Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 4X to be given a new life

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
We're very fortunate to have our skilled and trusted hatters.

I want this shipped directly to you because: This will be my 3rd or 5th Open Road Style Lid.
JP sent:
"Wow! In 1953 the 7X Beaver cost $50 according to Stetson literature so you got it for less than list price but it has quite a bit of potential there. That hat is one class up from the Stetson 100 so you have some decent felt there my friend. If it were a 7 5/8 I would say lose it my way."

It cost $62.50 with shipping and insurance. It is to be returned by mid Autumn at the latest. ($46 for hat, $16,50 shipping)

$364.97 in the year 2005 has the same "purchase power" as $50.00 in the year 1953.

Hi Jake,
I just took a look at the hat and you got a deal!! Clear beaver is the top of the line. Now, if only it is soft when it gets here rather than brick hard (it was hard!) with stiffener. It would be helpful if you gave me a measurement of your head with a soft tape. That would help with the size issue.(I screwed up and didn't use the conformer properly)

I'll go over everything with you when I get the hat.
Thanks for the business
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt in Hat
Vintage STETSON 7X BEAVER COWBOY HAT 7 1/8 w/box Item number: 8269011131 (Just Won)

1. I'm a 7 1/4-3/8 so a bit of stretch is in order.

2. Brim reduction and re-block into something more Open Roadish/Fedora would just be the bee's knee's. The cowboy curl has got to go...
Brim binding not necessary(?) if felt is of thin high quality.

3. Since I know nothing, I leave all to your good judgment only hoping that my basic desires can be met if possible.

4. As it's warming and dampening up down here, October or November would be latest expected delivery date.

Please look at the listing and perhaps let me know if you will work your Art upon it. :arated:

Jake

Hey Dan. Took my old brown Resistol down to the local western store and had the brim cut down to 2 3/4" on Monday. I had recieved last Friday a brim ring that I had purchased from Duane at the Fedora Store, so Monday evening I combined the two and went after it with steam. Got the brim shaped with the brim ring. The original hatband was a woven leather type and looks okay, but I may make a trip to the fabric store for grosgrain ribbon. The hat is medium brown and I'm thinking a choclate brown band.

Can anyone help me with how to do the "bow"??

The hat is an inexpensive wool hat I had purchased 30 years ago out in Midland, TX when funds were short and the Sandhills Rodeo was coming up, so if I screw it up I can always wear it as a beater down on the farm in Virginia.

R

Red Beard

WOW! That looks great. I actually passed by a 4x Stetson just like that at a garage sale a few weeks back. I didn't know Art had super powers at the time, or I would have bought it and sent it to him.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
GentlemanFarmer said:
Hey Dan. Took my old brown Resistol down to the local western store and had the brim cut down to 2 3/4" on Monday. I had recieved last Friday a brim ring that I had purchased from Duane at the Fedora Store, so Monday evening I combined the two and went after it with steam. Got the brim shaped with the brim ring. The original hatband was a woven leather type and looks okay, but I may make a trip to the fabric store for grosgrain ribbon. The hat is medium brown and I'm thinking a choclate brown band.

Can anyone help me with how to do the "bow"??

The hat is an inexpensive wool hat I had purchased 30 years ago out in Midland, TX when funds were short and the Sandhills Rodeo was coming up, so if I screw it up I can always wear it as a beater down on the farm in Virginia.

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, no joke James. It started out life as a Stetson "Low Places". It was the only one in the silverbelly tan in my size at the westernstore so I bought it and as soon as I got it home I hit it with the steam to get a more Wyoming style crown to it. Then, about a year later a horse tried to reshape it for me, and luckily my head wasn't in it at the time. Go figure huh?

Well G.F. it looks like Sharptoys has beaten me to the post of Dalexs how to ribbon site. That should give you everything you need to know about that. I can't wait to see your results once finished.

See Red Beard, one should never pass up a good opportunity to have a good hat. You just have to see it's future potential.

Thanks again, the real credit for a good looking hat goes to Art though. He made it a worthy lid again.
Well Art, it looks like you're going to ge an influx of western hat refurbishments coming your way. Brace your self!;)

Cheers!

Dan

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Dan

and all of the comments from you Gents!! This one was fun to work with as well as Dan's Whippet. It's good when they come out the way you want them to. Guess I'm gonna have to make more tools to gear up for the dimentional cut brims coming up.:eusa_doh:

squid

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
and all of the comments from you Gents!! This one was fun to work with as well as Dan's Whippet. It's good when they come out the way you want them to. Guess I'm gonna have to make more tools to gear up for the dimentional cut brims coming up.:eusa_doh:

So how much are we looking at for a conversion like that?

R

Red Beard

I just can't get over what a fantastic conversion that is, Art... Can you tell me, what is the final product stiffness usually like? Does it feel at all like a fedora?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I didn't try to rid the hat of stiffness Red. There are often unintended consequenses with this stuff and with different brands of hats. One of those is the "powder" effect. Many western hats ( especially Stetson) used hat powders to even out the color of the finished felt. I have soaked them in naptha to clean only to find the felt "blotchy" afterwards with no way to correct it as the powders no longer exist. This also was a favorite tool for renovators of the past. "Just powder the thing and ship it out!!" SO, when working with westerns and some fedoras doing less sometimes means a better end result.

R

Red Beard

Thanks for the explanation. I can certainly understand why a less is more approach is needed, especially when one is dealing with the potential of causing blotches! Even the WORD is frightening.

Razzman

One Too Many
Wow, Daniel that is a fantastic transformation. Both the ribbon and bow are quite nice. Another wonderful job by Art. :eusa_clap Great bash. A fine looking lid. Congratulations to both of you.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Daniel: great eyes! very hard to see the object transformed, especially when
the style of each (or each style?) is so impressed into our hat loving brains.
To have a dramatic result shown to me is really a treat-normally read about
the event-great work,Art, and I hope I can send one out to you for some similar
treatment.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally