Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Departed (2006)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's funny, I haven't seen this film yet, but a friend of mine told me they thought it borrowed heavily from Howard Carr's "The Bulger Brothers," the story of Whitey Bulger, who is an mobster and his brother, who is a prominent politician. For legal, and perhaps personal safety reasons, ;) the producers are denying that it is based on Whitey Bulger, but all of us in Boston know the truth.

It's interesting how different people see different things in film.

I still need to see it. It's on the list!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Heard about Infernal Affairs. Probably will check out.

Thought The Departed was a fantastic 2.5 hours spent. Very entertained. Alec Baldwin has become one of the funniest people in show business. Mr. Mark was great and Leo didn't disappoint.

Feraud

Bartender
My son is off camping this weekend so the wife and I finally got to see a "grown up" movie. :)
We take turns picking movie and my choice was The Departed. I picked a winner! I try to avoid the theater because most of the features stink and the ticket prices are too high.
The Departed is a ganster film par excellence. The story, acting, directing, and score were all the work of artists at the top of their game. I was impressed with the cast and especially DiCaprio. He becomes a better actor with every film and especially if Scorsese is at the helm.
Go see this!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I read that "Babel" and "The Departed" are the two Golden Globe picks."The Departed"
has already been nominated for six awards!!!
It must be good! Now I want to see it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Departed

Just saw this. Excellent movie for my part. Language and violence is more intense than Goodfellas for example. Leo did good in his first real hardass role and of course Nicholson was smooth as silk.;)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Rented it last night.

Lukewarm bowl of unsalted tripe. Pointless, meandering, untense shoot-em-up with hammy performances, slopped-up choppy editing, and an all around lack of focus. The last ten minutes devolve into such a predictable sludge that I was almost insulted. It's becoming increasingly apparent that the real Martin Scorsese died at the CAPE FEAR wrap party and the android Scorsese has been at the wheel since.

Feraud

Bartender
Good points Mud. I liked the film Scorsese is not the director he once was. The Departed was on the one hand a generic gangster film that Scorsese has done before, and much better. Then again his mediocre films are much better than other directors' best work.

As for all that Oscar talk, I think the Academy missed the mark by a long shot in honoring Scorsese at this stage of his career. He should have received any awards years ago for his work.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Good points Mud. I liked the film Scorsese is not the director he once was. The Departed was on the one hand a generic gangster film that Scorsese has done before, and much better. Then again his mediocre films are much better than other directors' best work.

As for all that Oscar talk, I think the Academy missed the mark by a long shot in honoring Scorsese at this stage of his career. He should have received any awards years ago for his work.

The academy can go jump in a lake as far as I am concerned and hopefully Marty feels the same way. I hate to be so hard on the chap but the is the guy who brought us TAXI DRIVER and THE KING OF COMEDY! The unmitigated crap is been feeding us the past 15 years is so far below his previous standards that I actually wonder sometimes how much he is actually involved with the making of these films. The DEPARTED has set a new low for Scorsese. It was like a truck with no brakes. Even the soundtrack (the soundtracks are usually superb in his flicks) was a very poorly edited rehash of his past work. Hopefully he'll awaken from his creative slumber and bring us one last great one before he kicks the bucket.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Departed

Though not having the class and style of Road to Perdition that sure was a powerful film! Wish I had seen it on the big screen.

garzo

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Though not having the class and style of Road to Perdition that sure was a powerful film! Wish I had seen it on the big screen.

just saw it tonight. Yes, one hell of a film, and I'm likewise regretting not having seen it on the big screen. Scorsese knocked another one out of the park. The cast was outstanding.

I couldn't help but wonder what kind of leather jacket DiCaprio was wearing. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally