Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swedish motorcycle ordonance jacket - Canvas

Flieger

Practically Family
I just snagged this one:

MC_Orderly_jacket.jpg

I know the leather version looks cooler but for $7 I just could not let it pass me by. :)

/Flieger

renor27

One of the Regulars
Great Jacket

As one who rides a vintage bike would love to get one and the price what a deal
if I may ask where did you get it?
David

Rufus

Practically Family
Great jacket Sir!

I love the dispatch pocket and toggles!

I actually think this canvas version looks a lot nicer than the leather version..

Good find...

I'll DEFINITELY have to come back to Sweden...

:) Rufus

Speedster

Practically Family
Another cool find, Flieger :eusa_clap :eusa_clap and for USD 7.- Waauw...

Is this jacket from a surplus store or from an auction or ??

20 years ago you could by these jackets (and matching trousers) in big numbers here in Copenhagen, both the canvas and the leather variant.

I have a pair of the trousers in leather but never got around to get the jacket.

121_2111.jpg

Anyway i like the canvas version very much.

dsc00068__mc_ordonnans__c_122.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks guys!

I found my grey jacket on an Swedish auction site but there are still green canvas jackets and trousers to be found at the surplus stores. Here's one example: http://www.bbfab.se/skjortor/2004-13.htm. These are unused and the price is US$56 for the jacket and $58 for the pants.

The leather variant pop up from time to time at the auction sites but prices are often higher then the price for a repro.

Flieger

Edward

Bartender
Nice jacket, yeah! It'd make a nice alternative to leather for a period outfit. IMO, it has more of a quasi-military battledress look to it than would the leather, if that's your thing... JMO, but (even as a guy who has a good seven or eight leather jackets in the wardrobe) I like to see alternatives to leathers where those are available, as it seems to me back in the day not everyone could have afforded leather - must have been plenty of folks made do with the alternatives. I guess I just think that having everyone in pristine, top of the range type leathers is a bit like the idea of the 20s as "everyone in zoot suits."

At $7, that's a total no-brainer.... hell, even at the price you quote from the surplus stores, if i'm ever up there I might have to pick one up!

Flieger

Practically Family
I was hoping this jacket would arrive today but I guess the postal "service" is on slow burner during the summer. It does look more military then the leather variant, yes. And that's OK by me. It will be fun to try it out to see what I can match it with. Wish I had a 50's motorbike though.

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
After a bit of waiting the jacket finally arrived today. :rolleyes:

What can I say... Perfect fit even if I choose to wear a sweater underneath (which I doubt I'll have to), the collar shows some small signs that the jacket has been used but other then that it's in prestine condition. It still smells "surplus" (I don't know about other countries but here in Sweden all military surplus has a 'special' smell?). :)

Thinking of wearing this one with a pair of jeans and heavy boots... maybe one of those Newsboy caps on the noggin. Mmm... I have a pair of black leather pants as well... :D

I'll post some photos later. It's so warm here today that I could only stand wearing the jacket for as long as it took to button it up. :eek:

Flieger

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
After a bit of waiting the jacket finally arrived today. :rolleyes:

What can I say... Perfect fit even if I choose to wear a sweater underneath (which I doubt I'll have to), the collar shows some small signs that the jacket has been used but other then that it's in prestine condition. It still smells "surplus" (I don't know about other countries but here in Sweden all military surplus has a 'special' smell?). :)

Thinking of wearing this one with a pair of jeans and heavy boots... maybe one of those Newsboy caps on the noggin. Mmm... I have a pair of black leather pants as well... :D

I'll post some photos later. It's so warm here today that I could only stand wearing the jacket for as long as it took to button it up. :eek:

Flieger

Yeah, I'd say wear it adventurer style - hardwearing khakis and big boots! A pair of US WW2 era style brown para boots would look good with it IMO! either that, or dark blue jeans and engineer boots could give the whole outfit more of an alternative 50s spin - nice change from the Brando mc look! I'll bet that'd be a great jacket for round the campfire...

You're bang on with the surplus smell - Ireland, Scotland, England and Denmark, I've been in em - it's that smell of musty cotton and canvas - heavenly! Only leather and maybe one or two very special young ladies smell better than that! :D

Flieger

Practically Family
For those of you who (like me) crave detailed shots of every nook and corner: Here they are! :)

You've already seen the outside so here's the inside - The lining is not genuine sheepskin unfortunetley. [huh]
Canvas_lining.jpg

The inside of the wind flap
Canvas_Wind_flap.jpg

Almost the same shot, but this time showing the buttons
Canvas_buttons.jpg

Detail of the wind flap outside with the big chest pocket
Canvas_front_pocket.jpg

The toggles that fasten the wind flap to the shoulder
Canvas_Wind_flap_buttons.jpg

Overall view of the collar
Canvas_Collar.jpg

Detail view of the collar clasp
Canvas_Collar_clasp.jpg

More >>>>

Flieger

Practically Family
Continued...

Here's a hidden detail that I really like - Stiched wristlets inside the sleeves.
Canvas_stitching01.jpg

Canvas_stitching02.jpg

Leather lined button holes
Canvas_button_hole.jpg

Button reinforcements
Canvas_button_reinforcement.jpg

Finally... a clasp for the waist
Canvas_waist_clasp.jpg

This is NOT a jacket you put on just to run out to get a pint of milk. lol

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Prairie Dog said:
... it doesn't have to be leather to be cool, Flieger.

Of course not, Prairie Dog. I love this jacket! But I wouldn't mind finding a leather one at the same price. ;)

/F

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Boots like this you mean?
L1010115.jpg

That's the ones!

Truly a great jacket.... it'd look fab behind the wheel of a period British sports car - with a leather flying helmet and goggles to complete the look, obviously!

Flieger

Practically Family
Finally a cold enough day to wear this baby so I took a snap to post here for reference.

Canvas_jacket.jpg

Canvas_jacket2.jpg

[EDIT] Added a picture. Mmm... Toasty!

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe