Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner in 7 5/8 procured!

MattJH

One Too Many
See the auction. Check out the bidding history! My bid went in 2 seconds after the second-to-last bidder, and I only beat them out by $2.45. CLOSE.

I would've never paid this much money for it, but I've never seen one in my size before and I just had two very successful auctions. The way I look at it, I'm trading in a Champ Featherweight ($137.75), a Dobbs stingy ($71.00), and $6.70 for the Stratoliner. It's the only way I can justify this, really.

Even luckier, I found somebody who has an original Stratoliner box that they're selling me for $25 including shipping. It's a bit expensive but, then again, how often do you see a Stratoliner box being sold? I want my brim to have the Stratoliner curl it was meant to have.

Pictures when it arrives.

ADDENDUM - Here are the two auction images, just in case they get taken down:

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
Great buy man. Kind of difficult to pass up isn't it.

It was sort of impossible, yes. Heh. I can't believe the bid I placed where I deemed it doable was only $2.45 above what the next highest bidder threw in 2 seconds before me.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice. Congratulations!

I was hot after a slightly smaller sized Strat a few weeks ago, and imagined I'd be competitive. The final bid was lower than yours by a few dollars, but was still several dollars beyond my highest. I'm going to have to be satisfied with my similarly styled Borsalino for the moment. I'll probably be able to survive it, though! :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Great Hat

I bought one Sunday night,7 3/8 LO.I hope it shows-up in todays mail. I paid $220.10 delivered to my door. This will be my first Strat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Nice hat dj, but I thought that you were going to Akubra exclusively. Changed your mind I see.

Dumbjaw said:
I got my Akubra Fedora (Sydney) in the mail yesterday in Tanbark Brown / Burnt Oak and, really, I don't think I'll need another brown hat, ever. It's absolutely, positively perfect in every way. If every hat was like this, running the gauntlet of colors, I'd be completely satisfied.

I'm actually considering selling off all of my vintage hats at this point, with the exception of my tawny Brooks Brothers, my black Barbiso, and my straw Crofut & Knapp because I really, really like them.

I have two vintage light gray Champs (a Deluxe restored by Optimo and a Featherweight), but my Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone is nicer than both of them. I have a vintage Dobbs in that green/brown hybrid color, but my Akubra Fedora in Brown is nicer. I have another vintage Dobbs in that green/grey hybrid color, but again, my Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone is nicer.

I also have two Akubra Casuals in Regency Fawn and Carbon Gray, both of which are excellent beater hats due to the pliofelt. My ultimate, every day beater hat is my Akubra Traveller in Regency Fawn with the brim cut down to a dimensional 2"-ish cut. My yardwork hat is an Akubra Cattleman in Acorn Fawn. I never touch my Akubra Federation, so that one is listed in the classifieds.

Regardless, with the exception of my Brooks Brothers, Barbisio, and Crofut & Knapp, I think I'm going to sell off the rest of the vintage lot. Akubra hats are fantastic and the bonus is that I get to be the one to wear them down into a perfect fit. That whole process holds value for me.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
An e-bay battle on a large hat. Happy to see that you won it! Congratulations!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Looks to be a very nice hat. Please post pics when you get it.

Cheers!

Dan

MattJH

One Too Many
Bud-n-Texas said:
Nice hat dj, but I thought that you were going to Akubra exclusively. Changed your mind I see.

Thanks! There are certain vintage hats that are exceptions. Before, I'd try to win anything in a 7 5/8. That has changed after exposing myself to a somewhat significant amount of them. I end up auctioning off 3 out of every 4 that I get. I've never seen a Stratoliner in this size in the past 9 or 10 months that I've been auction-scouring, so I wanted to take advantage of it, especially since it's in such nice condition. The worse that can happen; it isn't my style and I offer it in the Classifieds, you know?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
See the auction. Check out the bidding history! My bid went in 2 seconds after the second-to-last bidder, and I only beat them out by $2.45. CLOSE.

I would've never paid this much money for it, but I've never seen one in my size before and I just had two very successful auctions. The way I look at it, I'm trading in a Champ Featherweight ($137.75), a Dobbs stingy ($71.00), and $6.70 for the Stratoliner. It's the only way I can justify this, really.

Even luckier, I found somebody who has an original Stratoliner box that they're selling me for $25 including shipping. It's a bit expensive but, then again, how often do you see a Stratoliner box being sold? I want my brim to have the Stratoliner curl it was meant to have.

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

Hey, I thought you said you had forsaken vintage hats for Akubras from now on....?

[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

MattJH

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Hey, I thought you said you had forsaken vintage hats for Akubras from now on....?

[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

See below:

Dumbjaw said:
There are certain vintage hats that are exceptions. Before, I'd try to win anything in a 7 5/8. That has changed after exposing myself to a somewhat significant amount of them. I end up auctioning off 3 out of every 4 that I get. I've never seen a Stratoliner in this size in the past 9 or 10 months that I've been auction-scouring, so I wanted to take advantage of it, especially since it's in such nice condition. The worse that can happen; it isn't my style and I offer it in the Classifieds, you know?

woodsie

Banned
worth it

Dumbjaw said:

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

Well worth the loot...Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust