Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Vogue bowler...1957 (now with new pics)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And now for my 1000th post... I am happy to present to you, a 1957 Stetson Vogue bowler just won on, you guessed it, Eric The Viking-Bay. I was actually supprised that I got this one. Now I have one that will fit. (I hope);)

91_1.JPG

22_1.JPG

d5_1.JPG

27_1.JPG

38_1.JPG

I've been waiting for one to come down the pike for some time now. It's not a Locke & Co. or a Herbert Johnson, but it will do the trick for the time being and I'm very pleased to get this one. Enjoy.:D

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There you go! Everytime I spot one, it looks battered and stinky (I have a battered and stinky one) - you found one that is actually black and fresh looking. Great score!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Congrats DJ Nice Score

Another Vogue, thats 2 in a weeks time. Now I am wondering just what constitutes a Vogue. I thought that it was a style, but that can not be since mine is a snap brim fedora and your obviously is not. It must not be a quality rating since they come in a royal deluxe as well as a deluxe. So now we must count on our fellow loungers to add some insight into, "Just what is a Vogue"

squid

One of the Regulars
Very nice. If you find your Locke & Co. or Herbert Johnson and want to pass this one down let me know.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nevermind those brits

There is nothing wrong with a good Stetson.
That's a beaut.

Interesting to see a date. Given the Vogue logo,
liner, and size tag, I might have guessed earlier on
this hat. Do we know for certain that the date
represents the purchase date? Not that I'm questioning
the date- I can see it as a "retro" item for its time.
The box looks 50s anyway...
Just interesting to find my own assumptions challenged.

Also interesting to see Stetson used the "Vogue" name for
two such different products. We saw another one, a fedora,
in a recent thread here.

Maybe one of its past owners wrote that date on the sweatband to commemorate a special event where the hat was worn--a wedding, perhaps? Just a guess, of course.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
That bowler is older than 1957. I'd date it from the 1930's . Bowlers were pretty much out of fashion by the end of the war (#2) and never came back into style in the states until a few years ago . Now they seem to be fading out again in favor of the stingy brim fedora .
Who knows ? Maybe tops hats will come back into fashion .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

Tony in Tarzana

besdor said:
That bowler is older than 1957. I'd date it from the 1930's . Bowlers were pretty much out of fashion by the end of the war (#2) and never came back into style in the states until a few years ago . Now they seem to be fading out again in favor of the stingy brim fedora .
Who knows ? Maybe tops hats will come back into fashion .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

Could it have been exported to England? Bowlers remained in fashion there long after they faded away in the USA.

feltfan

besdor said:
That bowler is older than 1957. I'd date it from the 1930's . Bowlers were pretty much out of fashion by the end of the war (#2) and never came back into style in the states until a few years ago

When I see bowlers that appear to be newer than the 1930s,
I assume that some of the great hat companies, such as
Mallory or Stetson, kept making them for the older set who
still wanted to replace their bowlers. But maybe not- I guess
in those generations people kept up with the styles in hats
(until the 60s when you started to see people in clearly
dated hats, the new ones not being worth keeping up with).

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Derbies

Derbies were made all along until a few years ago by Stetson(Hatco) . Today they are still available from them in wool under the Dobbs label . You will see plenty of Derbies on Ebay from the 1920's to the 1950's because they lasted longer . That particular model from this thread looks older because of the lining .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

I was thinking along those lines too, besdor. I'm certainly no authority, but that lining looks older than 1957 to me. That date written in ink on the sweatband leaves us to infer that the hat is no newer than that, but it could well be older. Doesn't it look like something the father of the bride would have worn to the wedding? Or a proud new daddy to the baptism? July 14, 1957 was a Sunday, which offers a bit of support to my conjecture. But it was also summertime in the Northern Hemisphere, and that hat would likely have been a tad on the warm side, which argues against it.
Anything hiding under the sweatband, Dan? A price tag, maybe? Whatever its vintage, it's a nice hat, man. If it were mine, I'd save it for wintertime dressup occasions--holiday parties, funerals, weddings featuring expectant brides, etc.

All right, call this self promotion, but I recently put up a column about my two bowlers (bought 20 years apart) over at the Fedora Chronicles. Yeah, it's long, but if interested, you can read about my harrowing experiences while sporting a bowler in NYC. It does take a brave heart. :mad:

And in that vein, I say wear that hat with pride and confidence, Daniel. It's a stunning lid.

Regards,

Senator Jack

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This may very well be much older than 1957, it's unknown to me until I get it in my mitts and check under the sweat band. It looks to hardley ever been worn. It may have been bought at a second had store in 1957 for a wedding or a formal event, and to commemorate the event it was dated. Then put away for a long time until now. Hard to say for sure. But one thing is for sure, I get some use durring company Christmas parties, friends weddings and such.
All I'll need now with the bowler is a pinstripe suit and a rolled umbrella and I'll look like Her Majesty's Gards officers, and be the best dressed at the event.;)
I'll post more inside shots once I get it and see what tags are lurking under the leather. Thanks for all your kind comments and dire warnings.:) ;)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sorry it took so long to getting around to posting these. Here is the Stetson Bowler.
IG049.jpg

IG048.jpg

It's just a fun hat to wear, wether being serious or silly. Now all I need is a wangee handled rolled umbrella and I'll be set.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally