Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styles of hat by country

iammatt

Familiar Face
I was reading a post by Dr. Bresch where he categorized a hat as "a typically American" style. I was wondering if anybody can give some guidelines as to what countries are known for what hat styles and proportions. I am talking traditionally, and not necessarily todays production. Specifically, I was wondering the differences between the styles preferred in the three main hatmaking/wearing countries of the US, England and Italy.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And what's Canada? Chop liver? I know the Mounties never made a style of hat internationally famous. I think most people almost instantly recognize an Australian outback style of hat when they see one....anyway......

American style of hat? depends what time frame you are looking at. Late 1800's/turn of the century the General George Armstrong Custer look was very popular for frontiersmen. Wide brim hat, Montana peak and a turned UP brim. don't know what time frame you are looking for.

Britain has been obsessed with hats for several hundred years. top hat, bowler, Optimo panama's, pith helmets, slouch hats, pill box hats, caps, you name it, they have worn it. Again it depends what time frame you are looking at, and also, level in society.

care to be a bit more specific?

Johnny

fatwoul

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
...Britain has been obsessed with hats for several hundred years. top hat, bowler, Optimo panama's, pith helmets, slouch hats, pill box hats, caps, you name it, they have worn it...

When I was about 8, I had a deerstalker. Apparently I looked cute as a button in it. lol

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
And what's Canada? Chop liver? I know the Mounties never made a style of hat internationally famous. I think most people almost instantly recognize an Australian outback style of hat when they see one....anyway......

American style of hat? depends what time frame you are looking at. Late 1800's/turn of the century the General George Armstrong Custer look was very popular for frontiersmen. Wide brim hat, Montana peak and a turned UP brim. don't know what time frame you are looking for.

Britain has been obsessed with hats for several hundred years. top hat, bowler, Optimo panama's, pith helmets, slouch hats, pill box hats, caps, you name it, they have worn it. Again it depends what time frame you are looking at, and also, level in society.

care to be a bit more specific?

Johnny

The Tuque! :D

iammatt

Familiar Face
Jeez. Rough crowd.

I meant more for fedora style hats. For example, Trilby styles were common in England but less so in the US. I have no idea as far as Italy. I was looking for some rough guidelines as to what was worn where when, but dealing basically with snap brims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe