Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband cleaning

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
How do you clean and rejuvenate the interior, leather sweatband and lining, on 40’s Stetson hats without disassembling? No telling who wore these before.

How do you remove green stains caused by size/label inks?

Fredthecat

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
First off, welcome to the Lounge Fred! Secondly, I've found that the leather cleaners you can get from Boot Barn or any western & tack shop will work on the leather sweatband. After the cleaning just moisturize it with Lexol or Picards occasionally to keep it from drying out. I had gotten motor oil on a pair of new boots many years ago and found that Scout all purpose leather condition & cleaner drew the stain right out. What a relief that was. Then I just hit the leather with Lexol & it was as right as the mail. That may also take the green stain out with some repeated applications. Just be careful with the cleaner & conditioner and not get it on the felt, it's a bear to get out.
I'm sure others have their cleaning & conditioning tips as well, so I would suggest reading all their responses before diving in. Good luck!

Cheers!

Dan

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have a bottle of Kiwi leather lotion, it cleans the leather, and moisturizes it. It's worked pretty well for me.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks Dan and Spencer,
Do you turn the sweatband out for cleaning and drying?

Nice to find hat people after all these years of wearing them being "The Odd Duck". Looks like I found a bunch of Quackers.

Fred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust