Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talcum Powder For Men

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
Do any other guys out there use talc on a daily basis? I was able to purchase retail from Calvin Klein and Christian Dior back in the mid-late '90s, at Macy's I believe. Allas, no more, not even from the uspscale establishments. Once in a while an unused item will turn up on eBay, but its put luck unless you already know and like the brand. Does anyone know if scented talc is still being produced by the large brand names and if so what retail sources?

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
I use talc on a daily basis I use an old barbershop brand called clubmans, and put it on with a brush. Both are available at sally's beauty supply.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Clubman can also be found at Walgreens.

Though I have to admit, I've never understood how Talc is used outside the barbershop. Is is just kind of an after-shave thing?

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I've always used talc, although not very often recently. I've still got a container of Mennen bath talc which I purchased ? many years ago :eek: Like most things it will keep almost forever in Colorado's dry western climate.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
I used talc occasionally, it was good at warding off irritation. Now with the hot weather chafing can be problematic so I tend to use Gold Bond Medicated Powder in place of regualr talcom powder.

On another forum I'm on we just had our annual Gold Bond powder discussion.

That is, for the nether regions for dryness and that tingly fresh feeling.

The general consensus is, year after year, that the yellow bottle is refreshing while the green bottle is for men of true grit.

"Tiny gnomes with sledgehammers" being the favorite description.

:D

Mike in Seattle

carebear said:
That is, for the nether regions for dryness and that tingly fresh feeling.

Bravo! Well said, Carebear. I guess we would consider this the male-equivalent of those annoying (name withheld) product for that "not so fresh feeling." Tingly...I love it...

carebear

bruce wayne said:
i need to pick up some sort of talc for after i shower up & get clean at work. i just do not know what to apply it with. any suggestions?
Thanx!!!
Charlie

Attempting to remain couth...

Where are you applying it?

For my feet (dry socks and foot powder are the secret to wearing leather boots long-term in any climate) and everywhere south of my neck I get a pile on my palm and kinda splash/rub it on.

I think on hair or your face you could spritz some on a shaving type brush, like women use their powder puffs.

Mike in Seattle

ACTUALLY, these days, talc isn't really available. What we have today is just a powder of other ingredients containing no talc. True talc "in the day" was made from we now know as asbestos. Don't freak out - so were the insides of those blow-dryers so ubiquitos in the 70's. It's just one of the things that we've learned, over the march of times, can be hazardous and are no longer available.

Brinybay

Practically Family
I don't use talc for hygiene reasons, but pure talc with no scents added is often used by scuba divers who use dry suits to lubricate the neck and wrist seals to make them easy to get on. It has to be pure because the stuff sold in stores is scented with chemicals that can damage latex seals.

No flames.

Talc that has the corn flour in it is flamable when blown into the air, as an aerosol. The corn flour burns pretty fast. They showed a scene where a girl is in front of a cake with candles and the corn flour talc mix was blown out to simulate a fire extinguisher. The cloud of talc mix went up like a cloud of 151 rum when it hit the lit candles. Think grain silo explosion.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer

Ben

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Talc that has the corn flour in it is flamable when blown into the air, as an aerosol. The corn flour burns pretty fast. They showed a scene where a girl is in front of a cake with candles and the corn flour talc mix was blown out to simulate a fire extinguisher. The cloud of talc mix went up like a cloud of 151 rum when it hit the lit candles. Think grain silo explosion.

Who showed this? Is the video available on line somewhere?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I am a serious powder user. For general purpose use I very highly recommend Zeasorb. For athlete's foot, jock itch, etc., use Zeasorb AF.

Both of these products do not have normal starches used in talc powders. Starch typically promotes fungus growth and if you work in hot climates you will be susceptible to fungus if you use powders that contain starch, which normal talc does. The Zeasorb product line uses tapioca which inhibits fungus growth. It is the only powder I know that contains tapioca. I swear by it. I work in hot climates in Africa, SE Asia, and other not so nice places. I also ride motorcycles in the hot Gulf Coast climates (like today, 200 miles in the Houston area humid heat).

Zeasorb usually has to be ordered at your pharmacy. My dermatologist turned me on to it after a severe case of jungle rot. However I have noticed lately that my local Walgreen's now stocks it.

M8

olive bleu

One Too Many
SPRFINO said:
Do any other guys out there use talc on a daily basis? I was able to purchase retail from Calvin Klein and Christian Dior back in the mid-late '90s, at Macy's I believe. Allas, no more, not even from the uspscale establishments. Once in a while an unused item will turn up on eBay, but its put luck unless you already know and like the brand. Does anyone know if scented talc is still being produced by the large brand names and if so what retail sources?

i know a lot of my uncles still use it,and they all get it from Avon.They still sell it in a ton of flavours..you just need to get yourself an Avon Lady:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe