Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband problem

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've sent an inquiry to Fedora (as he's my resident reblocker), but as he's out he's out of pocket with a family emergency, I thought I'd bounce this off the membership. I own an Akubra Bushman featherweight that was one of the experimental prototypes that HatsDirect was playing around with when they were looking at creating the Federation. As the years passed, Steve obtained a wooden block that was perfect for my taste and style, and has since reblocked and worked this old Bushman to a perfect hat for my head. My problem? For what reason, I don't know, but of all the hats I own and wear, this one's sweatband causes my forehead to break out when I perspire, and only where the band touches the skin. I have NO idea what would have caused this, as I wear felt hats year round, and do not experience this with any other brand or hat. Just this one. Sad thing is, it's one that I've received the most compliments on it's styling and appearance on my head, but with this problem, I rarely wear it. Since it has vent holes and is unlined, it's one that I usually use as things warm up, but with the band problem, it's a catch-22. What can I try? I've cleaned the band with alcohol, you name it, and for what ever reason, there's something there that my body wants nothing to do with. Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Regards. Michaelson

havershaw

Practically Family
I'm almost certain that other folks have a more informed take on this than I do, but for what it's worth, I'm guessing it could be a particular type of leather? I have a problem, really only when it gets warm and I sweat, with leather watchbands. I break out in a rash on the inside of my wrist, and only where the watchband is. I did get a new watchband that was very expensive that does not seem to cause this problem - so maybe a simple sweatband change will do it. Maybe Akubra used a different type of leather, or from a different supplier, the week they made your hat, or they've since upgraded, or something. Maybe Hats Direct could get you one of their current sweatbands, and Fedora could install it for you?

Someone else probably has a more insightful solution...but your problem just reminded me of my problem with watchbands.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, I own and have owned many Akubra's and all my hats have leather bands, so the fact that this particular band in an Akubra would cause a problem is odd, as I'm just not alergic to much of anything, so this one's a puzzler. Regards. Michaelson

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I really don't know what the problem is, but it could just be a reaction to one of the tanning agents they used on that sweatband. I'd just have it changed out for another one if I had that happen, as it's probably the cheapest solution.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
ROFL!
Terrible thoughts of MichaelPoppins going through my head.

Somehow I doubt that's going to happen.LOL

Michaelson

One Too Many
The next time you guys all get together, if one of you would pull the Optimo over old Matt's eyes for that one, I'd sure appreciate it.....;)

Bear in mind, I've had this particular hat for about 4 years or more now, and had no problems prior to Steve's reblocking. I'm wondering if there has been a chemical reaction or change when he soaked it? It's just strange, and I'm to the same conclusion that a new band is all that it needs. I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced this before with a hat they've had for a time.

Thanks for your suggestions. Something to mull over...

Regards. Michaelson

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I am surprised you overlooked the obvious. Coat the sweatband in Pecard's. It is pH balanced and may neutralize whatever poison Steve put in the hat band. Just kidding of course ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I agree with Zohar, that there was something disagreeable in the tanning or preservative process originally that may have been altered during the cleaning/reclock. Easiest thing to do is email me your address & I'll send one of mine over to you. So far I have had very nice comments on them and to date have had no problems. I am assuming that you can sew in a new one yourself?

Art

Michaelson

One Too Many
Never tried. Didn't Harrison Ford use a staple gun? (grins) Thank you Art. I'll be in touch via PM. You are all gentlemen, scholars, and from what MK tells me, good judges of booze. (with the exception,of course, of CoffeeDude. Old Jess will drink anything. (grins)) High regards. Michaelson

Fedora

Vendor
This thread had me rolling with laughter. I needed it, thanks. The remark about the parasol is the one that got it started, and then Rick nailed the coffin shut with the one about the poison. You guys should be comedy writers. Now, I have nothing to add, but just to assure Michaelson that when I do a reblock, I remove the sweatband, always, and place the liner, ribbon and sweatband together and in their own container so they don't get mixed up with other folks'. Each person has their own little container to hold their items. These containers are readily available to me. I located a dumpster behind some sort of lab and grabbed a trunk full of these plastic containers. Each one has this little icon on it. Don't have a clue as to what the icon means. I just ran them through the dishwasher and most of the stains on the insides came off with the wash. Not to worry. :D Fedora

Michaelson

One Too Many
That COULD explain it. Me, coming from working in the uranium enrichment industry in years past, my irradiated body could be having a rejection of the chemicals in YOUR jar. Are you sure you didn't just put my sweatband in the jar you store your garden pesticide in? You know, if that little mark on the jar was a skull and crossbones, it could indicate a problem.....(grins) Regards. Michaelson

milliner

New in Town
sweatband

Firstly, as a newbie, I would love to say that I am glad that I have found a mens' hat site - very refreshing from all the ones dedicated to women wearers.
I am a milliner in Aust and often get this comment from Akubra wearers. It seems to be the real smoothness of the band that causes some problems . Some of them I have been able to remedy, but not all of them.

I have wet the headband but please put plastic behind the headband to stop any bleeding of dye into your felt body, and then scratched the surface with a steelo (a small ball of stainless steel wires that is used for scouring) so the surface is not so slick.
Generally I do this first only at the centre front for testing.

Another complaint regarding these headbands is their constant shrinkage if they are not worn everyday. Wetting the band to make the leather soft (with plastic behind to stop bleeding) and then placing on your head will stretch them back to your size again. In some instances the band has shrunk a whole size, so the old saying of "keep your hat on" rings true for akubras.
hope this helps

Michaelson

One Too Many
Thank you, milliner! The hat in question is the ONLY Akubra I've experienced this with. I wear a Fed Deluxe on a pretty constant basis, as well as the new 'Fedora' prototype that Ron recently sent me, as well as a standard black Fed. No such problems with any of them (but you are absolute right about the shrinkage. This I learned the 'hard way', and do use my hat ring/retainer should I have one on the shelf for any period of storage time). So, with that, she's on her way back to Steve as we 'speak' for a new band, and that should be that. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Regards. Michaelson

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
Michaelson, if you just cover your forehead with duct tape, you won't get the irritation from the sweatband and it's a bit more masculine than a parasol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe