Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McQueen-Fashion Icon

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The turtleneck was first popularized in the 1920s by news correspondent Noel Coward. In the 1960s, turtlenecks enjoyed a resurgence, first among beatniks and flower children, then among the mainstream. At its peak, it was being worn by celebrities such as Johnny Carson, Sammy Davis, Jr., Senator Robert Kennedy, Paul Newman and Steve McQueen.

turtleneck1.png

73kihci.jpg

Black turtleneck timeless...... :cool2:

Carlisle Blues

It didn't hurt that he was the prototypical anti-hero. Both on the screen and in real life he defied authority and came out on top.

Combine the aforementioned with some cool looking clothes, a little mystique and out comes an indisputable fashion icon. :)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
The question is, where can I find a decent turtleneck? I want one that isn't, as thin, as a t-shirt.

If I could post a picture, it would be of Michael Keaton's, Bruce Wayne. He was wearing one, in the Bat Cave. It had a ribbed knit, and was about the same thickness as a Commando sweater.

Where can I get one like that without paying a fortune for cashmere?

Carlisle Blues

Lone_Ranger said:
The question is, where can I find a decent turtleneck? I want one that isn't, as thin, as a t-shirt.

If I could post a picture, it would be of Michael Keaton's, Bruce Wayne. He was wearing one, in the Bat Cave. It had a ribbed knit, and was about the same thickness as a Commando sweater.

Where can I get one like that without paying a fortune for cashmere?

Do you mean something like this:

2592748602_2fc65a9396_o.jpg

Edward

Bartender
McQueen was undoubtedly cool, tho i still reckon he'd have been cooler twenty years before his time..... I'm just not that big on sixties tailoring.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Do you mean something like this:

2592748602_2fc65a9396_o.jpg

Yikes. Looks like that fellow, lost a fight with a longshoreman.

The neck looks a little thicker than I had in mind, but getting close. Something along the lines of a RAF pilot, or U-boat commander, except in "commando" black instead of white.

Carlisle Blues

Lone_Ranger said:

The neck looks a little thicker than I had in mind, but getting close. Something along the lines of a RAF pilot, or U-boat commander, except in "commando" black instead of white.

lol lol lol

I think this guy is more like it...

hemingway1.jpg

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
McQueen interview and article

I wonder why the above cited story is called an "interview?" It's an interesting biography, creepy details and all. But I wouldn't call it an "interview." Also, the Wall St. Journal article makes no mention of the fact that probably one of the things that kept the McQueen mythos alive, was the incredible fascination of the Japanese with him. To this day the Japanese have statues (mannequins?) of him in some of the shops that specialize in American vintage (of which there are legion). Lacking mannequins, they have posters, magazines and clothing replicated from "The Great Escape," and many of his other movies. Since I wasn't aware that he was a Marine, I checked his bio on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen . In the entry, I was surprised that someone has described his height as 5'7". I kinda of doubt that. But that's Wikepedia. Thanks for some interesting reads.

Edward

Bartender
Lone_Ranger said:

The first palce I saw selling the repros of these was the Ace Cafe, here in London:

Submariner_Main.jpg

A few years ago, I bought my dad one - really great quality stuff. At the time they offered them in navy or ecru. Seems at the minute they only do the ecru.... might be worth giving them a call, though - if the navy would do you? I know the originals were only in a cream or white, but it surprises me that the darker colours have never caught on as repros, given how much more practical they can be. Maybe the folks who are prepared to shell out for a repro over something cheaper and modern are typically only interested in a "correct" repro?

Oh, a thought.... Buzz Rickson did a whole line of their military repro stuff in black, don't they - maybe they might have a suitable sweater in that range?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe