Marks performance. Was he any good to watch? Did he actually make a good impact on the movie and the actors in it? I must admit, I'm not a big fan of his. Before I read your reviews about the movie, I had said I wouldn't see it in the theater, maybe wait for it to come out on DVD, because I really didn't want to spend my money on a film with Marky Mark in it, even if it was directed by Scorsese and had Di'Caprio in it. I also really enjoy seeing the city I live in on film. It's fun, and sometimes with these films they don't do all the shooting directly in Boston, but rather on a set that's supposed to look like Boston. These set's end up being totally wrong. A good example is "War of The Worlds", which ends in Boston. The set they used looks absolutely nothing like the city. I found this funny, but also a bit annoying. One would think that with the size of the budgets on these big Hollywood films, they would either attempt to film in Boston, or at least create a set that actually looks like the city. They have enough money, and they have plenty of researchers who are there to help, I don't understand why they can't get such an important part of the film right. As for "The Departed", I hear that the emulation of Boston is spot on. I'm not sure if they actually did all the filming in the city. But, I would like to see it, just to see how well they portray it. From what I understand of the premise of the film, Boston is a very important character in the story line.

Well, I appreciate your reviews of this film. I wasn't planning on seeing it in the theaters. But after hearing what you think of it, I think it might end up being a film I might actually enjoy.
I would like to hear some more reviews on Marky Mark, but I think overall, it sounds much better than I expected it to. It is so tough sometimes to spend the big bucks that these theaters charge. We have been talking here a lot about the release of quite a few films that we all had very high expectations for, and they ended up being kind of disappointing, like "The Black Dhalia". I was really excited to see that, but ended up not, after hearing here that it wasn't as great as expected. The track record for Hollywood hasn't been all that good this year. I really don't want to go and end up being disappointed. It sounds like this film might actually surprise me. I need this, after all the other not up to par films that have been released this year.

flat-top

Mark Wahlberg does a GREAT job in this film. Hos role is just a supporting one, and he plays it perfectly. I'm not really a fan either, but he was a good choice for a Boston tough guy cop.

Marv

A-List Customer
The Departed.....it's a re-make of the 2002 hong kong flick Infernal Affairs which I personally thought was better.
The Departed's screenplay is pretty much identical to that of Infernal Affairs just developed and streched out to fill the 2.5 hours.
Having said that it's a still a good film and definately worth a watch but if you fancy watching the original and like HK flicks then rent a copy of Infernal Affairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally