Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Playboy: Stretching & restoring...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I won what looked like a nice Stetson Playboy a few days ago. I paid peanuts for it ($17+) and that is helping me be less angry.
The hat, as you will see in the pictures, looks like poop because of how it was packed.
The sweatband, once I took it out of the box, was split! The seller never said that in the auction. I contacted him/her and he/she told me that he/she believed hats came like that: Are you F kidding me!?:rage: Meaning with a freakin' split sweatband?.
Seller didn't mention the huge sweat stain in the ribbon either. Also seller said he/she believed the hat was a 6 7/8 and measured the circunference to be more or less 21 inches. There is a size tag under the sweat: 6 3/4!
I'm going to keep it. I started cleaning it. The ribbon looks fine on its reverse so I will be flipping it inside out when done with stretching. The fact that the leather had the split is going to make it easier to accomplish.
On the good side, the felt is in great shape, no moths or stains. Just a pile of dust. Stay tuned for the results.

Inside the box:

DSC05337.jpg

Sweat split:

DSC05339.jpg

After first round of steam, hat sponge, brush. Being stretched from a 6 3/4 to a 7 1/8 :eek:

DSC05340.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've seen hats that looked worse than that come back from the dead & be stunning show pieces. As long as the felt is in good shape and has no major damage all else is replaceable. I think you'll be ok and rather happy with your end results. So far so good. Keep us updated.

Cheers!

Dan

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Aureliano...

I only now found out that you're the one who won that Playboy - good luck with it :) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, Mario. It's actually looking pretty good. I just checked the sweat and it's stretching fine!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Thanks, Mario. It's actually looking pretty good. I just checked the sweat and it's stretching fine!

Good to know. And I also know that you could even sew in a new sweat should the old one come apart. Still...6 3/4 to 7 1/8 - that's mighty stuff!

theinterchange

One Too Many
:eek: That box looks all to familiar, I've had them like that. :mad: At least you've got the experience and tools to help transform this poor hat back into it's proper shape

I swear, in my experience, "lay" people who sell hats on eBay are a fairly dumb lot. [can't really blame someone if they are honestly and truly clueless, but the ones who play dumb are just smart donkeys!] Just last week I won a hat that the seller obviously doused with Fabreeze and then inserted a dryer sheet into the box with it... I can't go near the hat without getting a SERIOUS headache. So, for now it's being stored in the garage.:rage:

Randy

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Did you say "nightmare"?

An early vintage Stetson Playboy for $17 is not a nightmare.
It is a wet dream.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Update...

Hat stretched wonderfully! The ribbon, though... Even after washing it, the sweat stain didn't clear. I'm going to my vintage ribbon source to get some. The thing is, once it dried, the reverse is the exact same color of the hat (blue/gray) and not silvery as in the pictures. We'll see what I find. Stand by!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Hat stretched wonderfully! The ribbon, though... Even after washing it, the sweat stain didn't clear. I'm going to my vintage ribbon source to get some. The thing is, once it dried, the reverse is the exact same color of the hat (blue/gray) and not silvery as in the pictures. We'll see what I find. Stand by!

Sounds really hopeful. Looking forward to pics when you're done!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Restoration...

Step by step. Couldn't get the sweat stain off the ribbon, not even turning it inside out. But doing this showed me the actual color as the front had bled a lot. Found a great vintage match (1950s) at the store. It's almost the exact color as the original A tad wider as to cover the felt discoloration that appeared when I removed the old one.

Straight:

DSC05349.jpg

After performing what I call "the trick":

DSC05350.jpg

Making the bow:

DSC05351.jpg

DSC05355.jpg

Sewing the ribbon:

DSC05358.jpg

PS:
Look what I found when I went to throw the box in the bin! Wind trolley!

DSC05359.jpg

Flange (look at the split sweat. Not so bad after I spruced up the old tiny bow)

DSC05362.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
You have no need to date the hat.. you changed it for one... and for the other
THE CHANGE WORKED!!!!
Looks great!!
You did a fantastic job!
Now lets see it on!!

Thanks, Rusty! I like the hat and it fits me perfectly. I'll take a picture wearing it tomorrow. I'm still curious about the date, though.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow!:eek: That is amazing. Well done to be sure!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
But please, let's the pics on the noggin maybe in some natural light. :)
Thank you for sharing this.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82