Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steaming the straw - it works!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Well, I followed up on the discussion about my new Beaver straw hat ("Milanette weave", whatever that means) that had too deep a center dent in top of the crown. It was sticking down just a bit too far for comfort.

This straw is REALLY stiff. I fired up the kettle, got steam going and gave it a good 30 seconds of steam inside the top (kind of draped it over the spout with the spout generally pointed at the point of interest).

It took a couple of tries, but by pressing upward gently, the top of the hat gradually gave - not where my thumbs pressed, but by moving the whole center dent upwards at the back end of the dent.

Mission accomplished - hat firmed up again almost as much as the surrounding straw - after some time to look it over, that area I changed isn't quite as stiff as it was before, but it's quite firm enough to hold its shape. This is a good reason to use the minimum amount of steam. I'm wearing it today.

The only thing I'm not that thrilled about is that the sweatband may be synthetic, as it seems to bring out perspiration quickly. The style number in the hatband is S7210X. Here's the photo from the Ebay auction - the brim snaps down in front nicely. The hat isn't as white as it looks - it's a normal light tan color for straw. I have also re-located the feather to a more attractive location.

Beaver-straw-hat.jpg

Incidentally, I have found that Photobucket is much more friendly for picture uploads than WebShots is. I've started using Photobucket for all the shots I upload here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe