Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Playboy and Barcelona

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got my fingers crossed on these, because they are exactly my thing. No size listed, only the one picture, and a meager listing full of misspellings. I'm praying they are either 7-1/8 or 7-1/4, and not 6-5/8 or anything like that. I only found the listing with 20 minutes left on it, so I didn't have time to ask the seller for the size, but figured that for 11.50 total, I'd take the gamble.

According to the listing, the light grey one (the one on the left) is a stetson Playboy, and the other one's a Barcelona.
9677_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
man, if that one on the left is a Playboy, and it's a size 7 with a greater than 2" brim, i want it! What a wonderful colour (assuming the colour is accurate).
Well- I sincerely hope it's not a size 7
I hope it has a brim greater than 2" (pretty sure it does)
and I hope it's that color, because I like that color.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was looking at those. The cream colored hat looks great. Congrats Dman!! I am sure if they don't work out for you I'm sure you will be able to release them here easily

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Playboy air-light

Jeez- talk about fast shipping.
And it fits!
It's the lightest weight hat I own.
Ventilated crown
"air-light" designation on the sweat
crazy thin sweat, sewn directly to the felt
stitching around the edge of the raw edge brim.
Reverse taper.
2-1/8 inch brim
5-1/2 inch crown

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Baron- will do.

I'll be damned if I can find another playboy anywhere on the lounge with these specs, or this sweatband logo. I've also never seen a stetson with a royal blue sweatband ribbon.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's all the undersweat info.
1-3/4 SOFTLW (1-3/4 inch sweat, soft, light weight)?
And enough 7-1/8 tags to choke a horse with.

IMG_3243-2.jpg

IMG_3244-2.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like the air-light designation lasted from 1934 to 1937. So I guess this would be the first generation of stetson playboys.
The ads say that it weighs 2 oz. sounds about right.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Dinerman - at home I have a grey Playboy with about a 2" brim - I don't think it's 2.25", but not sure. I'll look it over (may not be tonight) and see if there are similarities.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Well- I sincerely hope it's not a size 7
I hope it has a brim greater than 2" (pretty sure it does)
and I hope it's that color, because I like that color.

The Adam I got last week was a 7 and I stretched it out to 7 1/4. It's trying to spring back on me a bit but yesterday I reapplied lexol to both sides of the sweat band and put it back on the stretcher.
Bob.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
cooncatbob said:
The Adam I got last week was a 7 and I stretched it out to 7 1/4. It's trying to spring back on me a bit but yesterday I reapplied lexol to both sides of the sweat band and put it back on the stretcher.
Bob.
I don't think the Barcelona is worth stretching, and the Stetson doesn't need it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- I wore it today. Hardly noticed it, it was so light. The brim turns down enough (unlike '60s stingies) to shade the eyes.

IMG_3254.jpg

Dinerman said:
Looks like the air-light designation lasted from 1934 to 1937. So I guess this would be the first generation of stetson playboys.
The ads say that it weighs 2 oz. sounds about right.

Well that looks like the just-pre-Royal-Royal-deluxe etc designations so your timing sounds about right. As a side note, that hat book we discussed a couple days ago has ahat from 1950 sitting on a scale, and it weighs just on 2 Oz.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust