Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of back bows, a new acquisition...

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Though an avowed 2 1/2"-brim kinda guy, I took a shot at this Royal De Luxe with a sorta telescope crown. It's got a 2" brim, 4" crown, 2 1/8" ribbon with bow in the back:
detail

detail

detail

It's in excellent shape (I've only vacuum-brushed it), with very clean liner, cellophane and sweat.
detail

detail

Even though it's a different look for me, and I wasn't real confident with it, I've gotten compliments from strangers wearing it with both a sports coat and leather jacket.
detail

detail

It doesn't say "Royal De Luxe" on the liner, so I assume it's pre-late '40s. Best guesses as to age?

Nice hat. Stetson, Dobbs, Mallory and Champ were all making those back bow hats in the late 1950s. They were popular at that time and in the 1930s. The 1930s hats had a wider brim though.
Champ 1957:
57champhat.jpg

Mallory 1957
57mallorytrafalgar.jpg

Stetson Viscount 1958
1958StetsonViscount.jpg

Not all of these are porkpies or telescope tops but they have the same backbow and style. I would say your hat is from the same time period.

Regards to all,

J

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Strange Back-Bow Hat pics

Here are the pics I mentioned in my thread - of the strangely-styled backbow hat that came with a lot of several hats I bought a while back.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/backbow1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/backbow2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/backbowilabel.jpg

Unlike the Stetson, you won't catch me wearing this thing in public, but I kept it as a curiosity nonetheless. It has an ogee-blocked small brim, and it's definitely "girly" looking, though its label states "Custom Made - A Crown for Every Man". Coulda fooled me! At best, it looks like a distant cousin of the French Revolution citizens' hats from the movies (Scarlet Pimpernel 1982 - Ian McKellan as Chauvelin).

Any ideas on age or origin on this one - not that it matters! This might appeal to those who find that silly kepi-fedora-ballcap type attractive...

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Hey, Aquia33,

Now that's a sharp lid - a similar shape the the gray Stetson w/backbow that I just received.

BTW, for you DC area oldtimers: the aforementioned Stetson has an late 50's - early 60's Hecht Co. price sticker inside the band ($15.00)!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL...Boy, talk about calling on a higher authority BB...
These hats are from the late 50s-early 60s and actually were popular at the time. I don't particularly like them on me, but on another face...maybe.

Never can tell

To my eye, that hat looks better on you than it does on the stand. Like you, I ain't much for brims narrower than 2 1/2 inches, and I generally prefer them a bit more generous than that. But seeing how good that hat looks on your noggin, I may have to reconsider. Never thought I'd care for a back bow, either. But again, that hat has me rethinking. It's a great find (where'd you get it?), and that it is a relatively rare style makes it all the more desirable. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken