Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tankers (Winter Combat) Jacket Pictures.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Some time back I read a thread about repro TJs. Thought I'd share photographs of an original I have so that you Guys and Girls can choose the best repro...enjoy.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

1stsargent

New in Town
Next to the A-2 this was one of the best looking jackets the army ever used IMHO. Rare jacket and one with its tag is rarer still. In the last month there have been 5 tankers on ebay all selling for about $500-$1000

Eyemo

Practically Family
1stsargent said:
Next to the A-2 this was one of the best looking jackets the army ever used IMHO. Rare jacket and one with its tag is rarer still. In the last month there have been 5 tankers on ebay all selling for about $500-$1000

I love these jackets..Got the complete head to toe Tankers gear also.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for posting that photo. I'm a repro man through and through - they're cheaper, more likely to be in my size, and I'm not scared to wear them... BUT I do love to see photos of the 'real thing' to compare against the reproductions, learn about the proper features spec and history of the jacket and so on. I've been leaning to a cheap tanker repro recently - I think I might just do it. :)

Eyemo

Practically Family
The most common "wrong detail" is the zip goes up to the top of the knit of the collar...I've got a few repros that I've used for my shoots, but I don't know who made them I'm afraid.:eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
Eyemo said:
The most common "wrong detail" is the zip goes up to the top of the knit of the collar...I've got a few repros that I've used for my shoots, but I don't know who made them I'm afraid.:eusa_doh:

The one I have my eye on is like that, I think.... though given that it's a quarter of the price of one of the Buzz Rickson / Eastman / etc models, I can live with that inaccuracy. I was toying with the idea of badging one up as the jacket worn by Bobby De Niro in Taxi Driver.... The lining is 'wrong' for that, but at £150 cheaper than the Real McCoys Bickle jacket, that wouldn't bother me.... ;) More recently, I've been tempted just to keep one as is, except for the addition of a BPRD patch. Decisions!

Chindit

New in Town
Tankers

Thanks for posting those pics.
There has been much discussion and debate on other forums about some of the repros being too "green".
Can you please describe what the color of the shell of your jacket is? (I know describing color is difficult). For example, would you say the jacket shell is an OD/greenish color or more of a tan/brownish color?

I'm sure different original contractors made them differently at different times, but your assessment would be very helpful.

Thanks so much.

Eyemo

Practically Family
I'll try...:eusa_doh: If you were mixing this colour, I'd say it was 90% Tan with an add of 10% OD.. Best I can do in words I'm afraid..

Hope that helps a bit?:)

Edward

Bartender
Eyemo, corect me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I read somewhere that the problem in getting the colour right on the repros is that the originals were a much greener colour when issued, but faded super-quick in use to more of an OD shade? Is that true?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82