Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner in 7 5/8 procured!

Razzman

One Too Many
Great looking hat DJ. The price is irrelevant. It's a fine vintage hat in a hard to find size. If you like it, well then it's worth what ever your willing to pay for it. It was less expensive than a custom hat from Optimo or Art, or any of the fine custom hatters we speak of here at the FL. I say congratulations.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Good luck with it. Wear it in good health.:)

MattJH

One Too Many
Alright, it finally arrived! My apologies in advance for the darkness in some of the first photographs; I was attempting to capture the true color of the hat, but failed miserably at the lighting. There are other photographs with better views. Unfortunately, the hat is tight on me on a significant level, to the point where I'm either going to have to stretch it somehow or sell it. I'd really prefer keeping the hat. I can't tell if it looks good on me or not. I'm not used to the thin ribbon! I didn't really bash it yet, just slightly. Anyway, here we go:

01-stratoliner-hatbox.jpg

I purchased the hat box separately -- I knew it'd be a bit beat up.

02-stratoliner-hatbox-open.jpg

Pried open.

03-stratoliner-front.jpg

It originally had a strong, tight front pinch to it that I pushed out immediately.

06-stratoliner-top.jpg

Better. I love sloppy creasing, I really do.

07-stratoliner-brim.jpg

Bound brim close-up.

08-stratoliner-inside.jpg

A few character stains. The ribbon stitching is strong; I've already flipped the ribbon inside-out.

09-stratoliner-sweat1.jpg

What I've been waiting for.

10-stratoliner-sweat2.jpg

Purchased at Berrys in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia - my hometown! Pleasant surprise.

11-stratoliner-size.jpg

Size tag / ribbon.

12-stratoliner-me.jpg

Me, unsure if it looks quite right and getting a minor headache.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It looks QUITE RIGHT!!! Hope your headache gets better. If I could wear that hat every time I had a headache, I wouldn't mind so much. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wowee!!

You lucky duck!.... :eusa_clap I't a good thing I didn't see that listing! We would have been neck and neck at the finish line! Should you ever divest yourself of that beauty - call me first! Just my size!! I feel NVS! :(

-dixon cannon

nulty

One of the Regulars
Nice hat DJ......well worth the wait I'm sure..those little things like brand labels and it being sold from a shop back in the day in your own stomping grounds are priceless..! You never know....by degrees of separation you could have known the owner of that hat..

If the sweat is chalky or dry in any way use a little lexol to soften it some before stretching. I've had some bad luck with those old brown sweats over the years......

In all honesty I've never really been able to stretch a hat well enough to be comfortable and have it last..I have no patience you see and stretching takes some time with the vintage hats.

I see some curl in the sweat so it appears the hat's shrunk over time...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulation,DJ That is a winner!!! Good for you man. It feels good getting the hat you've wanted ,doesn't it? Now, it was worth the wait. You wear it well:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

MattJH

One Too Many
Thanks everyone!

I'm in mid-decision right now --

01) Sell the hat, or
02) Send it to Optimo for a professional, quality resizing

This is not a size that I could wear around the house to stretch it out. It's closer to a 7 1/2 than a 7 5/8. I've owned two 7 5/8 Long Ovals like this one, but they fit much better. This one has simply shrunk. Can't wear it.

Oh, bother!

Mark G

A-List Customer
The hat looks great! Every hat I've had has been 7 1/8 except Stetson. They always need to be a size larger for me. My Strat is 7 1/4 and it fits great. I hope you have good luck in re-sizing because it looks really good on you.

MattJH

One Too Many
Listed in the Classifieds. I know, I know -- the hat just isn't me, and I can't make it be. Thanks!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
Listed in the Classifieds. I know, I know -- the hat just isn't me, and I can't make it be. Thanks!

Not worth going the professional stretch route? You're already painfully aware how hard it is to find something in that size range, and what they go for. A bird in the hand, and all that...

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Tom

MattJH

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
Not worth going the professional stretch route? You're already painfully aware how hard it is to find something in that size range, and what they go for. A bird in the hand, and all that...

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Tom

I appreciate the thought, but even if it fit me absolutely perfectly, I honestly don't think I'd ever wear it. Oh well! Just goes to show that just because something is in high demand doesn't mean it'll work for everybody.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
I appreciate the thought, but even if it fit me absolutely perfectly, I honestly don't think I'd ever wear it. Oh well! Just goes to show that just because something is in high demand doesn't mean it'll work for everybody.

Ah, well, that's a bird of a different color! Or something like that.lol

Yup, if it's a case of the style isn't right for you rather than the sizing issue, then you're right, of course. No sense in letting it languish in a closet for another 50 years, especially when it can fund getting hats that are your style.

Best of luck!
Tom

A

Ande1963

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I don't think you'll lose any money on the deal.

This gives me an opportunity to ask something I've been wondering about: when considered as open crowns, what are the differences between the Open Road and the Stratoliner?

Never mind... just found THIS!

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust