Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of Nick Charles, what was he always drinking?

Levallois

Practically Family
I've rediscovered the Thin Man series and my love of William Powell and Myrna Loy together on screen. What a couple! Anyhow, it seemed that Nick was always drinking something but many times it was in a smaller stemmed glass, dark in color that had to be mixed in a shaker. What cocktail would this be? I was thinking possibly a Manhattan? Any other ideas? Thanks!

John

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Levallois said:
I've rediscovered the Thin Man series and my love of William Powell and Myrna Loy together on screen. What a couple! Anyhow, it seemed that Nick was always drinking something but many times it was in a smaller stemmed glass, dark in color that had to be mixed in a shaker. What cocktail would this be? I was thinking possibly a Manhattan? Any other ideas? Thanks!

John

Are they dark? I seem to remember specifically noticing that Nick Charles' drinks are usually clear. I've often wondered the same thing myself. I sorta always assumed they were martinis, though.

In one of the movies, I think After the Thin Man, where Nick specifically orders 6 martinis for Nora!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
If, in fact, it was supposed to be something real....

Levallois said:
Anyhow, it seemed that Nick was always drinking something but many times it was in a smaller stemmed glass, dark in color that had to be mixed in a shaker. What cocktail would this be? I was thinking possibly a Manhattan? Any other ideas?
A confounding issue: I believe I've read that many costumes used during the period of Black and White film were wildly colored in real life....because of the effect they gave when filmed (i.e., the intensity of the grey produced). It might be the "cocktail" was a liquid concoction chosen only to show up well on-screen. Perhaps it was intended to "be" a particular drink...however the other possibility is that the fact it was a cocktail was shown by the impedimenta (shaker, martini glass, etc.) and the color was a purely optical choice.

Just a suggestion....
"Skeet"

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Actually, NORA orders six Martinis, to catch up with Nick.

It goes something like
Nora: "How many have you had?"
Nick: "This will make six martinis"
Nora: "Waiter? I would like five more martinis. Just line them up right here please."

In another "episode" Nick expounds on the proper way to shake a drink. A "Manhattan you shake to the foxtrot, and a Bronx" (I had to look this one up) "to two step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time."

Basically, I think there is very little in the way of cocktails that Nick Charles won't drink at any and all time and occasions.

Dagwood

Practically Family
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1tnbPBCtnI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1tnbPBCtnI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Those are some great clips, Dagwood; thanks for posting!

It has always amazed me how many drinks Nick has in each of those movies. Makes it appear impossible to solve a crime if you're sober.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Today we would call Nick a high-functioning alcoholic. There were, and are, quite a few (not that any of you should go out and try to become one). Most are not bons vivants, of course, but professionals who define themselves by their work.

There were a lot of musicians in that era who were this way - some of whom put away staggering volumes of the stuff. My favorite leader, Joe Haymes, basically couldn't function without alcohol and had to leave the road a couple of times to dry out. But he always made beautiful music. However, his reputation as a drunk overshadowed his music, and eventually, he was left arranging for other bands.

A late jazz nut acquaintance of mine set up an interview with Joe in the 50s in a bar in LA. It turned into a bender as this young fellow got so wrecked trying to keep up with Haymes that he forgot all the questions he'd wanted to ask. He had a great time, but he learned very little.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I agree with martini, however, I think Nick would drink just about anything that was handed to him or passing by on a waiters tray. lol

I just watched the clips posted above and yup, he'd drink just about anything.lol

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Today we would call Nick a high-functioning alcoholic. There were, and are, quite a few (not that any of you should go out and try to become one). Most are not bons vivants, of course, but professionals who define themselves by their work.

I have one cocktail every evening after work, because I like it and as prescribed by "The Lancet", UK medical journal. I mentioned this to a friend and she told me I am an alcoholic!
Have we come to this, that if you enjoy anything you must be addicted to it?:eusa_doh:

mike

Call Me a Cab
Paradise Cocktail

Not the Thin Man but...there's that great opening scene of William Powell in One Way Passage with Kay Francis where the bartender goes to great lengths to make a Paradise Cocktail. Looking it up online, it isn't anywhere near as complex as he makes it out to be but I'd love to give this a try someday! Anyone had one before?

The Paradise is one of the lesser known classic cocktails that has long been a favorite aperitif. Where the Martini is dry the Paradise is sweet and fruity and a nice precursor to summer dinners. If you can use fresh squeezed orange juice to compliment the gin. And, for the gin a London dry like Martin Miller's is perfect. This is the neat version of the drink, but a Paradise shooter is also pretty popular.
Prep Time: :
Cook Time: :
Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 oz gin
* 1 oz apricot brandy
* 2 oz orange juice

Preparation:

1. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Shake well.
3. Strain into a well-chilled cocktail glass.

Levallois

Practically Family
I got tired of depending on Netflix for my Thin Man fix and bought the box set of DVDs yesterday and watching 4 of the 6 Thin Man movies over the weekend, I think those that said that Nick would drink about anything are on the money. Even in other peoples apartments and homes he drank whatever he could find on the table. Having said that, the folks who said Martini are his favorite are probably correct as well - there are a lot of Martinis being gulped in these movies. There are other times where he has a martini glass filled with a brown cocktail that comes out of a shaker. I would have to think that this was a Manhattan. All in all, a fantasy of the life of the rich and hammered in the 30s and 40s, but a delightful fantasy.

John

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cigarband said:
I have one cocktail every evening after work, because I like it and as prescribed by "The Lancet", UK medical journal. I mentioned this to a friend and she told me I am an alcoholic!
Have we come to this, that if you enjoy anything you must be addicted to it?:eusa_doh:
Only the scolds have come to this.

Thankfully, the state of Iowa still considers up to four servings in a two-hour sitting to be "low-risk" drinking.

David V

A-List Customer
Notice how the glasses are half the size of what you'd get now.

I made myself a martini the other night and realized my glass was only half full.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David V said:
Notice how the glasses are half the size of what you'd get now.

I made myself a martini the other night and realized my glass was only half full.

That's called optimism in some circles!

Yes, the big cocktails are not only anachronistic, but silly, They get warm before you're done with them. And since (like all vices) half the pleasure is in the preparation and the paraphernalia, you may as well make two and have them cold!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Cigarband said:

My sister is just like your friend. If you even look at a bottle sideways you need the 12 step program.lol It's a running joke in the rest of the family. She was really all over my poor brother who didn't even start drinking alcohol until his 40s. She's labeled him an alcoholic (he's not) because when he came in contact with her after having a couple of beers he was finally able to tell her what he thought about her. lol He's very passive and usually won't stand up for himself but if he's had a beer or two it loosens his tongue and he speaks his mind. I guess it was easier for her to blame the alcohol then to actually sit down with him to discuss his grievances with her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld